Ask us your Maltese health questions! Answered by registered veterinary technician - Page 20 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdawn View Post
My sisters 1 year old maltese had gotten very matted on his back legs when he was left with my father back in july. We had gone on vacation and he was watching him. Saddly the matting was so bad even the groomer ( who is wonderful) said this had to be shave. Now again this was back in july and he still has VERY little hair on his back legs. He looks really bad with his long flowly coat and shaved back legs. is there something that can be done to help him grow his coat back? I know some dogs have slow growing hair but his is growing slower then well a snail. I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to help him and grow his coat back out so his little legs wont be so cold when he goes out.
Hi Cindy,

There is something you can do nutritionally to aid in hair growth.

First of all, if he's not already on a canine multi-vitamin, I would suggest doing that. Mine love them as treats or you can get the liquid kind that you pour over his food. Also, fish oil capsules are full of anti-oxidants that can help with hair growth. Give him one a day -- or if the capsules are too big -- cut one open and put it on his food.

The other thing you can try is adding foods full of Vitamins A, E, and C to his meals. Fruits and vegetables containing vitamin A are canned pumpkin, cantaloupe, mango, squash, sweet potato, spinach and carrots. Vegetables that have vitamin C are broccoli and potatoes.Vegetables with vitamin E are sweet potatoes, turnips and spinach.

My suggestion -- and the ones my dogs like -- is to put a bit of roasted sweet potato, spinach and carrots in his food at every meal. It doesn't have to be a lot, maybe a teaspoon of each but that will give him extra nutritional value he may not be getting right now from his regular food.

If you choose to do that, give him small amounts of the vegetables at first, gradually increasing to a teaspoon per meal over a period of 4-5 days. This will give his stomach time to adjust to the new food without upsetting it.

Hope this helps. (Of course, he could just be one of those little dogs whose hair doesn't grow very fast -- but in any case the extra vitamins won't hurt him.)

Cate RVT

Royal Pet Club

Natural Pet Spa and Wellness Products
www.royalpetclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
my 6 month old louie has been having more than usual eye goopys. He also has been rubbing his head against the ground too. I checked his ears and they look pink and ok.. just a little bit of ear wax from what i can tell. Im thinking it could be allergies? He has been acting normal other than that and biting at his tail. any suggestions before i made an expensive visit to the vet tomorrow?!?! thank u!
Hi Kayleigh,

I agree with you. It does sound like allergies, specifically atopy --- meaning he's allergic to airborne pollens, dust, etc.

Here are some suggestions: If he's not already on a grain-free food, switch him to one. Foods with corn or wheat in them tend to exacerbate allergies in certain dogs. You'll want to gradually mix in his new food with his old over a period of a week to 10 days, slowly increasing the new while removing the old in order to avoid any stomach upsets.

Buy some baby wipes with aloe at the store and wipe his feet, belly, and face every time he comes in from outside. If he is atopic, he's carrying the allergens in on his feet and face and that just makes the itching worse.

Watch for any sores or scratches to develop on his from all the itching and biting. You don't want to deal with any kind of secondary skin infections if you can help it.

If those things don't work, then a trip to the vet might be in order, particularly if you notice any sores.

Hope this helps,

Cate RVT

Royal Pet Club

www.royalpetclub.com
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #193 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksm4 View Post
Hello Cate ,

how are you?

I have a question about female heat Becky went in her heat about 2 weeks ago and since not interested in eating much and more quiet does not want to really play ??? just calmer than usual ??? are these things normal in females in heat? do they go through changes ?? we did not spay her yet because of her bile acids high we are waiting to be sure she 100 % stable first .

thank you

Anna
Hi Anna,

I think you might want to take her to her vet as soon as possible and I'll tell you why.

She may be suffering from what is called pyometra. Its an infection of the uterus that occurs in unspayed females usually 2 to 3 weeks after a heat cycle. The disease can be either open or closed -- meaning sometimes you'll see a vaginal discharge and sometimes you won't. Either way, pyometra can be very painful and serious.

You didn't say if she was running a fever, but her lethargy and not wanting to eat is indicative of fever and possible infection. Your vet can check her out and let you know if this is the problem or not. If it is, she'll need to be spayed immediately, bile acids or not, because if left untreated, pyometra can be fatal. If its not a problem, then at least your mind will be at rest.

I don't want to scare you, but this can be a serious problem.

Please take her to the vet and then let us know how she's doing.

Cate RVT

Royal Pet Club

www.royalpetclub.com
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #194 (permalink)

Name: Courtney D'Anne
Dog's Name: Tiffany & Bimini

I adopted Tiffany a year ago from my local shelter, she had so much flea dirt on her she was grey and didn't even look like a Maltese. From her ribs back had no hair. I've kept her on comfortis and flea free for a year now. She also gets cortisone shots when needed. I can't get her hair to grow back though or get the yeasty smell to go away. I use medicated shampoo which I think is drying her skin out (she's flakey in spots) but the Dr insists that's the treatment for this. I have given her a teaspoon of plain yogurt a couple of times for the yeast but I'm really scared to do that you get such conflicting information off the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions or advice? Are we going to have to deal with a bald rear end forever?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney d'anne View Post
I adopted Tiffany a year ago from my local shelter, she had so much flea dirt on her she was grey and didn't even look like a Maltese. From her ribs back had no hair. I've kept her on comfortis and flea free for a year now. She also gets cortisone shots when needed. I can't get her hair to grow back though or get the yeasty smell to go away. I use medicated shampoo which I think is drying her skin out (she's flakey in spots) but the Dr insists that's the treatment for this. I have given her a teaspoon of plain yogurt a couple of times for the yeast but I'm really scared to do that you get such conflicting information off the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions or advice? Are we going to have to deal with a bald rear end forever? Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Hi Courtney,

It sounds like Tiffany was probably neglected and ill-treated before you got her, so I suspect she was also malnourished which would inhibit hair growth. I'm going to repeat some suggestions I gave to an earlier poster because they might work for Tiffany as well.

There is something you can do nutritionally to aid in hair growth.

First of all, if she's not already on a canine multi-vitamin, I would suggest doing that. Mine love them as treats or you can get the liquid kind that you pour over his food. Also, fish oil capsules are full of anti-oxidants that can help with hair growth. Give her one a day -- or if the capsules are too big -- cut one open and put it on her food.

The other thing you can try is adding foods full of Vitamins A, E, and C to his meals. Fruits and vegetables containing vitamin A are canned pumpkin, cantaloupe, mango, squash, sweet potato, spinach and carrots. Vegetables that have vitamin C are broccoli and potatoes.Vegetables with vitamin E are sweet potatoes, turnips and spinach.***The plain, fat-free yogurt you're giving now is full of Vitamin A and E and is actually very good for her digestion. I don't recommend that you stop giving it, in fact, if she likes it, just add it into her food with the vegetables. Its very good for her.

My suggestion -- and the ones my dogs like -- is to put a bit of roasted sweet potato, spinach and carrots in her food at every meal. It doesn't have to be a lot, maybe a teaspoon of each but that will give her extra nutritional value he may not be getting right now from his regular food. But make sure the veggies are either fresh or frozen, canned veggies contain way too much sodium for her.

If you choose to do that, give her small amounts of the vegetables at first, gradually increasing to a teaspoon per meal over a period of 4-5 days. This will give her stomach time to adjust to the new food without upsetting it.

Also, if she's not already on a grain-free food, switch her to one. Foods with corn or wheat in them tend to exacerbate allergies and yeast infections in certain dogs. You'll want to gradually mix in her new food with her old over a period of a week to 10 days, slowly increasing the new while removing the old in order to avoid any stomach upsets.

Your vet is correct about the medicated shampoo to get rid of her yeast problems. However, if its okay with your vet, you could also try using a very mild oatmeal-based canine shampoo for the times you don't need the medicated bath. The oatmeal in the shampoo works to hold in moisture in the skin and hair.

Hope this helps. Let us know how she does if you decide on the nutritional route. By building up her immune system with the extra nutrients, you should also be able to get rid of some of her skin issues.

Cate RVT

Royal Pet Club

www.royalpetclub.com
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #196 (permalink)

Name: Courtney D'Anne
Dog's Name: Tiffany & Bimini

Thank you so much!! I am feeding grain free but that's giving me entirely different problems.. She uses puppy pads (she was already trained that way) and all the grain free brands I've tried have given very runny and extremely smelly poop.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney d'anne View Post
Thank you so much!! I am feeding grain free but that's giving me entirely different problems.. She uses puppy pads (she was already trained that way) and all the grain free brands I've tried have given very runny and extremely smelly poop.

Courtney,

Try giving her some canned pumpkin with her meals -- about 1/2 teaspoon will do. Its not only high in the Vitamin C and A she needs, but it will help with the diarrhea. Make sure its the plain, canned pumpkin, not the spiced kind used for pies. Plus, if you start adding the vegetables to her meals, the extra fiber will help firm up her stools.

Also, even if she was trained on puppy pads, you can still crate train her so that she will eventually be completely house trained. I am NOT a believer in puppy pads, I think that's a terrible way to house train a dog because it lets them believe that its okay to go in the house -- and its a terrible mess for you.

I am going to link you to some articles on crate training below. Remember, dogs are descended from den animals. They see their crates as a safe place, so crate training her is actually very natural for her. All of my dogs are crate trained and their crates are their "safe" places. At night at bedtime -- and at times during the day when they want to just get away and relax -- the crate is where my dogs go voluntarily to sleep. Read the articles below and write me back if you have questions.

Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States

01 Crate-Training for Adult Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Crate Expectations | Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan

Hope this helps.

Cate RVT

Royal Pet Club

www.royalpetclub.com

Last edited by royalpetclub; 11-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #198 (permalink)

I do have to disagree with the pee pad situation only because I live in a very rural area. Several of my neighbors have lost their pets right off of the back porch from Mountain Lions. We also have Eagles and Owls and hawks that easily could carry away a tiny Maltese. My dogs use pee pee pads for that reason. I have had very little problem with them when we travel because we put the Pee pee pads into the restroom area of where ever we are staying and they eliminate on the pads. Yes, it is stinky, but only until the pee pee pads are changed, and they are after each use. Sometimes it is a necessity to have your dog use the pads. it's for their own safety. ( also live somewhere where in the winter time it is common for the outside temperature to be well below freezing in the middle of the day, not to mention at night) which isn't very good for the dog or the owner. Occasionally we get over 4-5 feet of snow as well. hard to see a little white dog on a sea of white.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #199 (permalink)

Confused Lactating Female Maltese Blood in Urine today

Hi. My female Maltese Lexi gave birth 30 days ago today. she had two puppies. the second pup, a female, was stillborn. The Surviving puppy, also a female is healthy. both pups weighed in at 8 ozs at birth, and were quite large for their mommy. She had a difficult birth. The vet saw both her and the puppy, and determined that they both were well and removed the puppies dewclaws. everything checked out. She eats Blue Buffalo Chicken and Oatmeal with Life Source Bits mixed with Blue Buffalo Grain Free chicken. Occasionally I do give her poached chicken breast as a treat. I have been giving her cottage cheese because she is nursing.
Today, Lexi was playing with her pup and acting normally. I have noticed however that she just doesn't seem like she feels well. I would expect her to be more tired than normal, and more likely to sleep because it is draining to be a lactating mom. but you can see in her eyes, she doesn't feel well. Her temperature is 100.9 degrees. this evening, she urinated on her pee pee pad, and there was blood in her urine. it was yellow urine, but there was a significant amount in the center of the urine like at the tail end of her urine stream) that appeared quite red. I am concerned obviously. we live in a very rural area, and the closest veterinary hospital on a Friday is over an hour and a half drive away. They are predicting flash flooding right now and therefore it is possible that we wouldn't make there anyway due to road closure. please advise. would it be a good idea to give her pedialyte or just plain water? She will see the vet on Monday, but for the weekend I am wanting to make her as comfortable as possible. I want to do what is best for her. If you could advise what I should give her to eat or drink would be helpful Thank you!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #200 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpetclub View Post
Courtney,

I am NOT a believer in puppy pads, I think that's a terrible way to house train a dog because it lets them believe that its okay to go in the house -- and its a terrible mess for you.

Cate RVT
I have to respectfully disagree with you. For some people the wee wee pads work well. If a dog is pad trained well, they do not go all over the house -- just on their pad. Heidi was trained to go both on a pad and outside. When she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, she was placed on lasix among other things and would have to urinate constantly. If she wasn't pad trained this would have been so hard on her.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement