Ask us your Maltese health questions! Answered by registered veterinary technician - Page 22 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #211 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmojeda View Post
I have a 6 wk old puppy and she has this staining on her muzzle and front paws only.. What is it? Have u seen this before. I read it may be from nursing or mom licking excessively??Attachment 105452Attachment 105453


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Hi Lisa,

Yes, it looks very much like the red staining you see from tears and licking on adult Maltese. Read the answer above I gave to Donna about tear staining:


"Some of the studies I've read point to the "red yeast" being an environmental allergen that profligates in the moisture of the tear ducts or the saliva on damp hair and skin. You'll notice the same color on white dogs especially who constantly lick and chew on their paws or legs.

Some experts point to the oxidation of saliva and tears and recommend not feeding dog food heavy in grains and cereals to alleviate the issue. Others point to allergies and the pH or mineral content of your dog's drinking water that gets carried over into his system creating the red stains.

Dr. Kristy Conn of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine and the University of Minnesota Veterinary School says that the red staining is due to accumulation of a pigment called porphyrin which is found in tears and saliva."

I suspect that Dr. Conn is right on the money with her supposition -- and it came from the mother's licking -- as my white dog gets the same red staining without the tear stains.

As your puppy ages, that color will eventually wear off as the hair grows out. A good soft oatmeal shampoo or even a mild canine shampoo with whitener will help with that.

I have to say I am a bit concerned that your puppy is only 6 weeks old and away from the mother -- unless she is, of course, a puppy you bred. Most puppies don't completely wean until 8 weeks and yours may not have gotten all the nutrients and immunity from his mother that is needed.

Just a suggestion: Don't take your puppy around other dogs until she is completely vaccinated and make sure she is getting enough nutrients in the food. If your new puppy appears lethargic at any point, see your veterinarian immediately.

These little guys are pretty fragile even as adults and a puppy at this young age can easily pick up diseases and/or parasites and be unable to ward them off the way an older puppy can.

Hope this helps.

Cate RVT
__________________

Royal Pet Club

Natural Pet Spa and Wellness Products
www.royalpetclub.com

Last edited by royalpetclub; 12-03-2012 at 12:25 AM.
royalpetclub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #212 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lynzodolly's Avatar
 
Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland Ayr
Posts: 726
Default

Thanks so much for your help I really really appreciate your help x
Lynzodolly is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #213 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lmojeda's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpetclub View Post
Hi Lisa,

Yes, it looks very much like the red staining you see from tears and licking on adult Maltese. Read the answer above I gave to Donna about tear staining:


"Some of the studies I've read point to the "red yeast" being an environmental allergen that profligates in the moisture of the tear ducts or the saliva on damp hair and skin. You'll notice the same color on white dogs especially who constantly lick and chew on their paws or legs.

Some experts point to the oxidation of saliva and tears and recommend not feeding dog food heavy in grains and cereals to alleviate the issue. Others point to allergies and the pH or mineral content of your dog's drinking water that gets carried over into his system creating the red stains.

Dr. Kristy Conn of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine and the University of Minnesota Veterinary School says that the red staining is due to accumulation of a pigment called porphyrin which is found in tears and saliva."

I suspect that Dr. Conn is right on the money with her supposition -- and it came from the mother's licking -- as my white dog gets the same red staining without the tear stains.

As your puppy ages, that color will eventually wear off as the hair grows out. A good soft oatmeal shampoo or even a mild canine shampoo with whitener will help with that.

I have to say I am a bit concerned that your puppy is only 6 weeks old and away from the mother -- unless she is, of course, a puppy you bred. Most puppies don't completely wean until 8 weeks and yours may not have gotten all the nutrients and immunity from his mother that is needed.

Just a suggestion: Don't take your puppy around other dogs until she is completely vaccinated and make sure she is getting enough nutrients in the food. If your new puppy appears lethargic at any point, see your veterinarian immediately.

These little guys are pretty fragile even as adults and a puppy at this young age can easily pick up diseases and/or parasites and be unable to ward them off the way an older puppy can.

Hope this helps.

Cate RVT
She was a rescue thrown in a dumpster. That's the only reason she is so young.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #214 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmojeda View Post
She was a rescue thrown in a dumpster. That's the only reason she is so young.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa --

Ahhh, poor baby. And good for you for taking her in.

The best thing for her now is good nutrition to help build up her immune system. Ask your vet for a recommendation on a good puppy food and a multi-vitamin. That will get her started on building muscle and bone mass that all babies need.

Kudos to you for being her savior.

Cate RVT
__________________

Royal Pet Club

Natural Pet Spa and Wellness Products
www.royalpetclub.com
royalpetclub is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #215 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
maltese manica's Avatar
 
Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,588
Default

please any advise for my friend Lynzodolly and her little one Albert would be great.
This is her message to me today........................

Hi Hun not good news I am on my way to a vets university hospital with Albert he's had bloods done and has suspected bone cancer . I might not be on here for a while , he is dying , he is going for a full blood transfusion and bone marrow tests , I'm glad I'm insured as this is going to cost around 4000 in bills if he makes it please say a prayer for us both . I will try come on here tonight and contact you with news but its not looking good I am so so upset xxx
maltese manica is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #216 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese manica View Post
please any advise for my friend Lynzodolly and her little one Albert would be great.
This is her message to me today........................

Hi Hun not good news I am on my way to a vets university hospital with Albert he's had bloods done and has suspected bone cancer . I might not be on here for a while , he is dying , he is going for a full blood transfusion and bone marrow tests , I'm glad I'm insured as this is going to cost around 4000 in bills if he makes it please say a prayer for us both . I will try come on here tonight and contact you with news but its not looking good I am so so upset xxx
Hi Janene,

I am so sorry to hear about Albert. What a devastating diagnosis for Lynzodolly.

She's taking him to the best place possible for treatment. Hopefully, the blood transfusion and bone marrow testing will help. Unfortunately, if the cancer is not located in just one area -- one leg, for example -- this type of illness is hard to treat and beat back. They may offer her the options of chemotherapy or radiation.

Radiation in animals has the same effects as it does in humans -- hardening of tissue and burning. Chemotherapy, on the other hand, doesn't seem to affect them the same way it does us. They don't get nauseous, just get the overall tiredness.

I really hope little Albert is not in pain and Lynzodolly finds some answers.

Please let her know I'll be praying for her baby.

Cate RVT
__________________

Royal Pet Club

Natural Pet Spa and Wellness Products
www.royalpetclub.com

Last edited by royalpetclub; 12-05-2012 at 02:35 PM.
royalpetclub is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #217 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
maltese manica's Avatar
 
Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,588
Default

thanks for you reply! I think this is the part of life that I really hate is to see anyone sick or dying......................... I would not be a great vet tech! anyways I will post your response! thanks again!
maltese manica is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com