Snowball's Vaccine Reaction - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

It is now recorded in Snowball's chart that he is absolutely allergic to the rabies vaccine. He was injected in the hind right leg with the Merial Rabies Vaccine Killed Virus Imrab 3TF.

Because he has had a serious allergic reaction to the vaccine ... he will no longer receive any future rabies vaccines. After the three year expiration date ... he will only be titered. And, he will be waived from any further rabies vaccines. So, Michelle and Edie, yes, Snowball receives a health waiver for future rabies vaccines. My personal opinion was that he should have had a waiver this time around. More about that later ...

We waited in the vet office after the rabies vaccination for at least twenty minutes, paid the bill, and then got in the car. Before Felix even turned the key in the ignition, Snowball threw up. So, right back into the vet hospital we went again.

His vet said that it was just probably stress related and thus, an upset tummy. She suggested to administer a little more Benydryl and Cerenia. She felt this would help calm Snowball down. I told her that when we were leaving the first time that Snowball was going crazy growling and jumping up at every staff member that tried to get close to him! (I think Snowball was probably PO'd for getting probed and poked so much!). Anyway, that was the first thing that upset me ... he never acts like that in the office. It was so not Snowball.

And, then ... during the second visit, after he threw up, the hospital had run out of Cerenia!! Yes, Sue ... I couldn't believe that either. They said they had an unusual amount of sick dogs needing it that day ... but, still. So, the doctor asked us if we could please wait there a while until they checked with other local hospitals to get the Cerenia. A staff member went to a nearby hospital (probably our 24 hour ER vet hospital) and brought back the Cerenia for Snowball.

After the vet thought things were calming down with Snowball ... we decided it was best to bring him home so that he could relax and start to feel better. NOT!

Snowball was so terribly restless in the car ... scratching and trying to get out of his carseat. I finally had to untether him and try and hold him. It didn't help. We were almost home so decided to see if he would calm down after getting into the house. I thought maybe with all the stress that he just might have been holdng on to do a BM. Well, he did run upstairs and did healthy size solid BM's right away. So, I thought he would be okay then. Not so ...

He rolled over on his tummy, while scratching all over. When we tried to rub his tummy he cried. And, then he would stand up and either cry or sound as though he couldn't breathe ... it really got scary. So, we called back the hospital. His doctor said to give him a little bit more Benydryl and give it about ten minutes to work. And, if it didn't work, to come back. And, yes, Sandi ... you are right. Twenty minutes can be a lifetime if one is having difficulty breathing! So, back we went ... right away for the third trip to the hospital! And, yes, Sandi ... it was the Merial TF3 vaccine. (I have a copy of the label and one is in his chart) He was given the vaccine in front of us.

By the time we got there for the third visit ... the doctor who had given him the rabies vaccine injection had gone home. So, this time he was seen by another vet who was very helpful and answered a lot of questions for us. She was the one who let us know it was officially in Snowball's chart that he had an adverse reaction to the rabies vaccine ... and, that a report would or was sent to Merial. (I want Felix and I too make our own report, too). Also, the second vet who saw him on the third return visit today, said that Snowball throwing up was the FIRST thing that can happen when a dog is having an adverse reaction to the rabies vaccine! It is not the money that we are to be compensated for that I want. It's more about the same dosage as given to a hundred pound dog. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

The vet who saw him the third time around gave him a little bit more Benydryl and one very low dose steroid shot. She said that would calm everything down for him. The great thing was that one of our favorite techs, Joanne, who has known Snowball since his first visit over seven years ago ... help and cuddled him on her lap until it was time to bring Snowball back out to us. What a difference coming home in the car ... he was very relaxed.

There are a few more things I would like to share ... but, I want to be careful and think more how to bring some things up that are bothering me and Felix about the whole experience.

In the meantime ... Snowball wanted to eat earlier on ... so, I gave him some boiled chicken and a few Cherrios (I know, I know Sylvia ... a few crappy Cherrios!) I boiled some more chicken amd rice for later. Just a while ago he was up in his window seat bed barking at the neighbors. So, please keep the prayers coming that when the meds wear off ... he will continue to return to his good ole self again.

Once agaain, dear friends ... thank you so much for being there for us. I will give a little update tomorrow. I probably won't sleep much tonight ... I want to watch Snowball like a hawk.

Love and hugs to everyone of you!

Marie

Last edited by maggieh; 11-01-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: OP request
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

The above post was copied here at Marie's request; for those who might be interested, the original thread is: https://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-m...-snowball.html
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Thank you so much, Maggie, for your help in copying my post over to this forum.