My Lola's adverse reaction to rabies shot - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
KAG
Maltese Guru

Name: Kerry
Dog's Name: Lola and Crisse in Heaven, Darla and Fallon
Heart My Lola's adverse reaction to rabies shot

I remember my Lola's adverse reaction to the rabies shot. I'm beginning to hate this vaccine as much as GME. Poor baby even had mushy poo for days after taking Interceptor for heart worm prevention. Lola died at the age of 5 on her way to being diagnosed with GME. Any connection to the rabies shot? I'd take my chances and bet my life on it. Do I have any proof? No. You can't tell me this vaccination doesn't affect the immune system.

I wrote the above paragraph the other day on the other thread. Yes, Lola's reaction was horrible. I remember she was pacing around, couldn't stay still, couldn't relax. Pick me up, put me down. Touching her was just about out of the question. My Vet said Lola's reaction was that of a person with flu like symptoms. He administered a shot of dexamethazone. I'm being honest when I say I don't recall what happened after that. Meaning, when did Lola start feeling better, that kind of thing. I do remember calling the manufacturer of the vaccine days later to report to the Vet there my girl's reaction. I know my Vet did as well. Over the course of her short life, Lola was titer tested.

I'm sorry I sound like a dolt. My memory is shot. Somewhere I have Lola's records. It would behoove you to have access to such records so you don't sound like me. Lol

I'm also sorry I didn't have an autopsy or necropsy done on my beautiful girl. Maybe it would have helped in the study. I wasn't thinking at the time.
Xoxoxoxox

Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Cindy Miller
Dog's Name: Lacey

I'm so sorry for your loss! And you are not a dolt at all! When we are dealing with these hard times things get muddled in our heads. You did your best at the time!
cynthia's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Kerry - I know how hard it is to bring back up these memories. Thank you for posting this, dear friend!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin), & the original...Zoe in heaven

Thank you Kerry for sharing your heartbreaking experience with us along with good advice, if God forbid, one of us loses one of our babies like you did. I know this was painful for you to go through those memories again. You did everything humanly possible for your beautiful girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
I remember my Lola's adverse reaction to the rabies shot. I'm beginning to hate this vaccine as much as GME. Poor baby even had mushy poo for days after taking Interceptor for heart worm prevention. Lola died at the age of 5 on her way to being diagnosed with GME. Any connection to the rabies shot? I'd take my chances and bet my life on it. Do I have any proof? No. You can't tell me this vaccination doesn't affect the immune system.

I wrote the above paragraph the other day on the other thread. Yes, Lola's reaction was horrible. I remember she was pacing around, couldn't stay still, couldn't relax. Pick me up, put me down. Touching her was just about out of the question. My Vet said Lola's reaction was that of a person with flu like symptoms. He administered a shot of dexamethazone. I'm being honest when I say I don't recall what happened after that. Meaning, when did Lola start feeling better, that kind of thing. I do remember calling the manufacturer of the vaccine days later to report to the Vet there my girl's reaction. I know my Vet did as well. Over the course of her short life, Lola was titer tested.

I'm sorry I sound like a dolt. My memory is shot. Somewhere I have Lola's records. It would behoove you to have access to such records so you don't sound like me. Lol

I'm also sorry I didn't have an autopsy or necropsy done on my beautiful girl. Maybe it would have helped in the study. I wasn't thinking at the time.
Xoxoxoxox
Kerry, thank you so much for taking time to repost the first paragraph ... and, the rest of your post, too.

Dolt, huh? You are one of the smartest women that I know, my dear friend.

Love you so much.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jeanne
Dog's Name: Joy, Billye, Glory Girl, Pinkie,Lulu, Vinnie

Kerry I agree, I do NOT like the rabies shot at all! So sorry for the loss of your precious Lola.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

It just breaks my heart to know how you and your little girl suffered -- and yes, I too am convinced it had something to do with the rabies shot. I am really so terribly sorry that you went through so much. And-- it's completely understandable that you have difficulty recalling the timing of everything that occurred. It was such a time of high stress and I'm sure you were just trying to cope as best you could.

Thank you for the important reminder to always keep complete records in an easily accessible place in case they are needed.

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Kerry, since you don't share much I find this posting especially relevant---and I take it seriously. Thank you for posting your heart here. I won't ever give Lisi the rabies again either---or any vaccine if I can find a way around it.
May your sweet Lola RIP---I know you miss her.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I'm really happy that this study is going on. The vaccines really are frightening and I do believe that they have something to do with compromising the immune system. I know that there has to be protection for the diseases that our fluffs could get without the vaccines, but a safer way to do it is what we need. I'm so sorry for what you and Lola went through. I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak! Dewey gets his three yr.Rabies in November , and I 'm a nervous wreck!!i'm taking the day off work and hanging around the vets office just in case something happens.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

Deb, when Bayleigh had her reaction (I'll post the story when I'm a little less stressed), they pre-dosed her with benedryl and I waited 30 minutes afterwards at the office...didn't even make it home and had to race back. I'd wait at least an hour even if they don't think its necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
I'm really happy that this study is going on. The vaccines really are frightening and I do believe that they have something to do with compromising the immune system. I know that there has to be protection for the diseases that our fluffs could get without the vaccines, but a safer way to do it is what we need. I'm so sorry for what you and Lola went through. I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak! Dewey gets his three yr.Rabies in November , and I 'm a nervous wreck!!i'm taking the day off work and hanging around the vets office just in case something happens.

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement