Lexie & Bayleigh's vaccination story - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)
Default Lexie & Bayleigh's vaccination story

Lexie has always been a very healthy maltese and never had any issues with vaccines, except the rabies. While she had no physical symptoms from the early rabies vaccines, we did discover a lump at the injection site. I had it removed the same time as her spay thinking it could be cancerous, and they told me it was vaccine related. She never had any further reactions until the last couple of rabies vaccinations and then just felt lethargic for a few days after each. Progressively worse for each one.

When I first got Bayleigh (my yorkie), she was as healthy as could be and had the usual puppy vaccines. I was obviously not as informed as I should have been and counted on my vet to proceed with vaccinations in her best interest. Looking back, I think we went too fast with too many, I wasn't aware of the thimerasol free rabies, and I won't be making those mistakes ever again.

At her first checkup she was given DA2P & Caronavirus.
One week later Bordatella & Parvo
2 weeks later DA2P & Parvo

No visible issues at this point.

At 7 months, she was given her rabies 1 year vaccination (Fort Dodge Killed). This was her first reaction: swollen, itchy eyes, hair loss at injection site and constant gas. Her eyes itched to the point that she lacerated her cornea and had to be treated. After this she also developed food allergies, so needless to say we went through all the elimination diets, etc. and took her to a dermatology expert.

At 9 months, she was given Bordatella & Lyme (as we were going on an RV trip to the midwest, Lyme was recommended, would not repeat again). She had a pretty severe anaphylactic reaction. By the time we arrived home 15 minutes later, she began frantically rubbing her face all over me. I took one look at her almost swollen shut eyes and immediately took her back to the vet. She vomitted en-route and they treated her with fluids, benedryl, & prednisone. Her allergies to food got worse and she had to be on antihistamines for quite a while.

At 15 months she received DA2P & Parvo again and had an almost fatal anaphylactic reaction. They pre-dosed with benedryl and we waited 30 minutes before leaving the office. Thinking all was ok, we started home. She again started the crazy rubbing of her face and on the way back to the vet we thought we had lost her. She vomitted and immediately became limp and lifeless in my arms 4 minutes from the vet. They were ready for us and took her from my arms immediately, but I didn't have much hope. They were able to revive her, and even brought her out to me as we were leaving so I could see that she was ok. They kept her for observation and additional meds for 8 hours and told us we could pick her up. We no more got home, and it started again. We took her back and insisted that they keep her overnight. My vet agreed, and didn't charge for any of it. When we picked her up the next day, everything was good. At that point my vet agreed that she should receive no further vaccinations and informed me of the possibility of titer testing to ensure immunity, which we do, and luckily they have all returned good results.

Since then, we have had allergy testing done and found many allergies, seasonals as well. We now do pretty well aside from the occasional seasonals and the things we know her to be allergic to. My daughter makes her limited ingredient shampoo, as she can't tolerate most dog shampoos or conditioners. I keep a spreadsheet of all issues/resolutions etc., just in case, and it certainly has come in handy at times.

I am so sorry for all of you that have had to deal with vaccine related issues and am definitey on board with this study, I will support it to the best of my ability. Hopefully it will lead to good things!

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin), & the original...Zoe in heaven

Wow. You and your daughter are doing an incredible job! It can't be easy. Blessings to you all.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

Thanks Crystal...actually my husband was the one who was with me during all this, but my daughter does help with her homemade products! I also had a holistic vet for about a year, mostly for the laser treatments for Lexie's spinal issues, and she also helped with getting Bayleigh back on track with some Chinese herbs and probiotics. She helped my stepdaughter's parvo survivor, Pom/yorkie, rescue pup get back to good health too, as she was starving herself before our very eyes.

We're all good now though, except for Lexie. My vet has been preparing us for the inevitable, so I'm just keeping her comfortable and loving her as much as I can. Thankfully I'm retired and can be here to take care of her in her old age.

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement