Stuffy nose after rabies vaccine - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Lise
Dog's Name: Lily
Default Stuffy nose after rabies vaccine

Lily is 1.5 years Maltese. She has never had a reaction to a vaccine a d she has never showed any signs of having allergies. She went to the vet Wednesday afternoons do got a rabies vaccine and seemed fine after. Thursday she was lethargic which is not unusual for her after a vaccine. Friday she woke up with her nose completely clogged, with clear fluid dripping from it. I took her to the vet to have her checked out. The vet was not concerned because Lily had no fever, ate a bit of wet food for her and did not have diarrhea. So great, I thought nothing to worry about... Well Friday evening she started to get stuffed up again and wheezed from her nose and panted all night long. I stayed awake with her, I was so worried. When I got her up in the morning the wheezing subsided and she ate and drank a little bit for me. I was going to take her back to the vet but but is resting now and seems ok, only wheezing a little. Has anyone experienced this? Does this sound like a cold? An allergic reaction to the vaccine? Should I give her Benadryl? She's very little 4.5 lbs, I worry about her exhausting herself with labored breathing.
Lily Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

I have heard of reactions but not congestion. I am not sure what to tell you. I would call the vet before giving anything. I wonder if it could be coincidental. We had a sudden warm up Thursday and Friday here - who knows what that woke up. Good luck . Let us know how she's doing .
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

She may have picked up something at the vet's office? Has she had all of her shots already? It doesn't sound like a rabies reaction.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

i thought she may have picked something up at the vets too. She doesn't get out around other dogs much but I did take her to a new groomer 2 weeks ago. Maybe she was fighting something she caught there and her immunity down from the vaccine, it surfaced. I'm stumped.
And yes, she is up to date on all her shots.

Last edited by Lily Girl; 11-07-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gloria but I like Glo
Dog's Name: Patches: Dex and Daph waiting to meet her over the bridge.

It's Sat which probably means your vet closes early and is not open tomorrow. I would make a call and let them know how she is today etc. Maybe ask about the benadryl. I would not give it without asking. She is indeed tiny one.Hope she feels better really soon.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

I was thinking. Are you sure she did not get a Bordetella vaccine too? It would be a nasal spray.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
I was thinking. Are you sure she did not get a Bordetella vaccine too? It would be a nasal spray.
Actually there is also injection for Bordetella also:
Kennel cough vaccines come in three forms; those administered as an injection under the skin, those given intranasally (directly into the nostrils), and a recently released vaccine that is administered orally.

Sometimes it is together w/parainfluenza. So it may be worth checking w/the vet. Good call Walter!

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Walter read my mind. The bordatella vaccine can be spray or injection and can have a reaction similar to what you're seeing. There's a lot of controversy about that vaccine, so you may want to search this forum if that's what she got along with the rabies.

The other possibility is that she picked up something from the new groomer. Incubation for respiratory infections is usually 10 days to 2 weeks.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lily went back to the vet today. I double checked, she was given only the rabies vaccine. Vet does not think it has anything to do with vaccine either, she suggested benedryl to clear up stuffy nose, could be an allergy. Lungs sound clear so no major respiratory illness thank goodness.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Great news. Get better soon little Lily!

"Wag more Bark less"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement