Tessa reacting to rabies vaccine - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mags
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Boo (maltese) and Zach (wheaten terrier)

Hope she feels better soon.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber,Emily,Bitsy,Sasha,Sassy,Harry,Amy,Buffy,Buster,Duchess,Einie,Grechen,Max,Rosie,Rylee in heaven

I wonder if Sassy had a reaction too, she's been scratching at her back and she's on flea prevention , her skin is raw from the scratching and it was flame red when I got her.. I used an antibiotic spray to help and it's better but occasionally she still digs at it..
Emily and Sasha got theirs just a couple months ago and did the same thing but not right away..
We titer , too bad we can't for rabies..
I asked what the difference between 1 and 3 year rabies is, vet said none, they just want to make sure by doing the first one,then a year later the second,then only needed every 3 after that..

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie and Lucky (Lisa "Left Eye" at the bridge)

Poor Tessa! I hope she is feeling better! Maggie, would you mind telling me who your current primary vet is, or PMing the name to me? While we are happy with our current vet, Ozzie also had a delayed reaction years ago and our vet insisted it wasn't the vaccine but that it was a bite of some kind since it was a week later. Thankfully he has not had reactions since (and we do the 3 year now) but I'd like to keep your new vet's info at hand in case we ever want to switch. They sound like a great vet!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

I am so sorry Maggie, for Tessa and for you too...I'm all too familiar with vaccine reactions. I will pray she gets better real soon!

Yes you can titer for rabies (not for legal purposes) and it isn't too expensive, I think $75 thru Dr. Dodds at Hemopet. I have titered both of mine and have waivers for both.

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

Have you considered having the lump removed? I don't mean to scare you, but my vet recommended that if it does not dissipate in 3 months it should be removed as they can become cancerous.

Tumor Related to Vaccinations in Dogs | petMD

I have had to have them removed from both Lexie and now Georgie They were both confirmed rabies vaccine related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippersmom View Post
I hope Tessa feels better today. Pipper is due for his rabies vaccine soon and it always worries me because he has never gotten rid of the lump his very first rabies vaccine gave him. Our last dog had a permanent lump at the injection site too.

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Chloe & Summer
Send a message via AIM to donnad

Praying Tessa is feeling better today.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: (Dearest Babinka 06/09/14 at the Rainbow Bridge) Peppino, Tiny Tina, Momma Nellie & Mister Sqeaky

I am hoping that Tessa is feeling a bit better! What a horrible experience to go through!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Maggie, I am so sorry that you and Tessa are going through this.

I totally understand how upsetting this is because, as you know, Snowball had a terrible adverse reaction to his last rabies vaccination.

It really bothers me that vets, in general, seem to be in denial that the rabies vaccination is endangering the lives of so many innocent dogs. And, that adverse side effects can occur well after the rabies vaccination was given to the dog.

I have been thinking of posting on my FB page Dr.Becker's (Mercola) more recent article about the overuse of vaccinations ... including, of course, the rabies vaccination. The article goes into more detail about side effects of the rabies vaccination, including the long term side effects that can occur. I just wish that everyone whose dogs have had adverse reactions to the rabies vaccination would speak up. Otherwise, I think that the majority of veterinarians will be in denial that so many innocent dogs are being harmed by so many unnecessary vaccinations.

I think titers are proving that our fluff babies probably only need no more than two vaccinations during their whole lifetime ... but, I could be wrong. As far as titering ... in the state if Virginia, it is not good enough if your dog, God forbid, bites someone and does not have current rabies vaccinations. But, I will NEVER subject Snowball to vaccinations ever again.

Please keep us updated on Tessa. I hope she feels better soon. Sending healing hugs.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I commented on FB earlier. Gathering you're home. How is she doing? (((hugs)))
Old 12-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbflorida View Post
My vet says they do titer for rabies but it is very expensive.
Mags, there is a titer for rabies but unfortunately state laws don't recognize it as a way of containing the disease. The people influencing state laws are only concerned about containing rabies in domestic animals so it doesn't get transmitted to a human; they have no concern whatsoever for the health of the dog.
Advertisement