Leishmaniasis - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leishmaniasis

Anyone have any experience with administering a newish vaccine called Canileish, or a tablet, Leishguard, with little Maltese? Im a bit dubious about giving it to them, as it can give a bad reaction. At the moment I simply use a cinnamon repellant (not advantix, as thats supposed to give adverse reactions too) but Id hate them to actually get the disease for lack of a few tablets or a jab. Just to add, Ive not seen any dogs around here with the disease, but the vets do encourage folks to protect their dogs.
Thanks for any feedback
LilSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I know someone in Spain who adopted a dog w.this---very difficult disease. One can take precautions not to be out at dusk or early AM, but that isn't always positive enough. We had it in Greece & it is very serious. It is caused by a sandfly mostly. The tiniest of screens are not even fool-proof, but I did use one when they slept. I used a fan on them outside at night (not dusk) to help the mosquitoes stay away. I did not give the shot or meds against it due to the fact that my pups did not get chemicals. I did use my preventative essential oil spray that I mixed myself, but it was a risk I took. We never got it, but I was vigilant. I did hear of someone who gave it to a maltese (I believe it is a series of shots---2 or 3---and they did fine w. the first shot but not the 2nd one. It is sort of a crap-shoot.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I know someone in Spain who adopted a dog w.this---very difficult disease. One can take precautions not to be out at dusk or early AM, but that isn't always positive enough. We had it in Greece & it is very serious. It is caused by a sandfly mostly. The tiniest of screens are not even fool-proof, but I did use one when they slept. I used a fan on them outside at night (not dusk) to help the mosquitoes stay away. I did not give the shot or meds against it due to the fact that my pups did not get chemicals. I did use my preventative essential oil spray that I mixed myself, but it was a risk I took. We never got it, but I was vigilant. I did hear of someone who gave it to a maltese (I believe it is a series of shots---2 or 3---and they did fine w. the first shot but not the 2nd one. It is sort of a crap-shoot.
Yes, good description! Spain is really bad, Portugal has problems in some areas, not so much in my neighbourhood. The street dogs show no signs here, but only an hour away Ive seen a dog with the disease, so I do need to think about it well. The vet in my town hasnt even mentioned it. In the next town along, the vet pushes for folks to vaccinate. I already give them heartgard for heartworm, and one of mine is a bit dicey with that, inclined to bring it up again. I do worry about overdoing it with meds.
LilSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement