Say a little prayer for Dolly - Vaccine reaction - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jordan
Dog's Name: Dolly
Default Say a little prayer for Dolly - Vaccine reaction

Hi all...

What a rough Valentines it's been...

Dolly was due her (first) 3 year rabies vaccine in November. I've been hesitant about it since she's so small... so I've been avoiding it. She doesn't really go out other than flying back and forth from NYC to KY. She's very much an apartment dweller. Unfortunately the airlines changed their rules as of January 1st so now we're going back to KY to visit this weekend and they emailed me that she has to have it to fly this weekend. There was no time to argue or try and get an exemption. She's *almost* five pounds now and didn't have any issues with her first rabies so I took her into the vet today to just go ahead and have it done. We talked before hand and he seemed not to worry at all. I tend to be a hypochondriac and a huge worrier when it comes to Dolly so I thought surely I was just overreacting with my worry, and it'd just be easier to get it over with and then I wouldn't have to worry about it for three years.

I should have trusted my instincts.

She was fine when we got home... we even had time to do a cute little Valentines photoshoot. It wasn't until a few hours later I noticed her frantically rubbing her face on every blanket and dog bed that she could find. When I went to pick her up I noticed both eyes were red and swollen. Luckily we live just a block from our vet here so I called and immediately rushed her in. By the time we got there they were completely swollen shut. He gave her a shot of steroids and I brought her back home.

An hour later she was still acting very strange. Rubbing her head on everything, trying to burrow under our kitchen counters, growling at Felicia (which she has NEVER done,) panting heavily, and suffering from these horrendous jerking motions. I took her right back and they gave her another shot of steroids and a shot of benedryl. She seems better now albeit sleepy, but ugh, how scary. Now I'm watching her like a hawk.

I hate that I didn't listen to my gut and feel so bad for my girl.

The valentines pic is an hour after her vaccine. She seemed fine. The other picture was how swollen she still was 30 minutes after the first steroid shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Say a little prayer for Dolly - Vaccine reaction-fullsizerender.jpg   Say a little prayer for Dolly - Vaccine reaction-img_4635.jpg  

unicorn1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I was so very sorry to read that little Dolly had a bad experience with her Rabies shot and hope that by now she is feeling better.
Snuggle's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

I'm so sorry that Dolly had this reaction. Glad to hear she seems better now but that must have been so scary. Hope she's ok the rest of the evening.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

I am sorry hope it is temporary and she is back to herself soon.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

I am so sorry that this happened. How terrifying.Thank goodness your vet is so close by. I hope that Dolly is feeling better.
Hopefully your vet will be able to give you an exemption so that she never needs the shot again.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Patricia, so go to Dr. Dodds site & report it & have your vet report the reaction as well. I am sorry she had to go through that---Lisi can't take injections either. She is about the same size but is allergic to tons of stuff. Kitzi not as much.
Let us know how she does. Prayers for the both of you.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Jordan
Dog's Name: Dolly

Thanks guys!! The vet has already promised an exception when this one is up, which is a relief.

Tonight she seems to be on the road to normal. Little Miss was just begging for a piece of ham at dinner which is definitely a sign of improvement! She's got some scratches and raw spots on her ears/behind where she was scratching and chewing so much during the new hours and her eyes are still very red, but it's a huge improvement from earlier. Neurologically she seems to be "normal." I'll definitely be keeping a very close eye on her for the next few weeks though. Thank you all for the prayers! <3

unicorn1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Presley, and Sissy at the bridge

How awful! I hate the rabies vaccine and the stupid law behind it! We have to give it to our babies and most have like zero chance of getting rabies. Dr. Robb is working diligently to get this law overturned. Please let us know how Dolly is doing.

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Patricia, do keep good notes on all that has happened! Reactions can occur much later than you think possible. I would also include photos in that journal. Hopefully you will never need them, but you won't be sorry, if you do.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Wilson and Cooper (and Lady Bella at the bridge)

Great advice Sandi. Such a scary thing to happen. Yes, it sounds like your instincts were spot on. At least you were there and able to help her right away. How’s she feeling today?
thesummergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement