Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums (https://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php)
-   Piddle Place (https://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Potty Pads - Training older dogs to use indoor pads (https://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265422)

ckanen2n 06-07-2018 11:08 AM

Potty Pads - Training older dogs to use indoor pads

Hi!
I have not been on here in a while. My boys are Giovanni & Manny ( 6 & 5 yo).
I need advice on training the boys to use potty pads indoors.

Right now, Manny will poop on pads, but not pee. He waits quietly by the back door to go outside. Gio rings the bell on my back door and if I don't come right away, he may run back and forth from door to potty pad nervously, but never pees on potty pad.

I may be moving into a villa that probably will not let me erect any fencing and I don't want to have to walk regularly in the heat and snow.
(Moving to St. Louis. FB friends, Shh - no one knows I may move yet.)

Another complication - Manny has not been neutered due to anesthesia complications, so he wears a belly band in the house, unless confined to the kitchen/breakfast area. I can confine both in the new kitchen/breakfast which has access to a good sized laundry room.

How do I re-train them both to think potty pads are cool?
Does anyone have experience re-training older dogs? I have tried the scent spray in pet stores and the boys are not impressed.

Thanks in advance!
Carole Ann

unicorn1098 06-07-2018 12:02 PM

Hi Carole Ann,

Congrats on the impending move! How exciting! <3 My best advice would be to put them on a leash and walk them to the potty pad whenever they signal they want to go outside. We did this with my Cavalier when she got sick at the age of 5 and it worked pretty well. It took a few weeks for her to really grasp it fully until ultimately she did. Of course, once they pee on the pad, lots of reward and treats! Others here will probably have some great advice too.

ckanen2n 06-07-2018 08:46 PM

Thanks, Jordan. :thumbsup:
I hope some others chime in soon too!

Aviannah's Mom 06-08-2018 05:09 PM

Welcome back Carole, and nice to meet you. Your boys are adorable! :wub: From what I have read and heard you can retrain them to potty pads from outdoors (or vice-versa) it will just take time, patience and a lot of positive reinforcement! Treats, verbal praise or both should work as long as you keep them on a schedule. That is one more thing I love about this breed, :wub: they are so very smart! I can only speak of what I was told by a trainer and read though, :thumbsup: I am sure someone here will have some personal experience and success with this to share! :w00t:

ckanen2n 06-10-2018 01:32 PM

Thanks for the advice, Denise! Your girl is beautiful! :wub: