Update on Daisy Grace, Dad and me.. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Update on Daisy Grace, Dad and me..

Sorry I haven't been around very much the last couple of months. Life that is usually hectic has turned into chaos!!

Daisy Grace is adapting well to not being able to see-it's hard to say that "b" word. I just say that she can't see anymore. OR in the words of my 4 year old grandson, Gavin, her eyes don't work anymore. She is getting around the house fine and is her playful happy little self. Her groomer stays late and she grooms her after I have given her a bath. No others dogs around-just the 3 of us and Lisa-my WonderGroomer-talks to Daisy and loves on her like she's her own. The only problem I am having is that she is gaining weight. She eats 1/4 cup Bil-Jac Grain Free twice a day, no treats and that's it. That's what the others are eating and they are all at a good weight. Laci Jo, the long-haired Chi, has actually lost some weight that she needed to lose. I'm really worried about her weight gain. I haven't weighed her in the last few weeks but I know that she is getting chunkier.

Dad is in the last stage of dementia and in a nursing home. The cancer is back and has spread into his brain and pretty much everywhere else. He knows us one day and not the next. He's under hospice care and they are just keeping him comfortable. He got mad at me last night and told me that he was getting up and leaving. I thought to myself that I would give anything for him to be able to get up, much less leave. I just keep asking the Lord to release him from his suffering. I don't want to lose my Daddy. I've been a Daddy's girl my whole life--Superman didn't have anything on my Daddy. But because I do love him so much, it breaks my heart to see him suffer like this. My sister and I take turns at night going to see him, so he never goes a day without seeing one of us...when he knows us.

I'm worn out but otherwise OK. Taking it one day at a time. Sometimes, it's 5 minutes at a time. My furbabies keep me going. Sometimes I think that I can't put one foot in front of the other and I go in the back door and all 4 of them come flying to meet me. Makes it all seem better for a while. I have discovered the cure for just about anything that ail's a person---puppy kisses are medical miracles!!!

Thanks for listening..or reading as the case may be.
Love to all, Abby and Daisy Grace
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm so sorry you and your Dad are going through this!
I will be praying for you all.
Fur babies are definitely good medicine
djackson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Abby, thanks for checking in with us. Now we know better how to pray for you. You are doing a great job, along w/your sis with your dad. Life can be difficult at times to say the least. May God give you strength.
I am happy your girl is doing well. Have you talked w/your vet about the weight gain. Maybe it is something else?

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Boomer

So sorry your Dad is not doing well, he's lucky to have loving daughters to watch over him.
I wonder if Daisy Grace's weight gain could be due to less activity since going blind? Maybe food recommended for a less active dog would help.

luvsmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

I called the vet in Knoxville yesterday and explained to her my concerns. She said that it is not uncommon for a furbaby to gain weight after being diagnosed because is is probably not as active as she was. Well, that could be but Daisy Grace has always been a lap baby and would rather be snuggling than running. She told me to get a lower fat food and try it for a few weeks and see is there is any weight loss. She suggested Wellness Core Low Fat. Since I belong to the Dog Food Advisor Editor's Choice Forum, I decided to check on the quality of this food because I was not familiar with it. According to the forum, it is a 5 star food. Seems like the ingredients are all good. Has anyone ever used this food?
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement