Before and after pics of my puppy mill rescue - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Before and after pics of my puppy mill rescue

Hello again, it would have been nice if I told you my dog’s name! Her name is Sugarplum. The shelter I adopted her from named her “Plum” and one of the workers there called her “Sugarplum” and I kinda liked that, because they named her Plum, and Sugar is a common name for a Maltese or other white dog, and also sugarplums are associated with Christmas, and I adopted her on 12/17/19, the day before my birthday and a week before Christmas. I’ve included some before and after pics of her after I cleaned her up; she was a matted mess. I know in the before pic she looks dirty but in person, she looked and felt clean, and they had to have given her a bath before spaying her, which was done on 12/10. Anyhow, all of the groomers in town were booked for the holidays, so I did the best I could to get all of the matts out. I did, and was also able to get rid of most of that rust colored discoloration. She looks like a totally different dog in the after pic. So now I’ll just get her professionally groomed just before Valentine’s Day, which is about 6 weeks from now. I think I’m going to keep her short all over but let her ears grow long, like the dog Mimi (Mimi and Coco, if anyone is familiar)
Attached Thumbnails
Before and after pics of my puppy mill rescue-007d3384-a39a-403c-a1d1-944c6cddb206_1578386827476.jpg   Before and after pics of my puppy mill rescue-adb9fa50-688b-49e3-8a89-5e3e757d7ccd_1578386843864.jpg  
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Welcome to SM! Sugarplum is precious. "You did good!" as they say here in TX.
I am happy she is w/you, for both of you. I hope you will continue to post pictures so that we can enjoy her transformation. There is a lot of info here on SM & we are like a family.
With good food & love it is amazing what can happen.
May God grant her a beautiful future in your loving care.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Cassie BN,RI, RN, CGCA Bogie forever in my heart 7-20-04 to 7-3-19
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

Welcome, and thank you for taking this baby out of a horrible situation. It sounds like you are doing a great job with her.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awww thanks to both of you. Yes I will definitely be posting more pics; the next ones will probably be a before and after of her first professional grooming, (Every girl deserves to be pampered at least once in her life, doesn’t she?) as well as her progress. She climbs stairs with no problem now and she knows her name. I may take her to obedience classes or perhaps individual training. There is a dog obedience school that also offers one on one training, they even come to your home if you live within a certain radius of their location, but I think we can come to them. If I were to enroll her in a class I’m not sure which type I should enroll her in (puppy kindergarten or puppy elementary or perhaps middle school?) because of her abnormal previous life. She’s an adult dog who has never experienced things which most puppies have. She doesn’t even know what toys are or what they’re for. So sad.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

You did a wonderful job grooming her yourself. I love how you rescued her and her now having a wonderful home with all the love and attention she wants and deserves. I LOVE happy endings! Welcome to SM

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Last edited by pippersmom; 01-07-2020 at 10:53 AM.
pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you. There needs to be a caption under the after pic that says “I live out in the world now and I can see it too!”
Old 01-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

IF you do a course w/her, just quiz them to find out if they are "positive reinforcement" guided before you sign her up---her life has been hard enough already! Take it slowly w/her---she is just so endearing!
What a beautiful story of a "happy ending."

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey

What a gem you got! Thank you for rescuing! I adopted my girl too

That is wonderful that you want to do a training class. Most clubs have a "beginner" class for dogs and puppies over 5 mos. who have no previous training or who need a refresher. I agree with Sandi, being a positive reinforcement trainer myself, to look for a class with someone who uses these methods only
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Dixie [@ the Rainbow Bridge 12/2017 ] and Lilly [@ the Rainbow Bridge 12/1999]

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylady View Post
Thank you. There needs to be a caption under the after pic that says I live out in the world now and I can see it too!
I love this!
Congratulations to you both. Wishing you may years of snuggles and puppy kisses.

You can either complain that rose bushes have thorns -or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses.
fach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Fach. Sandi and Zooey’s mom, thank you for that suggestion about the positive reinforcement. Yes, they do that. I just reviewed their website and they do positive reinforcement and reward based training. It also has a 4.9 star rating out of 5 stars with 51 reviews. I think I will probably start off with a couple of individual sessions. This way I can talk to the trainer 1:1 about her issues and initial goals, which would be socializing her with people, pad training her, and getting her to do some basic commands. This way she may not feel so overwhelmed with so many people around. She’s well socialized with other dogs as she spent her whole life with them, and my cat and her are also fine; it’s people she’s afraid of. I live alone, and I have teenaged twins who are here some of the time, and I’m dating a guy who I see occasionally. These are the only people she has seen since I’ve had her. (I did have a few family members over for a short while on Christmas Day, and she saw them very briefly) When I was interacting with Sugarplum at the shelter, I had her on a leash, and she walked up to another small dog that other people were considering adopting, but she runs from people, still oftentimes from me. This makes pad training difficult because I can often tell when she has to go, and I have to chase her to put her in her indoor dog pen. But when I pick her up and put her on my lap, she stays there and she’s very content. Here’s a pic of that during the first week I had her.
Attached Thumbnails
Before and after pics of my puppy mill rescue-040787f4-e086-4aa5-bbef-dd0815d02f6a_1578440000669.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement