Potty training in bad weather - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty training in bad weather

Hi! I joined yesterday and I have only made one post so I apologize if this is not in the right forum but it is the only one I can post in right now. Anyway, it looks like we are supposed to be getting some bad weather tomorrow evening and through the night. We are still working on potty training and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. We have recently eliminated pup pads in the house and trying to get our three month old to got strictly outside. She has gone out in light rain. She didnít want to at first but finally did so Iím worried if she needs to go and the weather is bad. I was wondering about maybe putting a pup pad on the covered porch or would that send the message itís okay to on the porch?? Sugar is my first dog let alone first puppy so I have no idea what Iím doing.
Bsoenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

You would be surprised how tough they can be. My three will be out in a blizzard doing their business. My Suki, who is a lightweight, is my toughest. Iíve watched her get blown over and over in a windstorm, only to get back up to do her business, lol.
Your girl may not like going out but she will adjust, imo. I personally wouldnít give her a choice.
A suggestion for you thatís made things much easier and I have found less accidents is bell training. I hung little bells on a piece of yarn at the door.
Every time you take her out, ring the bell and say whatever cue you want to use. I sayĒgo pee peeĒ. After a week, they will start ringing the bell themselves.
I found this prevents those times when they need to go, but donít know how to let you know and then they pee in the house, or if your in another room and miss the signs, and they pee.
This has worked very well for my girls.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would put a pad on the screened porch which might come in handy in really bad weather. Both of mine are cross trained (to go out or in) and they have had no issues.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Pipper only goes potty outdoors no matter what the weather. I have never used pee pads. He knows to poop and pee quickly when the weather is bad. When its cold I put his coat on even when he's just having a quick pee.

We are also in for bad weather this weekend beginning tomorrow. We are supposed to have a huge ice storm with very strong winds beginning tomorrow followed by snow on Sunday. Uugghhhhh I hate ice storms!!!!!!!!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you! Iím glad to hear that the weather doesnít bother some. Iíll see what she does first if she absolutely refuses then Iíll pull out the pad.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Keep in mind that lots of pups don't want you to watch them when they go---esp. on pads. I turn my back to Lisi or stand off to the side looking at something. I am present but she feels her privacy.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Keep in mind that lots of pups don't want you to watch them when they go---esp. on pads. I turn my back to Lisi or stand off to the side looking at something. I am present but she feels her privacy.
I have noticed she defiantly likes her privacy when she poops. She always goes away from us. The turning the back is a good idea and I will keep that in mind.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks again for the advice! The storm came through later than expected and I was able to get her last potty break in before it started raining. Thankfully she slept through the thunder storm or she at least didn’t make any noise if it woke her up. Last night was the sixth night in a row she has slept all night long!! I feel like a new person now that I have gotten some sleep.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paulann
Dog's Name: Abella (6 yrs old)

Attached Thumbnails
Potty training in bad weather-img_0131.jpg  
Old 01-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Rain rain go away

We always have to take a little extra time wiping paws due to our backyard. We generally just use a "dog towel" which is one we only use for the dogs feet. Not sure what color it used to be but its red and brown now.
intrepidleadgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement