Hello from Texas! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Jan
Dog's Name: Bardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I'd heard many times that dogs don't really have a sense of time as humans do, that a dog doesn't know if you've been gone 10 minutes or 3 hours or 8 hours. They just know you left and they're happy when you return.

It does sound like Janlee has no choice about leaving Bardie.

Janlee, you said he shows some separation anxiety. Can you elaborate?

He is hesitant to go into his room when he knows I'm leaving. When I have my shoes on he knows. Told you he's smart. Anyway, he'll run away from me and just doesn't want to go in. After I get him in there he barks and cries for a time. I've waited to see how long....usually no more than 5 minutes. Today I left him home while grocery shopping. When I came back he was yawning and his sleep area was warm. That made me so happy!

I think you're right about time. Even the most well adjusted dogs look at you like it was a lifetime even if only for 15 minutes. Lol!
I've had dogs (big ones) my entire life. They have been left for extended periods with no issue. I think I'm just worried because Bardie hasn't been here that long and he's little. I'm probably over thinking it. I guess I just wanted to hear "it'll be okay" from some fellow doggie lovers.
Janlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would respectfully submit that my dogs do know the difference in time---not precisely but they do get a lot more excited when I am gone for longer amounts of time and return home. I am not sure what goes on in those little brains. I think they get used to "regular schedules" whether for a day or a shorter amount of time & can adjust to that w/training.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

All four of our Animals, two cats and two Dogs, one of them a tiny Puppy sure can tell time when it comes to supper time!!
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paulann
Dog's Name: Abella (6 yrs old)

Abella too - Everyday at 3:00 she can be found laying beside her food dish waiting for dinner.

I might even take this one step further. Every Monday morning my daughter comes over and Abella sits by the front door waiting . Perhaps I'm giving off clues that she's coming but I sure don't think so . Also, she sure knows when its going to be bath time!
Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Lisi is up by 7:29 each AM---licking on my eyelids trying to get me up! If I don't respond or cover my head she barks. She is saying it is time to rise & shine! She has an internal clock. She is much smarter than we ever knew.
She also knows on which TV commercials the dogs will appear---at the beginning of the commercial!
If we go in the direction of the vet practice she always thinks we are going to the vet---& starts to fuss. I think she has been "acting" dumb for some years!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

I wish I lived close by I would babysit for you
I was wondering if maybe the breeder could watch him
Just a idea

My girls definitely have built in timers
We can never sleep in past 8, we try and take a nap, but Geneva will only allow it for 30 minutes, I think it's because we nap at 2, and she most definitely knows dinner is at 3

Maddie is one that watches everything I do, she knows when we are going out, gosh we have to spell words she's one smart little girl, Geneva has picked up on it.
We have left for a few hours not sure if they really know how long we have been gone
They are listening for our car, and get so excited when we open the back door
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

[QUOTE=Janlee
I think you're right about time. Even the most well adjusted dogs look at you like it was a lifetime even if only for 15 minutes. Lol!
I've had dogs (big ones) my entire life. They have been left for extended periods with no issue. I think I'm just worried because Bardie hasn't been here that long and he's little. I'm probably over thinking it. I guess I just wanted to hear "it'll be okay" from some fellow doggie lovers. [/QUOTE]

Welcome!
The above is so true. My girls greet me the same whether Iím gone all day or just take the trash out.
I just had this conversation with a good friend of mine, who trains dogs for the government. They do not recognize time, whether itís 5 min or 5 hours.
I would just recommend leaving him each day, a little longer at a time until jury duty. He will learn to trust and understand that you will be back.
And try not to worry, easier said than done, I know. He can sense your your anxiety, which in turn might trigger him to be more anxious.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

After my previous post regarding my admitted ignorance about dogs' sense of time, I decided I wanted to learn more. I found the information at this website fascinating:
https://www.thelabradorsite.com/do-d...sense-of-time/

Relevant to Janlee:
"The researchers found that the longer the dogs were separated from their owners, the more intense their physical response was to the return of their owners.

Being left alone for two hours or more triggered the dogsí excitement at the ownersí return.

The authors concluded that dogs are affected by the length of time they are alone.

But before you start feeling guilty for leaving your dog alone during the day, itís important to note that the researchers saw no evidence of distress while the dogs were alone.

Their increased activity came after reuniting with their owners."
kayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Jan
Dog's Name: Bardie

I did the same thing Kayanne! Curiosity got the best of me. I found another article that said 1 hour to us is 7 hours to dogs! Yikes!

I'm feeling a little better about leaving him. It's one day. When I return he will be spoiled rotten with hugs, treats and playing with him. His room is totally safe. People leave their dogs for work everyday and they survive.

By the way. Zita is absolutely adorable! Such a cute name too!
Janlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Saylor
Dog's Name: Addy crossed to rainbow bridge Easter 2019.

If u stress, Bardie will too. Relax if u can. He will be fine. This is temporary. Use a Kong with peanut butter (thin layer ) smeared inside. Develop an Im leaving phrase -Bye good boy. Then go! Treat him to several small play sessions that night and one in the morning if time permits -5 vigorous minutes. If u can introduce pre scented pee pad in holder for him. Amazon. If u get pee pads take him out and dab a little urine on the pad after he goes.
His scent will allow him to go to the pad to relieve himself we hope. Make sure food and water are available in pen as well as pee pad. Worst case u lose some ground on potty training and u retrain later. All will be well. Enjoy your boy.
Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement