Hello from Texas! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jan
Dog's Name: Bardie
Default Hello from Texas!

It's my first day here. I've been lurking for awhile and have seen really good helpful hints for my puppy Bardie. He is now 7 months old. He is a Maltese Pekingese mix and the highlight of my world.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Texas!-bardie-office.jpg  
Janlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

Welcome to SM Jan, I'm so glad you found us, your little man is adorable
Old 01-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Lisi wants Bardie to come over for a play date!!!!!!! Spring will come quickly here in Central TX.
Welcome to SM!
He gives me puppy fever!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paulann
Dog's Name: Abella (6 yrs old)

Jan,
Welcome to SM! We are so glad you haver joined our family!
Bardie is adorable - I love his name! I am so looking forward to hearing many many more stories about him as he grows up with us.

"Life is good - Life with a Maltese is better!"
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Texas!-img_8548.jpg  
Abella's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I got Bardie at 8 weeks old. He was a bit too young to be adopted and took a lot of extra work. Since I'm a stay at home doggie mom it was okay. Potty training was the biggest hurdle but he finally caught on and now rings a bell to go out. He is very smart and has learned many tricks.

This is my first little dog. I had lost my husky/chow mix of 15 years and wanted a dog that couldn't knock me down. Lol! A lady in my neighborhood had this unexpected litter and I couldn't resist.

Here is a pic of his first day with me. The cuteness!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Texas!-first-day.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Since I can't post new threads yet I will post my question here.

I am totally stressed about leaving my little guy alone. I have been called for jury duty. I have never left him for more than 2 hours. He has some separation anxiety. I postponed twice so he would be older when I go but it's here now. Next week.

The doggie day care in my down doesn't open until after I have to leave. I'm so worried that I will get tied up for hours and I'm beside myself. He has a safe room that I leave him in when I go out. Room for bed, pads, food, toys etc.

Do you think it'll be okay? Has anyone had an unexpected circumstance that you had to leave your furbaby alone for an extended time? I've never had a small breed dog before. Big dogs are easier to leave alone. I thought maybe the experienced doggie moms could give me some advice. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janlee View Post
Since I can't post new threads yet I will post my question here.

I am totally stressed about leaving my little guy alone. I have been called for jury duty. I have never left him for more than 2 hours. He has some separation anxiety. I postponed twice so he would be older when I go but it's here now. Next week.

The doggie day care in my down doesn't open until after I have to leave. I'm so worried that I will get tied up for hours and I'm beside myself. He has a safe room that I leave him in when I go out. Room for bed, pads, food, toys etc.

Do you think it'll be okay? Has anyone had an unexpected circumstance that you had to leave your furbaby alone for an extended time? I've never had a small breed dog before. Big dogs are easier to leave alone. I thought maybe the experienced doggie moms could give me some advice. Thanks in advance for your help!
When we got our first Maltese in 2008, my husband and I both worked very long days. We would leave Lily in an x-pen on a tiled area, with pee pad, water, dog bed, etc. She did ok as far as I could ever tell. (She probably slept most of the time.) Looking back, I'm not sure why we got a puppy at that point in our lives, because Lily did spend so much time confined the first year of her life, until our situation changed. I think a short term thing like jury duty should be ok.

Lily is gone now, and I'm retired. We got Zita last summer. Zita is used to me being around all the time. Now, it may just be difference in personalities, but Zita is much more clingy than Lily ever was. I joke that the good thing about Zita is she's a lap dog; the bad thing about Zita is she's a lap dog. (Lily never was.)

There are bound to be various situations in which you need to be away from home for several hours. In my opinion, it's good to let your puppy get used to that early. I believe my girls always knew what "I'll be back" meant.
kayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

One of the big issues w/pups that are taken from the Mom too early (before 12 wks) can be separation anxiety so it is to be expected.
Is it possible to have a relative or friend come in to play w/Bardie for part of the time you are away? Leaving him for a whole day when he isn't used to it will be hard for him. I sent you a PM.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
One of the big issues w/pups that are taken from the Mom too early (before 12 wks) can be separation anxiety so it is to be expected.
Is it possible to have a relative or friend come in to play w/Bardie for part of the time you are away? Leaving him for a whole day when he isn't used to it will be hard for him. I sent you a PM.

Sadly, I have no one to come by. I leave him several times a week for no more than 2 hours. He's been okay with that so far. Hoping this one time will be okay. His separation anxiety isn't over the top. I started putting him in his room for very short stays from the beginning working up to the 2 hours. I was praying for ice that day so I wouldn't have to go. Lol! But for some reason January has turned into spring here.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I'd heard many times that dogs don't really have a sense of time as humans do, that a dog doesn't know if you've been gone 10 minutes or 3 hours or 8 hours. They just know you left and they're happy when you return.

It does sound like Janlee has no choice about leaving Bardie.

Janlee, you said he shows some separation anxiety. Can you elaborate?
kayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement