A veterinary guide to tear stains - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephanie
Dog's Name: Daisy and Ellie the Sheltie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria&Perla View Post
Interesting article, but I have one question. I use stainless steel bowls, I clean her eyes daily with warm water and cotton but the problem remains. not only in eyes but and around her mouth. So, what can I do?
I would really appreciate any advice.
How old is she? Daisy had tear stains that went away once she had all of her baby teeth removed.
Steph_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Maria
Dog's Name: Perla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph_L View Post
How old is she? Daisy had tear stains that went away once she had all of her baby teeth removed.
She is 5 and a half months old. I don't think that she has already change her teeth. When all baby teeth are removed?
Maria&Perla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
She is 5 and a half months old. I don't think that she has already change her teeth. When all baby teeth are removed?
Sometimes they will come out on their own. Daisy had hers removed at 7.5 months when she got spayed. She had 11 baby teeth still in and almost all her adult teeth already coming in. She now has almost no tear staining, just some morning eye "gook". I think they are supposed to come out on their own by 10 months, however I had it done while she was spayed so that she only needed to have one surgery. Plus our vet gave us a discount and charged $50 to remove the teeth in addition to the spay, where teeth removal would be $15/tooth ($115). The vet we see doesn't charge anesthesia fees to foreigners so it was a lot cheaper for us to do it in Korea vs in the States.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Sometimes they will come out on their own. Daisy had hers removed at 7.5 months when she got spayed. She had 11 baby teeth still in and almost all her adult teeth already coming in. She now has almost no tear staining, just some morning eye "gook". I think they are supposed to come out on their own by 10 months, however I had it done while she was spayed so that she only needed to have one surgery. Plus our vet gave us a discount and charged $50 to remove the teeth in addition to the spay, where teeth removal would be $15/tooth ($115). The vet we see doesn't charge anesthesia fees to foreigners so it was a lot cheaper for us to do it in Korea vs in the States.

Thank you for your reply! I am going to wait about baby teeth to remove.. But one hour ago I opened her mouth and I saw the bottom canines are still there and the new canines are out. So is it normal? (I hope you can understand what I mean due to my bad english)
Now about the vets here in Greece are soooo expensive. I pay 50euro (55 dollars) for just one visit to take the pill for antiparasitic treatment.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Thank you for your reply! I am going to wait about baby teeth to remove.. But one hour ago I opened her mouth and I saw the bottom canines are still there and the new canines are out. So is it normal? (I hope you can understand what I mean due to my bad english)
Now about the vets here in Greece are soooo expensive. I pay 50euro (55 dollars) for just one visit to take the pill for antiparasitic treatment.
I think I know what you mean. Daisy had both sets of canine teeth at the same time. They removed her puppy canines and other teeth and she already had her adult ones. She also started eating more once they were removed. If you're having her spayed I would suggest asking to have puppy teeth removed at the same time.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I think I know what you mean. Daisy had both sets of canine teeth at the same time. They removed her puppy canines and other teeth and she already had her adult ones. She also started eating more once they were removed. If you're having her spayed I would suggest asking to have puppy teeth removed at the same time.
No I haven't her spayed because the vet told me that is better for her to do it at age of 1years. Do you think she needs a surgery to remove baby canines?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
No I haven't her spayed because the vet told me that is better for her to do it at age of 1years. Do you think she needs a surgery to remove baby canines?
I think you should talk to your vet. Mine had suggested waiting till she was 10 months old to have the puppy teeth removed to see if they would come out on her own, but I didn't want her to have another surgery because anesthesia can be dangerous. I also don't know the benefits of waiting till she is a year old to spay her, my vet never said anything except to wait until she was 6 months old. Maybe that is a question you can try and find on the forum or ask.

I personally believe it is best to do both surgeries at the same time, however I'm definitely not a vet and Daisy is my first Maltese. I've only owned a Newfoundland before and he was neutered at a year and a half.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you should talk to your vet. Mine had suggested waiting till she was 10 months old to have the puppy teeth removed to see if they would come out on her own, but I didn't want her to have another surgery because anesthesia can be dangerous. I also don't know the benefits of waiting till she is a year old to spay her, my vet never said anything except to wait until she was 6 months old. Maybe that is a question you can try and find on the forum or ask.

I personally believe it is best to do both surgeries at the same time, however I'm definitely not a vet and Daisy is my first Maltese. I've only owned a Newfoundland before and he was neutered at a year and a half.
Ok, thanks again for your help.. I will talk to my vet.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Just to add for information, Ive had 7 toy breeds, three of them Maltese, and so far none of them has had to have teeth removed. Having plenty of toys and chews, the teeth tend to come out on their own while the pups play.
LilSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSuz View Post
Just to add for information, Ive had 7 toy breeds, three of them Maltese, and so far none of them has had to have teeth removed. Having plenty of toys and chews, the teeth tend to come out on their own while the pups play.
That's a really good point. It definitely depends on the dog. I'm not sure if size has anything to do with it. Maybe a small mouth means there's less room for teeth to come in. Daisy is definitely on the small side for a Maltese and at almost 8 months she still had 11 in. She had lost some on her own and some of the smaller ones were loose.

I did notice that after she had them removed she ate a lot more. I think the crowding was causing discomfort when she ate. She gets weighed today at the vets so I'll find out if she's gained weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement