Tear staining - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tear staining

I feel like I’ve tried everything for tear stains and nothing is working. The tear stains are getting worse I’ve attached a picture. Other than giving bottled water from ceramic or stainless steel bowl, washing face every night, keeping hair out of eyes, probiotics sprinkled over food and a child’s Benadryl once a day what else is there to try?
Attached Thumbnails
Tear staining-d73f8062-95bf-46ef-b16e-83c02db01934_1564172404576.jpg  
Melitx is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paulann
Dog's Name: Abella (6 yrs old)

Welcome to SM. Your little fluff is adorable. If you do a search here on SM you will find many many posts with good advise on tear staining.

Abella had tear staining and I had tried some of the things you have listed above and they did not work for her either. What finally worked for her was washing her eyes out every morning with Baush & Lomb Advanced Eye Relief (available at drug store), Using bottled Spring Water, Keeping her mustache,beard,face dry at all times - which for us meant using a water bottle (think bunny rabbit style) - I just posted a picture several days ago.

You should also look at the ingredients in the food you are feeding. Unfortunately, there is not one answer that works for every Maltese. There is much written here on tear staining. Good luck in finding the perfect combination that works for your cute little fluff!

"Life is good - Life with a Maltese is better!"
Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Not sure if you mentioned how old your adorable little Fluff is, but she could be teething if she is just a little Puppy. Also, have you had your Vet check her teeth??? Chrissy had the most horrible tear stains and it was due having bad teeth. Once all of that was taken care of, she had no more tear stains.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

I wonít add anything than what the two lovely ladies already did, but I wanted to say ď that is one super cute malt, tear stains and all!Ē
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you everyone he is 10 months old and he had his teeth checked out and baby teeth pulled when we had him neutered. I’m going to try using the eye drops to see if that helps. I had Ollie drinking from a water bottle when I first got him but could never find a good quality bottle. The ones I bought would get stuck and only small amounts of water would come out. I was worried he wasn’t getting enough water, which is important since I live in Texas and we have very hot summers, so I switched him to a bowl. But yes I do believe since then the hair around his moth has had more stains. If anyone could recommend a good water bottle that would be great.
Melitx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melitx View Post
Thank you everyone he is 10 months old and he had his teeth checked out and baby teeth pulled when we had him neutered. Iím going to try using the eye drops to see if that helps. I had Ollie drinking from a water bottle when I first got him but could never find a good quality bottle. The ones I bought would get stuck and only small amounts of water would come out. I was worried he wasnít getting enough water, which is important since I live in Texas and we have very hot summers, so I switched him to a bowl. But yes I do believe since then the hair around his moth has had more stains. If anyone could recommend a good water bottle that would be great.
I had the same problem with the water bottles, that round ball wld stick and barely any water came out. I tried every brand and maker I could find on the web and they all did the same.
I use the bayou bowl. There is a woman who used to make them, Sheila Herrmann.
Not sure if she still does but they are designed so the face never gets wet.
Here is her email: [email protected]
You can email her and ask. They really work very well and worth trying.
I had her make the matching dish thatís in the pix. Very good artist, she copied a picture I had sent her that is on my kitchen wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Tear staining-44783052-2fe8-4ebe-8e91-df64d9bf1d9c.jpg  
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know several very reliable contributors on SM have said they have had issues with the water bottles.......and concerns about them not providing enough water.

All I can say is that I have been successfully using them for Abella for 6 years - Maybe her little tongue just knows how to use them better as she has been using them all her life..... I live in Calif which is also hot but not high in humidity like Texas (and I don't have air conditioning). I also keep one in my car for our many road trips.

If you decide you want to give this option a try - I ordered Abellas from PawMarks on line. If you do decide to give this a try Email her and she can tell you which size etc you need. Best of luck in finding what works for you and your cute little fluff.

"Life is good - Life with a Maltese is great!"
Attached Thumbnails
Tear staining-img_9550.jpg   Tear staining-img_9547.jpg  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

He's precious anyway! I had the same issues with Georgie in the beginning, felt like I was jumping thru all the hoops. I was doing so many things at the same time, I'm not sure which was the most helpful. You could try the "Always Bright Eyes" or "Eye Envy". The powder is a bit messy and you have to be careful not to get in the eyes, but I did find it somewhat helpful. Georgie didn't do well with the water bottle either, the bayou bowls are great! I hope you find a solution for Ollie!

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marina
Dog's Name: Jeep

My Jeep was a rescue. He had just one eye staining and it was really bad. Jeep is my first Maltese. I hadnít a clue what to do. The SM members offered different suggestions and I was trying them all. Although he was approximately 12 months when I got him he had multiple milk teeth still in his mouth. And that can be one of many reasons causing the staining. They were removed when I had him neutered. But since it was just one eye I thought that the tear duct might be clogged up. My vet has two Maltese and he thought it might be allergies and gave me an an antibiotic for his eyes. I canít say with certainty if that helped or not but the tearing was beginning to slow down. I started using Spring water too. I already was using stainless steel bowls for years. But over time the tearing stopped completely. I slowly removed the stained hair a few at a time. He now has a totally White cheek. He was fed grain filled dog food for months before I got him. I use only grain free. I know others have already spoken about all these triggers. But one or more of them worked for me.
Jeep's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Mommy View Post
My Jeep was a rescue. He had just one eye staining and it was really bad. Jeep is my first Maltese. I hadnít a clue what to do. The SM members offered different suggestions and I was trying them all. Although he was approximately 12 months when I got him he had multiple milk teeth still in his mouth. And that can be one of many reasons causing the staining. They were removed when I had him neutered. But since it was just one eye I thought that the tear duct might be clogged up. My vet has two Maltese and he thought it might be allergies and gave me an an antibiotic for his eyes. I canít say with certainty if that helped or not but the tearing was beginning to slow down. I started using Spring water too. I already was using stainless steel bowls for years. But over time the tearing stopped completely. I slowly removed the stained hair a few at a time. He now has a totally White cheek. He was fed grain filled dog food for months before I got him. I use only grain free. I know others have already spoken about all these triggers. But one or more of them worked for me.
Mare, I love Jeeps new picture - He looks so good! His tear staining is completely gone and his ears are looking like a true Maltese.......I also like his longer hair!

"Life is good - Life with a Maltese is Better!"