Help identifying coat type? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Ainsley
Dog's Name: Chiffon

Thank you so much, Edelweiss. The first puppy I was looking at was from a Korean kennel, so the feedback I received on my first post I definitely did take to heart and began searching for a different breeder. I honestly didn't really understand what a puppy broker was. I thought that by buying from a breeder located in the USA who breeds her dogs in her home that that was okay and responsible breeding practice. She has Korean dogs, but the way she's explained it to me is that she has personally gone to Korea and bought the dogs herself and she now breeds them occasionally as a hobby. I thought that by getting a dog within the USA that had Korean lineage, I was getting the best of both worlds: smaller Korean "teacup" size, through a responsible local breeder. I do think maybe I was a little naive, but I thought that by interviewing this breeder thoroughly and reading reviews from her past clients, I had done my due diligence. I totally understand where all of you are coming from and again I am aware that you are all far more educated on these matters. I have already committed to buying this puppy by putting in a deposit and down payment, and I am absolutely in love with her based on the videos they've sent me! I won't be getting her until the first week of January because although she is a little over 3 months old, she's too small to leave her mother yet so I do appreciate that they aren't taking her away from her mom too early just because they have a buyer.
Again, maybe this is just me being naive but I do have faith that this breeder is well intentioned and cares about the health of her puppies, but I do acknowledge that I should have done more research, even though I thought the amount of research I had done was sufficient at the time.

Sorry, that was long! Basically, I think all of you ladies are much wiser about these things and I appreciate so much all of the info you've given me and I fully admit that I was a bit naive but I am hopeful and optimistic about my puppy and her health and hopefully you guys can still accept me into your lovely community here! I'm definitely not perfect and am eager to learn!

Thank you all again so much for taking time out of your busy lives to help me, I truly appreciate it! <3
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I just looked at this site again & it says 11 available puppies (that is not a hobby breeder who occasionally has a pup available)---that is a huge red flag along w/the others. I honestly wonder how old the pup you are inquiring about really is? Maybe it is much younger since you are post-poned in its' delivery (so as to make it look smaller.) Have you seen the pedigree?
I would respectfully disagree w/your statement that this is a "breeder" (we would call her a "greeder") who is well intentioned & cares about the health of her puppies. I have personal experience w/a friend who bought a dog like this and it was a huge disappointment. I do not wish that for you. I do understand that you have made a deposit, etc. & it is painful for me to realize that so many do this w/the best of intentions.
Please don't think we are not welcoming. We learn through our mistakes. Now it will be your job to instruct others who come w/your same experience.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't think she has 11 puppies available, I just looked on her site and I only see 3 that are currently available to purchase.
I haven't seen any paperwork/pedigree, just photos of the parents. I'm now a little worried about the age thing. :/ I guess I have no way to confirm how old she really is, that's definitely a little worrisome, I never thought about that. Are there any physical indicators of a puppy's age that I might be able to spot in her videos/pictures? I've googled "Maltese puppies 4 weeks/8 weeks/3 months" etc to try to compare, and she definitely looks more developed than the 4/8 weeks.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Babydoll Faced Maltese Puppies for Sale, Korean Lines Maltese Puppies for sale, Teacup Maltese Puppies for sale

I took that off the web-site just now?
http://www.tatortotpup.com

"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 11-24-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Even if it isn't 11 available there are enough other red flags---
The best indicator of age are the teeth & you can't see that in a photo---a vet would be able to know. Also, this kind of slick operation might show you any puppy's photos---so try not to fixate on that. My friend who is a breeder had her dogs/bitches photos stolen & they were being used to sell dogs on-line like this. Just sayin/

There is a maltese data base on line if you can get the official names of the dam & sire & the breeders' names.

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey
ipf4

OMG, this puppy mill is even worse than I thought! Red flag right there that you can't visit their home for their "safety." What BS. Any good breeder will WANT you to visit in person to meet you and ensure a good fit. And those prices?!!!?!!! Even Chrisman, which is the most expensive show breeder, charges less for pet puppies. And red flag #50, charging $2000 more if you want to breed the dog. GOOD breeders usually do NOT charge any more for a show dog, it is simply a different contract. And of course, these dogs can't be shown because they don't even have real papers (CKC is a surefire puppy mill association, although AKC can definitely be too). And...they source more than one breed, as I see a Pom on their sales page. They are seriously the worst. They make my blood boil. You'd be wise to eat your deposit and walk away!
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey

Even with losing your deposit, you could find a nice female from an ethical breeder for the same price you would've paid for one of those liver shunt deformed "teacups." You do NOT need a dog smaller than 4 lbs. Sorry, no one does. My Malt is almost 9 lbs in her older age, and I can still carry her with no problem. So a 4 lb. one from a good breeder would be very feasible.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

In reading the references I see she offers long haired chis, poms, yorkies & apparently maltese---these are all mentioned. I am not sure which other breeds she could secure. All the dogs seem to be very small that are referenced.
This is why I am calling her a "broker."

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-24-2019, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've already paid most of the cost and have paid for the plane ticket for the pet nanny to bring her to me, so it's a done deal. I'm crossing my fingers that they're being honest and I will get the specific puppy that I've paid for. She looks the same in all of the pictures and videos they've sent me, including videos of her doing specific things. For example, the first video they sent me didn't feature her walking around or playing so I asked them to please take another video of her so I could see her moving around and they were able to provide that for me the next day. I could clearly see that it was the same puppy as the first video and the photos match as well and are in the same location with the same backdrops.

Hopefully that is the puppy I will receive, I believe it will be due to her past positive reviews from people and people have said that they have ongoing contact with her for years after they get their puppy and that she's good about helping them with any questions they have later down the line so I'm hopeful that it will be alright. I do completely understand both of your concerns though.

Honestly I always thought that going through AKC breeders was only important if you planned on getting a show dog or a dog to use as a breeding dog or something, I didn't realize it was commonplace to use AKC breeders for just pets. And I didn't care about getting paperwork for her or registering her or anything so it wasn't a concern of mine.

As far as teeth coming in, she does say this about their teeth in her care guide:
"Tinies tend to wait longer than average toy dogs for their teeth to come in. So do NOT fall victim of the uneducated "tinies" myth about the teeth tell the age. TINIES ARE A DIFFERENT ball park! Once again this shows ignorance on those who don't know tinies!!!! Some tinies don't get their front teeth until 5-7 months old!!!! Between 5 months and 7 months they will be cutting their first teeth so just like a human baby, needs things to teeth on. Plastic teething toys are great as long as they don't chip off. Teething also tends to bring more tears. So if your puppy is staining a bit more from Tears, this is generally very normal. You can purchase a eye wash and a eye powder that would help manage this. Always make sure you supervise anything your tiny is chewing on!"

Has anyone ever noticed teeth coming in later for smaller puppies?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

My Lisi is 8 yrs. old (half Korean, half Italian breeds) she weighs 4.5 lbs & she got her teeth just like my boy who is half Korean & half American (both from great stock). He is almost 10 & weighs 7 lbs. A vet will be able to tell the age (approximate) of any dog you get.

I would not give a puppy plastic toys to chew on!

"Wag more Bark less"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement