Help identifying coat type? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ainsley
Dog's Name: Chiffon
Default Help identifying coat type?

Hi guys! I'm currently in the process of buying a Maltese puppy, and I'm attaching a pic of the one I've got my eye on right now! This was just a quick sneak peek pic, I'm waiting for more pictures and videos from the breeder. But I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me determine what type of coat she has from the picture? The breeder said her coat looks gorgeous so far and I agree but I can't tell if it's going to be the silkier type of coat or the more fluffy/wooly kind. I'm erring on the fluffy/wooly side, but I'm new to the breed so I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying coat type?-photo.jpg  
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would agree from the photo, but one can't really go by the puppy coat. It depends on the parentage---did you see the sire & dam? Who is the breeder?

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

These are the parents. The sire is from the breeder I'm using, her business is called Tatortot Pup, and the dam is from another breeder.
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying coat type?-dad.jpg   Help identifying coat type?-mom.jpg  

Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I went to this web-site---it IS a puppy mill. It offers various breeds, "tea-cup" pups, will not allow a home visit. yada, yada, yada!!!!!! There are so many red flags! There is also no record of any confirmation in regard to breeding. Please keep you $$ and go to the AMA web site & find a reputable breeder. You have no guarantee that the puppy you see in a video is the one you will receive either. Puppy's come w/tear stains---that is the norm when they are teething.
You have come here for sound advice & we want to spare you much heartache---please step away from this pup & do your research on this site of how to choose a breeder. Please!

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

I agree with Sandi. There are many indications that this is a breeder after money, not protecting the qualities of the breed. Anyone who tells you they are breeding for a specific "look" like baby doll face is suspect. Reputable breeders breed to meet the standard, not for a particular look.

Also, she wants your deposit before you even get to meet the puppy? And only meet in a public place? Please look for a breeder who shows for conformation or who has retirees, or consider a rescue.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Please heed the advice of the two individuals who posted in response to your question. They both know exactly what they are talking about and only want to help you make the right decision when seeking out your new Maltese Puppy. I hope that you will truly think it over before you make a purchase from the Breeder.
Snuggle's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

If you go to the black "search" bar above you can hit this & type in "how to search for a breeder." Please read the postings there---you will find good advice. Please keep in mind that finding the "right" puppy is a process, but it pays off in the end. There have been lots of members here who have been "scammed" and ended up w/a puppy that has serious health issues. Part of the mission of SM is to help prevent that.
People in the business of making lots of $$$ off puppies speak a slick language---they know how to entice. NO breeded will want to meet you in an open place rather than the home "to protect her other dogs."
You will want to secure a breeder w/whom you can have on-going contact, one w/a reputable reputation. The internet makes it ivery easy to get taken. Please read as much as you can & come back to us w/questions about particular breeders.

There is usually a maltese show coming up---google Eukaneuba---it should be soon---probably in FL. Where are you located so we can make geographical suggestions. You can see lots of dogs at once, meet maltese breeders, some of our SM family go there & would be glad to help if you introduce yourself around. That is the BEST way to meet good breeders.

"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 11-21-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm frustrated because we already took the time out of our busy days to give you feedback and help you look for a good breeder on your previous thread. Please take a step back and keep researching about how to buy a puppy safely. I can't imagine more red flags than the breeder(s) you are looking at right now.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for the information, I've already given this woman a deposit about a month ago. I live in Los Angeles, and most of the local breeders I've found were charging more money for puppies that weren't true teacup puppies. I know that "teacup" is not a real AKC term and is just used colloquially to describe the size of smaller puppies. I have PTSD so my main reason for getting this dog is as an emotional support companion. I want a tiny dog that I can easily take with me out in public, primarily in a carrier so as not to draw as much attention.
I will say this breeder has been very good about ongoing contact, always answers my calls and emails promptly, and has provided me with photos and videos of all the dogs I've asked about. She also offers to facetime/skype so you can see the dogs in her home and she has a youtube channel where she posts videos of the dogs in her home environment as well. She has bought her dogs from Korea, but they are her dogs that she breeds in her home.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound defensive, I fully believe that all of you have much more knowledge than I do on this topic! However, the more traditional AKC breeders that I looked at in my area were charging roughly the same price or more money for puppies that were just not what I'm looking for as far as size.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ainsley, If you will read the SM Welcome greeting you will see that SM does not endorse "tea-cup" or breeders who sell for profit. On-going contact means "after purchase" not while you are still in the process. You are not the first one to be taken in by these slick operators, but I do feel you were warned early on, if Elizabeth was correct. We do not wish you any harm, quite the contrary; however it would seem you are asking us to withold judgement against our better inclinations.
This breeder is definitely a "broker" and that I find very sad as you become part of the problem making it possible for these brokers to continue to stay in the business of scamming people. Some people end up w/sick dogs & they are unable to keep them so they are relinquished to rescue. AMRA is then called upon to fund & rehome them. It is a never ending circle.
I wish I were wrong---- and I understand that a number of SM members have fallen into this trap. I truly hope it goes well for you w/your new baby.

"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 11-23-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement