Korean Face - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Saylor
Dog's Name: Addy crossed to rainbow bridge Easter 2019.

I groomed my dog. Like many things I started in increments, treated her, used short play breaks and built up to bath, full groom with clippers, scissors -thinning straight , curved and regular- and watched a lot of you tube videos. Every night I combed out lightly. Then do ears. Next night hair between pads with small clipper. Next toenails with clippers because I never could master the Dremel like tool. Have stiptic powder or corn starch on hand in case of bleed. Then just comb lightly for weeks until it is time to do it again. Nightly comb was treat time and massage as well as a full body check. She relaxed into the routine and it became a 90 minute process tops for full groom.
Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks Sandi. She does a little better every day. Yesterday she also let my teenage son hold her and she made eye contact with him.
Is the Maltese breed a fairly resilient type of dog if something physically or mentally traumatizing happens to them, such as being from a puppy mill, illness, injury, abuse, or even death of their owner (or another human that they live with)? The reason I’m asking is because she seems to be doing very, very well, and I knew she would need some rehab and she could have potentially been problematic, but she isn’t and she’s doing much better than I thought she might. when I researched the breed I read that they were bred for companionship, therefore it’s kind of in their blood to be naturally friendly.
For instance, my Dachshund who was put down last spring at nearly 16 years old used to show a LOT of characteristics toward hunting, but he was raised in the suburbs. And that breed was bred to hunt badgers, so those that was in his blood, despite that we never exposed him to that, and we’d had him since he was a little puppy.
I just wondered if anyone knew if they are resilient, because I never hear anything negative about a Maltese’s temperament, or really anything negative at all.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

[QUOTE=crazylady;4205788]Thanks Sandi. She does a little better every day. Yesterday she also let my teenage son hold her and she made eye contact with him.
Is the Maltese breed a fairly resilient type of dog if something physically or mentally traumatizing happens to them, such as being from a puppy mill, illness, injury, abuse, or even death of their owner (or another human that they live with)? /QUOTE]

I personally think it depends on that individual dog. I have one who came in near dead conditions, who has been poked for blood (medical issues) so much, she would bruise. She is my most affectionate, loving out of my three.
My youngest, who got a huge mat after her spay, that must have been so extremely painful, has never let it go.
She gets very aggressive when approached to groom and God forbid, if you hit a tangle, she will viciously attack. I am the most gentle with her. She has never forgotten that moment when she got spay, which is why I think itís depends on that individual.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

Wow that’s really interesting...I guess it’s no different than humans, just as there are many people who have been through many serious tragedies, losses, etc and they are some of the most cheerful, positive people; on the other hand, there are some people who were maybe a victim of a minor or nonviolent crime hence they’re miserable and can’t learn to forgive and forget. But Sugarplum is still going good, and I really think she’s going to be ok, and I truly believe we were meant for each other.
You know, my teenage daughter (she can be hypersensitive about certain things, especially when it comes to animals) nearly cried when she found out what Sugarplum has been through and when she also learned more in-depth info of how puppy mills operate. I told her that Sugarplum will never have to live like that again, that she has the rest of her life to live with us, and to love her.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement