Korean Face - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Korean Face

The more I think about it, the more I’m thinking about grooming Sugarplum myself. It’s not about not wanting to shell out big bucks for a groomer to do it, and it’s not that I’m picky or that I don’t trust others with my baby, but she is EXTREMELY squirmy and fidgety when I’ve groomed her, especially with her face. I’ve already invested in some clippers in order to get all of her matts out. It could potentially take a very long time with a groomer, and if I did it myself, I could do it in increments; that’s what I had to do to get all of the matts and discoloration out...it took about 4 or 5 sessions just to use shears and clippers. She fights me when I’ve tried to clean her ears, and I haven’t even attempted to give her a bath by myself.
I’m comfortable with clippers, and I’m confident I could do her face with them as well as long as someone else held onto her well. So my question is, is the face look that I like (please see the included pic) achieve able with clippers? If so, which blade? I really don’t think I would be able to do anything on the face with shears, even if she were well behaved and sat still for a prolonged amount of time. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Face-6fbee084-99da-4e84-b4bb-f87de15c97e4_1578534375163.jpg  
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Lisi, except for the ears (she lost ear flap so has to have short ears) has a very similar look. I use both clippers (2 different sizes) on her face & blunt scissors around her eyes. So, yes, you can do it yourself. She isn't good w/a groomer but I do have her professionally groomed one time each year. I have worked w/a prof so she knows what I want & expect, & IF she does not give it to me I make noise. Last time I got a discount because I was not pleased w/the time before this cut. It was not as "neat."
My Lisi is 1/2 Korean other half Italian so small features---a slim face looks best on her. She does also have a very short stop (what some people would call a baby-doll face). If you take pictures of what you want to a groomer they can make it look the same, but Lisi is also not good w/grooming so I just go faithfully once a year. I can then follow the lines of the prof grooming. I also do it in stages. Honestly, my cutting is not as smooth as the groomers but I am ok w/that. One has to decide what is the most important to you & go w/that.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that Sandi. Which blades do you use?

Old 01-09-2020, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

I wish I could downsize pictures I love the Asian cut, it's been hard finding a groomer because the cut is manly sissored, and it takes a lot longer
I had a wonderful groomer who I used for years, out of the blue she told me she felt like she took to long on my girls , she said she could shave down fast and make more money
My goodness I was paying her $60.00 for each girl, that was $120.00 She made in 2 1/2 hours

I no I wouldn't have the patience and for me I would be fearful around my girls faces

You did a amazing job on Sugarplum
Old 01-09-2020, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Jeez o Pete she was complaining about $60??? I don’t know what part of the country you’re in but I’m in the Midwest and the most expensive full grooming for a dog the size of a Maltese in my local area in which I inquired about was either $50 or $55, I don’t recall. My veterinarian office also has a groomer, they charge $45 and I was kind of surprised that their price was competitive... I would think that in a veterinary office they would charge above the average going rate.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks BTW about the job on Sugarplum. I started off using shears because she the sound of the clippers scared her, but she eventually let me use them. Her face was a challenge, she doesn’t like it touched. Just yesterday she finally let me pet her starting with her head first, and she didn’t appear spooked either.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Cassie BN,RI, RN, CGCA Bogie forever in my heart 7-20-04 to 7-3-19
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylady View Post
Jeez o Pete she was complaining about $60??? I donít know what part of the country youíre in but Iím in the Midwest and the most expensive full grooming for a dog the size of a Maltese in my local area in which I inquired about was either $50 or $55, I donít recall. My veterinarian office also has a groomer, they charge $45 and I was kind of surprised that their price was competitive... I would think that in a veterinary office they would charge above the average going rate.
My groomer is very good but she charges me $75 per groom and if there are mats, she charges more.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Our Vet also has two Groomers and with the tax, it costs $52 which I do not think is too bad. And I am sure that even though our little 2.5 Laci will cost the same when we bring her for her first grooming in a few weeks.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylady View Post
Thanks for that Sandi. Which blades do you use?
I use Wahl (made in Germany) Bravura Lithium for body & legs & part of the face & Wahl BravMini for small areas along w/feet pads. I use the lavender & red blades only on the Bravura. I use blunt scissors around the face, rectum, eyes, mouth & thinning shears to even out places where I did a poor job.

We purchased a dressel (Bousnic Dog Nail Grinder) to use on the nails after cutting them but have not used it yet! I am a little afraid of it. I would love to know if anyone here uses one?

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna

I have 5 coated dogs and do not groom myself
but I love them looking good so I pay $50 a dog and take them every 5 weeks. Tomorrow I'm taking my 5 month old baby to get all of her wild hair cut off...someone in my developement is a groomer and wants to use her as a model for the Asian Fusian hair cut, but that's way too "perfect" for me to keep it tidy.

i've been going the same groomer for 20 years, i don't think she ever raised my price because I always have so many dogs, lol.

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement