Puppy cut pictorial - graphic intense - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 16 2005, 10:07 PM
JMM--Do you like the clippers you have?* Do you have any complaints with it?
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

My original clippers were Oster A5 two speeds. I've also handled Wahl's and other Oster models. I finally bought these Andis a few years ago. I LOVE these Andis over any of the others I have tried. They are much lighter and easier to handle. The Andis AG or AGC corded clippers (single speed is fine) are what I recommend.

There are a few nice cordless models, but if you groom more than just one pet or something with a tougher coat than a Maltese, I wouldn't spend the money on them. A corded clipper will last a lot longer and be easier to use with multiple uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 03:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

Cool. I'm thinking of getting one since I have 2 maltese. I was wondering if you use Andis combs or universal ones? Does it even matter?

Thanks again for all of your help! I really appreciate this!!!! I LOVE SM!
ButterCloudandNoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I bought a set of combs...they are Oster brand but fit anything.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Cool. Maybe sally's will have them. I ordered one off ebay. It's like JMM's except it has 2 speeds. I cant wait to use it on Cloud .
Old 02-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

I finally received the clippers. Now all I have to do is find combs and find time (stupid chemistry).

Does it matter how the teeth on the combs are? Or are there one made for dogs specifically that I need to get?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I've gotten most of my combs at Sally's. I get the "universal combs". You can buy them in 1/4 inch increments up to 1&1/4 inches. They're the exact same thing as the ones sold in pet catalogues. If you want the longer combs, like 2" and 3" size, you'll have to order them from Ryans or another pet catalogue.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

Lady'smom-Thanks Cloud is so stinky! I can't wait to give him a bath! P Poor baby, his matting is horrible. It hasnt gotten this bad since his adult hair (is that what you call it?) came out. He's sooooooo cute with long hair, but I can't take the mats anymore! Hope I can do half as well as JMM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

Loved the grooming pics, not let me ask a quesrion. I keep the Maltese Long, its just what I prefer and find it to be less work lol...My question has always been (I do the grooming) How do you trim their feet with the longer hair. I do the pads and nails and trim a little but, they than look like duck feet...............Help me get this right!!! ladies
KathleensMaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KathleensMaltese@Feb 3 2005, 03:20 AM
Loved the grooming pics, not let me ask a quesrion. I keep the Maltese Long, its just what I prefer and find it to be less work lol...My question has always been (I do the grooming) How do you trim their feet with the longer hair. I do the pads and nails and trim a little but, they than look like duck feet...............Help me get this right!!! ladies
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

I don't keep Brinkley in a long coat usually, although I am trying to grow it out right now. It is the longest that it has been on his body-except for when I brought him home. Anyway, I don't know that I can describe how I do his feet. I trim his body and legs first to the length I want. I don't like the legs cut toooo short...but when I am trying to shape the feet, I use the beard/mustache trimmer that I use for his pads. I turn the foot over as if I am doing the pads and somehow lay my hand under it...and sorda push the pad flat against my hand...then with the other hand I trim the hairs from the top of the foot that I can see into a rounded shape. (does that make ANY sense at all? ) This seems to work great for me. I am not a fan of the very short poodle looking feet. This keeps his feet fluffy-but yet they are shaped. I would think the same process would work, no matter the length of the coat. I tried shaping/trimming from the top of the foot, and it didn't work as well for me as turning it over did. -_- I am definitely a "taught myself amateur" ! I am sure JMM will have more pro advice... but maybe I could help some?!
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

You have to scissor the feet in layers.

I hold the hair back and trim the first layer a little shorter than what I want. Each consecutive layer will be a slight bit longer. Since I trim Mikey's coat up off the ground, I usually trim his body about even with his feet. Otherwise I would leave his feet a bit longer than I normally do. They should be rounded bells. I clip the hair between the pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement