Every day top knot pictorial - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

First brush out the hair, and have the dog lay their head down on a top knot pillow or just a rolled up blanket.

For any fuzzies, you can apply a small bit of kolestral or gel (that is #1 All Systems pink gel). I really mean a tiny bit. That is all it takes.

You need bands. The clear ones are the tiny size (med weight) from dog-bows.com. Those blue ones are from lainee. I use the clear ones on top of papers and the small light weight from dog-bows.com (or lainee) if they're going on the hair.

Use a rat tail comb to part the hair that you want to put in the top knot. I usually go up each side slightly in from the corner of the eyes (if I'm putting in doubles, I go a little wider) and then however far back you need...it depends on the dog's head.

Put in the band. Then use the rat tail comb to loosen the hair up and add poof. It is very important that it be loose enough in the front so that they are comfortable and you are not pulling up on their eyelids. I actually skip this step with the band if I'm using papers and don't put any band on the coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Papers. Both are from Sally's. They have mesh or regular. These are called end wraps. I prefer mesh. It is just easier for me to work with. It is personal preference.

I take 2 of the mesh papers layered together and fold them in half. Then I wrap it in thirds around the top knot (here is over the band, but normally I don't put a band on the coat and at this point would do the loosening/puffing). The regular papers are a little longer so fold in 1/2 and then fold over another 1/3 and wrap around the top knot.

Fold over the paper. Where you want the hair to go, place it now. Also, the back should be even or slightly lower than the front of the papers when you fold it over. You can fold it over the rat tail comb to get a nice fold. Add a band to secure it (that is the only band I use).

You can add a bow if you like and you're done!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you for posting these photos. I have the mesh papers from Sally's and I'm ready to attempt a bow. Our puppy now loves to have her head brushed! Her hair is still fairly short....I cannot fold over the top for a true knot. I can get it to "spout" which is cute. But how do I get it to lay flat? I tried putting the elastic (I actually use the super stretchy, non-catching silicone bands) back so that the front has a lot of poof, and the back has only 1/4" below the band, but all the hair slipped out of the "poof" in front. I guess I have to wait for her hair to grow a bit. I used Infusium frizz control (it's in a small purple pump bottle) on her coat...you only need two or three pumps and it does a wonderful job of keeping the flyaways down. Our puppy's coat is starting to come in, you can see the hair closer to the part has much more shine than the ends. And it is staying in a neat part down her back.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow JMM!!! You're the best!
littlepeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Thanks, Jackie!

I learned to do Lady's topknot from this wonderful tutorial.

Mikey is such a good model!

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: k/c Mom

Wow, this is great... thank you so much!!

k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you so much for that tutorial....I can't use it but if I ever get a female or get rid of my husband so I can put a topknot on Pico, I will know exactly how!

Now, about the part about the dog putting his head down on a blanket or pillow........I don't see that happening with Pico.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is by far the best tutorial I've seen on the internet on how to do a top knot. (Please give Mikey an extra treat from all of us for being such an excellent model)
For the first time, it makes sense to me and appears as if you can see the mesh paper on top. I never knew that, I thought it was hair folded over and that the hair covered the mesh. When you reach down to pat Mikey's head, you feel the mesh paper, correct?

Of course, IzzyBella is too young to hold her head still, she's all over the grooming blanket and her hair is too short for a knot. I think it's even too short for a fountain. We do a pretend grooming every night just so she's used to it and when she gets too wiggly, I merely lift her off the blanket and work while she's dangling her legs.

Can you offer a tutorial on how you get Mikey to sit with his head on the pillow?

Thanks Jackie. You took a lot of time to make this and we appreciate it very much!
020202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am just histerical here!! I cannot even IMAGINE getting Sisse to sit still long enough to attempt this!! I would of been bit to pieces!! She bites the brush, me, the blanket, anything. She is just TO BUSY to sit still. I have Mikie's patience to look forward to.....I will print this thread out so I have it for the future. Thank you so much!! I am going to read this to Sisee!!
Sisses Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm beginning to just enjoy your pictures sooo much... i'm not even reading the descriptions!!! lol... I LOVE the pictures! What a cutie!!!!!