Financial Assistance with Vet Bills - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Default Financial Assistance with Vet Bills

Hopefully the recent thread about Missy Mae's emergency made us all think about what we would do in a health emergency. Most ER vets require payment upfront or they will turn you away. Remember, pet insurance does not work like our insurance does where we can just show our card to get treatment. You must pay your bill, then wait for reimbursement. Having a special account set up for emergency vet bills is a must IMO.

Some vets will set up a payment plan for an established client.

There are also a number of organizations who offer financial assistance with vet bills.

Organizations that help with vet bills - Feline Diabetes

Help w/Vet Bills

PDSA - Eligibility

Celia Hammond Animal Trust UK Rescue Shelters

http://www.catsincrisis.org/

Mercy Crusade
P.O. Box 3265, Van Nuys, CA 91407
(818) 597-2926 / (805) 520-0734 / FAX: (818) 597-3490
Financial help with spay/neuter, vet bills. E-mail: [email protected]

In Memory of Magic (IMOM) is dedicated to insuring that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged.
http://www.imom.org
IMOM, Inc
PO Box 282
Cheltenham, MD 20623
Phone (866)-230-2164 Fax (301)-599-1852

United Animal Nations established the LifeLine fund in 1997 to aid companion animals in times of life-threatening emergencies when their caregivers, with low or no incomes, are unable to afford the entire cost of treatment.
http://uan.org/lifeline/index.html
United Animal Nations
P.O. Box 188890
Sacramento, California 95818
Telephone: (916) 429 2457 fax: (916) 429 2456
LifeLine Fund - http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=28

Help-A-Pet is a nonprofit organization, which provides financial assistance for the medical care of pets whose guardians are unable to afford the expense
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home..html
Help-A-Pet
P. O. Box 244
Hinsdale, Illinois 60521
Telephone: (630) 986-9504 fax: (630) 986-9141

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Programs provides financial assistance for emergency medical care for cats.
http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/
FVEAP
1641 Elizabeth Lane
Yuba City, CA 95993
Fax: 888-301-4264

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/home/
"The heartbreak happens all too often ? a pet owner is unable to afford treatment and their sick or injured companion animal pays the price. If the owner is elderly, disabled or on a fixed income, the cost of care may be too much of a stretch for their pocketbook. Perhaps they have been victimized by crime, property loss or a job layoff and are experiencing a temporary financial hardship making it
too difficult to afford pet care. And some animals, brought to clinics by Good Samaritans, don't have an owner to pay for treatment. Whatever the situation, the fact remains the same: When sick or injured animals are unable to receive veterinary care, they suffer. Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
www.Angels4Animals.org
"Angels4Animals, a non-profit organization and a program of Inner Voice Community Services, has a mission to serve as the guardian angel of animals whose caretakers find themselves in difficult financial situations. At Angels4Animals we believe that animal owners should not have to say goodbye to the animals that they love. Our work is accomplished in conjunction with veterinary clinics across the country, eager to assist as many animals, and their owners, as possible. Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
www.carecredit.com
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"CareCredit, the leader in patient/client financing, has helped more than 3 million patients/clients get the treatment or procedures they needed and wanted. With a comprehensive range of plan options, for treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every budget."

The Pet Fund

http://thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care. Often animals are put down or suffer
needlessly because their owners cannot afford expensive surgery or emergency vet visits. Companion animal owners must often make the difficult decision to put an animal down or neglect urgent medical needs because of the costs involved. The purpose of the Pet Fund is to work towards a future where decisions about companion animal medical care need never be made on the basis of cost."

UK Assistance with Veterinary Bills
http://www.petloversonline.co.uk/financial.htm
"Most of us can cope with the financial commitment involved in the day to day care of our pets. However, how many of us come out in a cold sweat when our pet is ill or injured and we know we have to take it to the vet? Most of us are fortunate enough to be able to afford it but, some of us who love our animals dearly cannot. Unfortunately we do not have a PDSA or a RSPCA Centre within our area, but there are a few charities who may be able to help."

AAHA Helping Pets Fund
Animal Care and Welfare, Inc. (Pittsburg, PA)
Canine Cancer Awareness

Dougal's Fund, Inc.
Organized exclusively for charitable purposes to provide funds for medical care of pets, mainly small, short legged terriers such as Scotties, Westies, Cairns, Norwich, Norfolk, etc., in alleviation of the pet’s pain and suffering when financial need has been demonstrated. Dougal's normally determines financial need as that instance where professional medical care will not be provided due to the inability of the pet's guardian/s to pay for the services

Wrapped In Kindness

The Mosby Foundation: The Mosby Foundation

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: * Erin *
Dog's Name: Hunter

This is a great post Marj!

Another thing to think about is if YOU have an emergency - please have a plan for your pet (who will take them or pick them up from your house, etc) too many pets die in locked homes and apartments when their owner falls ill and extended family forgets about the pets!
Hunter's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Save Our Pets decals in windows can save your pet's life in case of fire.

Pet Alert - Helping to Save Pet's Lives

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Cassie BN,RI, RN, CGCA Bogie forever in my heart 7-20-04 to 7-3-19
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

Thank you, Marj, I am putting a copy in my doggy info file. Hopefully, I'll never need it, but you never know what life brings.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Kallie, Brandy, Buffy & Toby
Send a message via Yahoo to Morkie4

GREAT information. For me, I personally have a credit card set aside that is "ONLY" to be used for the fluffs medical emergencies........thank goodness I have only had to use it once for Toby when he HGE.

Thanks Marj!

Brandy, Kallie, Toby & Wee Buffy
Morkie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Sophie & Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Save Our Pets decals in windows can save your pet's life in case of fire.

Pet Alert - Helping to Save Pet's Lives
This is a good idea on the face of it, but I've asked several firefighters if they look for the stickers. The answer was no they didn't and didn't know they existed for pets. They said that there is usually so much going on when they arrive at a fire and that if the house is engulfed the smoke is so black they wouldn't be able to find a crate any way. I actually asked what their advice would be about crating or not crating in case of an emergency and the consensus was not to crate - the pet would then at least have a chance to escape on its own.

They said the ideal would be a doggie door that exited into a fenced in yard or other enclosure and that the dog would be trained when the fire alarm went off they needed to exit the house via the doggie door and stay out and at the end of the enclosure or yard.

Sorry about going off topic just wanted to share this.

sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: k/c Mom

Thanks so much for the info Marj. I'm sure it will be very helpful to members and lurkers, alike!

k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

That is interesting about the firefighters. My neighboors know of Alex. We also have a security system that includes fire and I am wondering if the Monitoring service could put a note in their system to tell the firefighters that there might be a dog in the house.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to cyndrae

Great info Marj!
I also will print for my file.

cyndrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
That is interesting about the firefighters. My neighboors know of Alex. We also have a security system that includes fire and I am wondering if the Monitoring service could put a note in their system to tell the firefighters that there might be a dog in the house.
Yes they can.