Dr. Dodds Nutriscan Test for food sensitivities - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw View Post
Marj, what's your source for the ingredients for food allergies? I've read different ingredients from other sources.

From Michigan State Veterinary school:

Proteins in beef, dairy products, wheat, chicken, egg, and soy products are often linked to food allergies in dogs. Corn is rarely a cause of food allergy, but has been a popular ingredient in dog foods for many years.

Link to the article:

Canine Food Allergies — College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University

From a veterinary nutritionist at petdiets.com:

The pet food marketing teams are playing that card for all it’s worth and in any direction necessary to make a sale, hence the importance of naming the product. Also note the advertising statements that a product “does not contain soy, corn, or wheat”; such statements imply there is something wrong with these ingredients and hence the foods containing them. In fact, there are no problems associated with these ingredients unless your pet demonstrates allergic reactions to them.

Link:

VNC Nutrition Facts & Myths
Thanks for that, Joy. I'm sure MSU's information is more accurate than what I've read. Could it be just like chicken, that dogs develop allergies to wheat, corn and soy because it is such a common ingredient in commercial dog foods? The constant exposure?

I have both food and environmental allergies myself and that's what my allergist has always drilled into me, that the constant exposure is what causes the body to build up antibodies that trigger the allergic reaction.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Lacie, Breeze (Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont), Secret and Tilly (at the bridge)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Marj -- I know that is true (about the constant exposure). When I've relocated to different parts of the country, I don't have allergies because the environment is new, but once I've lived there for a few years, I do develop allergies to the plants in the current area.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
Marj -- I know that is true (about the constant exposure). When I've relocated to different parts of the country, I don't have allergies because the environment is new, but once I've lived there for a few years, I do develop allergies to the plants in the current area.
How true! I was just retested for allergies a month ago so I could start my allergies shots again. I'm now allergic to bermuda grass which is everywhere down here in Pinehurst because it's the only thing that will grow on the sandy soil. I'm now allergic to pine which is the main tree down here. (Raleigh was the City of Oaks).

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose & Lily, Teddy & Eva are (At Rainbow Bridge)

What is odd to me though is that to my knowledge, my Lily has never eaten beef, corn, soy, or had cow's milk. If she has not been exposed "over and over" to these items, how can she develop an allergy to them? This is all very interesting.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Lacie, Breeze (Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont), Secret and Tilly (at the bridge)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

April -- I believe that you are born with certain allergies or food intolerances. Look at new born babies that can't tolerate cow's milk and must be put on soy or something else. And then I think you can also develop allergies to certain things from over exposure.

I'm certainly not an expert on this, but that's always been my understanding.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

So happy to see that saliva testing is now an option for our fluffs! I got really sick a couple of years ago (VERY long story that I will spare you), and when conventional tests and hospital stays were hitting a brick wall, a 24 hour saliva test provided some results! I had adrenal issues, food sensitivities and drum roll please....menopause. I know, too much info lol. While some MD's won't recognize such tests, I have found that they have been a very powerful diagnostic tool. I would gladly consider this option for our Bella if there is ever a need.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

That sounds like a really promising test. Thanks so much for sharing!

I just started reading the second edition of Monica Segal's book K9 Kitchen a couple nights ago and there was a brief bit on food allergies near the beginning. I believe she said that it's estimated that less than 10% of dogs have a true food allergy of some sort but many others may have a food intolerance. She then briefly explained the difference between a food allergy and food intolerance--mainly that an allergy involves the immune system and an intolerance does not. For an example of the latter, she used lactose intolerance and said that it happens due to the body's inability to produce enough lactase--the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar. I wonder if she'll elaborate on the topic in a later chapter or not.

It's pretty exciting that the test should be able to identify lesser food intolerances than what would show up from traditional allergy tests... and yet all you have to do is get your dog to salivate!
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

FYI, this is from the FAQ for the saliva test:

Q. What foods are tested ? Will this panel be expanded ?
A. Six primary food antigens are tested now: beef, corn, eggs, cow’s milk, soy
and wheat. This panel will be expanded to include two different panels each containing 10 food antigens in the next year.

I'm sure they'll add chicken to the list... but it looks like it's not on there yet.
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose & Lily, Teddy & Eva are (At Rainbow Bridge)

I want to point out that an allergy and an intolerance are two different things. Allergies in dogs most often involve itching although this can be caused by something in food. An intolerance involves gurgly stomach, loose stools, and/or vomiting. I respectfully disagree with "a lot of holistic vets" that there is no such thing as IBD and that it is all food-related. Just because the dog has food sensitivities does not mean the dog does not have an IBD and to rotate diets for IBD dogs could be catastrophic. IBD can be a serious condition that needs to be monitored by a qualified veterinarian. Here is a good link on IBD written by a veterinary internist but there is a lot of good info out there
www.halopets.com/pet-education/pet-articles/Inflammatory-Bowel-Disease-in-Dogs.html
Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Thanks April. Glad your baby is better!
I have both bookmarked this site & forwarded the information to both of my vets. Since it can be air-mailed (must be rc'vd. w/in 10 days) I think they could use it from here even!
I love SM for this reason too!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement