Dr. Dodds Nutriscan Test for food sensitivities - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose & Lily, Teddy & Eva are (At Rainbow Bridge)
Exclamation Dr. Dodds Nutriscan Test for food sensitivities

Dr. Dodds has come out with a test using saliva to detect food sensitivities and intolerances in dogs that is now available. As you know, my Lily had symptoms of IBD and was very ill, and her breeder suggested the test. You can do it at home and they send you a kit with complete instructions; you send the sample back and Dr. Dodds emails results to you or you can order the kit and have your vet do it. Because the test is so new, most vets are not aware of it yet. My Lily has serious food intolerances to beef, corn, eggs, milk, soy, and wheat. I don't know if they test for chicken/poultry but you can ask. Food intolerances may be a trigger for IBD, which I did not know. I think this test is invaluable and wanted to share this information. Perhaps it can be pinned. http://nutriscan.org

Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray, Hope & Fifi in Heaven

Thank you April. This is good news. Now Lily can avoid those foods and be all well, and we will know what to do, if our fluffs start having problems.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Isn't that wonderful to have such a simple test available now?

Glad you found out what Lily is allergic to. Did you know that wheat, soy and corn and the top three ingredients dogs are allergic to?

Lily may develop allergies to other ingredients with constant exposure. It's important to rotate through different protein and carb sources regularly to avoid building up antibodies that trigger the allergic reaction. I had to do that with Lady and plan to do that with Bailey just to be safe. I just started him on Fromm Four Star per Josy and will buy a different "flavor" with each new bag.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post

Glad you found out what Lily is allergic to. Did you know that wheat, soy and corn and the top three ingredients dogs are allergic to?

Lily may develop allergies to other ingredients with constant exposure. It's important to rotate through different protein and carb sources regularly to avoid building up antibodies that trigger the allergic reaction. I had to do that with Lady and plan to do that with Bailey just to be safe. I just started him on Fromm Four Star per Josy and will buy a different "flavor" with each new bag.
Fromm is an excellent food and that is what Josy feeds.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Thank you April. This is good news. Now Lily can avoid those foods and be all well, and we will know what to do, if our fluffs start having problems.

Yeah, good to know.
The test is easy to do at home and can help lots of fluffs.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I have bookmarked the site for possible future use. :-) I also use fromm four star, I try to stick with the grain free formulas though, as I believe Rocky may be sensitive to some grains.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin), & the original...Zoe in heaven

So glad you are getting some answers! Chicken is also one of the top foods out there dogs are allergic to. I love Fromm's and sell it here. I'm thrilled that they are coming out with 2 new formulas that are grain free. And like Marj said...rotating is the best way to go.

A lot of holistic vets are saying that they really don't think there is such a things as IBD but it's all food allergies and intolerance's. At this point I'm thinking they may be right on that.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
So glad you are getting some answers! Chicken is also one of the top foods out there dogs are allergic to. I love Fromm's and sell it here. I'm thrilled that they are coming out with 2 new formulas that are grain free. And like Marj said...rotating is the best way to go.

A lot of holistic vets are saying that they really don't think there is such a things as IBD but it's all food allergies and intolerance's. At this point I'm thinking they may be right on that.
I was told that the main reason so many dogs are allergic to chicken is that it is the most common ingredient in dog food so they are constantly exposed to it, not that there is anything "wrong" with chicken. Lamb used to be what was recommended for dogs with allergies, but it is such a common ingredient in today's dog food that dog have developed allergies to it, too.

I've never used Fromm before, but Josy recommends it. I liked the fact that it has four different varieties so I can rotate.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Lacie, Breeze (Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont), Secret and Tilly (at the bridge)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

This is wonderful news. April -- thanks so much for sharing this. I am "stickying" this thread.

And I'm glad that you've finally gotten answers to little Lily's problems.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
vjw
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post

Marj, what's your source for the ingredients for food allergies? I've read different ingredients from other sources.

From Michigan State Veterinary school:

Proteins in beef, dairy products, wheat, chicken, egg, and soy products are often linked to food allergies in dogs. Corn is rarely a cause of food allergy, but has been a popular ingredient in dog foods for many years.

Link to the article:

Canine Food Allergies — College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University

From a veterinary nutritionist at petdiets.com:

The pet food marketing teams are playing that card for all it’s worth and in any direction necessary to make a sale, hence the importance of naming the product. Also note the advertising statements that a product “does not contain soy, corn, or wheat”; such statements imply there is something wrong with these ingredients and hence the foods containing them. In fact, there are no problems associated with these ingredients unless your pet demonstrates allergic reactions to them.

Link:

VNC Nutrition Facts & Myths
vjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement