Sweet Elena and the perils of hypoglycemia - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Steve, Fat Amy, Echo and Trixie
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese
Default Sweet Elena and the perils of hypoglycemia

I was just looking through my photo bucket account and came across these 'before' photos of Elena and I just wanted to share them as a precautionary tale.

Thanks to a bug that we brought home from a dog show last year, (vomiting/diarrhea that made Lucy and Emma feel crummy for a day but really hit the litter of pups hard) Elena had a very very bad hypoglycemic episode when she was 9 weeks old and almost did not make it (went into shock with eyes rolled back and was completely non-responsive. Marina is still traumatized by it). Elena was in ICU for a few days and then I brought her home. As often happens with hypoglycemic puppies, she lost most of her coat except for a few stringy strands, in addition to the shaved areas from the ER vet.

Missing most of the hair on her neck and legs. Definitely not looking like a show puppy!

White gums are one of the signs of hypoglycemia

And they can act like they are drunk - not able to walk straight, etc. This video is a little disturbing to watch but I had given the pup karo syrup already and was waiting for it to raise the blood sugar. They go from looking like this to hauling their little fannies all over the place very quickly though - karo syrup is a wonderful thing to have on hand!

Floppy pup again - YouTube

This is another reason why it can be scary to see how young some breeders sell their puppies to new puppy owners and why I whole heartedly agree with the 12 week rule!

And a year later, Bellarata's Prophecy Girl.

No hair on her legs

I have to say though that even though this traumatic event happened during the 'fear' stage, Elena came through it emotionally unscathed and is almost obnoxious with how friendly she is. The judges have to smile at her because when ever they approach her on the table, Elena is always smiling and wagging her tail frantically.

She has 5 points towards her championship now, with one major (needs two majors) and I am so glad she came through this experience as such a happy, healthy and outgoing girl. This was definitely a learning experience for me and I can say without a doubt that hypoglycemia is NOT something you want to mess around with or vomiting/diarrhea in puppies. It knocked her on her butt soooooo fast and I think if we had taken any long to get Elena to the ER vet, she would not have made it. Her blood sugar was at an acceptable level because of the karo i had shoved down her but her body had shut down and she was completely limp and unresponsive. Scary scary stuff! I have a video of a hypoglycemic puppy that I can post to 'show' how they act when their blood sugar is too low, so just let me know if I should. It can be kind of hard to watch so I don't want to just add it here.

Last edited by Lacie's Mom; 06-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

OMG, Stacy. Had to be one of the most frightening experiences you've ever had and poor Marina - an awful thing for someone that young to see, especially with how much she loves those pups. She is so amazing now that it's so hard to believe she went through that and looked that way. Thank goodness!! I'd like to see the video just as a learning opportunity to know what to look for. Anyone who doesn't want to see it can read your warning. I guess put it in that post.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey

Wow, I had no idea Elena went through that as a pup Thank God she made it. She has grown up to be such a gorgeous girl. I love her smile

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Cheri S
Dog's Name: (TNT) Hallelujah (Hallie Lu) Harlow and Bailey (Together Forever at the Bridge)

Stacy, while I'm probably not really 'up' to it today, I think it would be a very valuable tool to have on here!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Stacy, thank you for sharing Elena's story. I am so happy that she made a full recovery. She is so beautiful, her personality shows in those pics of what a happy little girl she is.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

She is so precious and I'm glad she survived and her, Lucy & Emma's health is better now!
Her coat is beautiful
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Oh my goodness-- the before pics are shocking! but her recovery is beyond beautiful I just love Elena Stacy, thank you for sharing this story as it really is a lesson to us all. This shows just how vulnerable young puppies are and that hypoglycemia is no joke. I don't even want to think about what could have happened without the karo syrup on hand .

Obi and I are cheering Elena and Marina on as she finishes her championship!!! Go Elena!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Steve, Fat Amy, Echo and Trixie
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
OMG, Stacy. Had to be one of the most frightening experiences you've ever had and poor Marina - an awful thing for someone that young to see, especially with how much she loves those pups. She is so amazing now that it's so hard to believe she went through that and looked that way. Thank goodness!! I'd like to see the video just as a learning opportunity to know what to look for. Anyone who doesn't want to see it can read your warning. I guess put it in that post.
I posted the video. It didn't slow Elena down any, that is for sure. Every video I took before she crashed, she is getting into trouble. And today, she is still getting into trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
Wow, I had no idea Elena went through that as a pup Thank God she made it. She has grown up to be such a gorgeous girl. I love her smile
Elena is always smiling. Or smirking. She is just a happy girl! I'm glad her coat grew back though - even though it feels like it's taken forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS View Post
Stacy, while I'm probably not really 'up' to it today, I think it would be a very valuable tool to have on here!
Oh i understand *hugs* How are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
Stacy, thank you for sharing Elena's story. I am so happy that she made a full recovery. She is so beautiful, her personality shows in those pics of what a happy little girl she is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaNotte View Post
She is so precious and I'm glad she survived and her, Lucy & Emma's health is better now!
Her coat is beautiful
Oh Lucy and Emma were only feeling puny for a day or two, thank goodness! Elena bounced back fairly quickly though and continued her reign of terror :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Oh my goodness-- the before pics are shocking! but her recovery is beyond beautiful I just love Elena Stacy, thank you for sharing this story as it really is a lesson to us all. This shows just how vulnerable young puppies are and that hypoglycemia is no joke. I don't even want to think about what could have happened without the karo syrup on hand .

Obi and I are cheering Elena and Marina on as she finishes her championship!!! Go Elena!!!
Obi was the only one of the four who didn't really get that vomiting/diarrhea thing - geez, that was miserable! Lucy got it first after being at a dog show and bringing it home, then Emma got it, then the puppies. I sure learned a lot about puppy critical care during that time!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

The video and pictures should be pinned so that new puppy owners can watch and learn.

And Lola at the Bridge
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Stacy, I agree w/Pam---this is a great learning tool for new owners!
I am happy she turned out so beautiful & that you were on the ball.
I had a neighbor in TX. who adopted a little Yorkie & it was tiny---it had a hypoglycemic seizure in front of us while we were talking on the street---she didn't know what it was. Thank God it happened there & then. It can be really scary!
I have hypoglycemia myself & it is nothing to fool around with.
Little Elena has a beautiful build---I am rooting for her all the way! Do keep posting photos!

"Wag more Bark less"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread