A WARNING about heating pads - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: *Tammy*
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Benjamin Angelo & Marcris Sweet Dreams Emma Anjelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
Tammy -- thanks for posting again. If you don't mind, I'm going to sticky this post.

I've been in dogs (breeding, showing, etc.) for more than 30 years and yet, I still have never seen anything like this. It was a real eye opener for me.

When Tilly had her mole removed a couple of weeks ago, even though only a local was used, I asked about heating pads. Because of what happened to sweet little Benny, I now know to check on this whenever I'm leaving any of my fluffs for a procedure.

Tammy -- how is your little boy doing? Hope he's healing well (the picture after the stitches are out looks great). How's he doing emotionally?
YES! Please sticky it Lynn! Thank you! I want everyone to know about this risk.

He's doing so so Lynn. Starting to come around again but he's still not 100% Benny. Keep in mind all the changes...the new house and renovations too, but the burns certainly are what really changed him. He can be withdrawn and reactive at times, but I'm also giving him to time to adjust to when the house is done to see if he settles down after that. I will contact a behaviorist if I don't see any improvement. Skin wise he's healing nicely but he does have some completely bald spots. No hair growing back at all yet in some areas. I am hopeful that over time you won't be able to notice.

And I'm really glad you asked your vet about heating pads. I want our story to help others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
It is amazing how smart we all are and how little we know really. Thank you Tammy for helping educate all of us---we learn at little Benny's expense.
I also learned to put a seat belt on my babies because someone on here lost a little girl in an accident after a spay. Hard lessons.
Kisses to sweet Benny, big hug for you and a wink at your little girl. Won't be long now!
Yup! This is why we must all share our experiences...good and bad. As a community we have to make each other aware.

And can you believe....ONLY 5 more weeks till baby gir'sl arrival
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillette View Post
Benny has continued to stay in my prayers. My heart still breaks for him and what he has endured. Thank you for posting this awareness for everyone Tammy. His skin looks like it is healing nicely since the stitches have come out. I am still praying for a full recovery for sweet Benny - medically and emotionally. Please give him kisses for me.
Thank you! Yes he's healing nicely....I just hope he doesn't have to have bald spots forever. Regardless....he will always be adorable and loved.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

Oh your poor baby. I'm so sorry he had to go through all that.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Gracie (Brookside Maltese) and Ella (MaltAngel Maltese)

Tammy, it brings tears to my eyes to see the suffering sweet Benny endured. But I am so grateful to you for sharing your story. I would never have guessed that heating pads were used after anesthesia. Ella has a check up on Wednesday, and I am going to ask my vet if she uses heating pads in her practice. We try our best to be advocates for our precious "babies", so it's scary to think that we don't even know all the questions to ask!

I'm praying that Benny will continue to heal both physically and emotionally from his burns. With your love, I have faith that Benny will overcome this tragedy.

educ8m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bijou View Post
I know the pictures are hard for everyone to look at. I always prided myself in being such a good malt mom. Being smart about food and health care choices for B&E, bringing them to good vets, etc....YET this STILL happened. It's certainly a lesson to us all. We can never be too cautious or over protective of our little ones. Never be afraid to ask! I also had no clue about the dangers of heating pads prior to this happening. So the more people that are aware the better off our babies will be.
Tammy, you ARE absolutely a wonderful malt mama. I'm so sad that you and Benny are going through this- it must break your heart to see him go through the pain and anxiety of it all. But, if anyone has a chance at a full recovery (both physically and emotionally), it is Benny. With your love and care, I hope and pray for complete healing in all ways possible.

The real danger of second-degree burns is that they can progress to third-degree/full-thickness burns during the healing process (as seen in Benny's pics). To the under-trained eye, it might not look so bad initially- but these types of burns need to have cautiously aggressive monitoring. This is not to bash your vet or anyone-- just a reminder that if something looks "off," ask the questions! Tammy, you did the right thing by taking Benny in sooner than his appointment.

I know that beyond the physical healing, you are most concerned with his emotional well-being. Keep nurturing him as you are and as his pain and discomfort resolves, the happy Benny will return. I hope you will update us with his progress. We are thinking of you, Benny and Emma!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carole
Dog's Name: Giovanni & Manny-Guiseppe

Benny looks wonderful - you have taken good care of him! Giovanni was recently neutered and I made certain no electric heating pads would be used. Here's to a complete recovery for sweet Benny!

ckanen2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Tammy thank you so much for sharing Benny's painful and your emotional experience. You have not only educated us, but educated all of our friends who aren't on this forum too. This is not something I would have thought of in a million year. You just don't know what you don't know.

Kisses and puppy snuggles to Benny, feel 100% soon little dude!
LuvMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lindsey
Dog's Name: Mika

Thank you so much for sharing this ! I really feel for and will be thinking about Benny. I will be calling my vet to ask the question ASAP. Major eye opener !!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Tammy, this breaks my heart all over again. Please tell sweet little Benny that his Awntie Maggie loves him very much and wishes she were there to snuggle him. Hugs to you, too and also Emma.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Tammy I am horrified to see beautiful Benny like that. I hope you sue the vet for negligence. They should have been checking that pad and watching him. Oh poor little Benny. I will never forget this and will tell Benny's story to all my friends so this tragic incident doesn't happen again. I hope and pray as Benny!s body heals so will his spirits and he will be your old Benny. Rocky and I send lots of get well wishes. You must have been a wreck seeing him like that! I am so sorry that happened to sweet Benny!

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: *Tammy*
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Benjamin Angelo & Marcris Sweet Dreams Emma Anjelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Tammy, you ARE absolutely a wonderful malt mama. I'm so sad that you and Benny are going through this- it must break your heart to see him go through the pain and anxiety of it all. But, if anyone has a chance at a full recovery (both physically and emotionally), it is Benny. With your love and care, I hope and pray for complete healing in all ways possible.

The real danger of second-degree burns is that they can progress to third-degree/full-thickness burns during the healing process (as seen in Benny's pics). To the under-trained eye, it might not look so bad initially- but these types of burns need to have cautiously aggressive monitoring. This is not to bash your vet or anyone-- just a reminder that if something looks "off," ask the questions! Tammy, you did the right thing by taking Benny in sooner than his appointment.

I know that beyond the physical healing, you are most concerned with his emotional well-being. Keep nurturing him as you are and as his pain and discomfort resolves, the happy Benny will return. I hope you will update us with his progress. We are thinking of you, Benny and Emma!
Thank you! And so true....the burns did not start out that way. They progressed over a week's time. This is also why the surgeon waited to do the surgery...she wanted the burns to finish changing and spreading. The day Ben came home from his dental there was absolutely no immediate indication that he was burned. The burns and Ben's agitation didn't begin until 2 days later.

And thank you for all the good thoughts. Please do feel free to pass this along to all your friends who are not in our community. The more people that know the better off our babies will be.