Getting frustrated - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
KCY

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Angelo
Default Getting frustrated

- barking
- walks
- separation anxiety

When I got my pup at 4 months, it was so easy. Hardly barked and loved going outside. Now at 10 months, barking is excessive, afraid to go outside and howls when I leave. I guess it's my fault because I loved the fact that he followed me everywhere in the house. I played with him when he would carry his toy and drop it in front of me. It was just so cute. Now I'm reading I should initiate and ignore when he does it especially when he barks. I understand that I should be the pact leader but just like a child, you give in and want to spoil them. Also, I work full time that I love giving him all the attention when I get home and weekends. I actually got a dropcam and I can see and hear him using my iPhone when I leave. Boy there' days he howls/whines for 30 minutes. I also notice when I am not giving him attention, he quietly whines. I feel so bad. As for the walking, he heard a loud stupid motorcycle and he just wanted to go back inside. Think that scarred him. I've even given him treats to lure him but just doesn't work.

Sorry this is long. I'm just overwhelmed and frustrated. He is a happy and thank God healthy.. I so want to be a good Mom.... And I know he's only a pup and will get better. Does it??
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Presley, and Sissy at the bridge

He loves you and wants to be with you! I know it's tough to have a boy with separation anxiety. Have you talked to your vet about getting something to calm him? Or tried something like rescue me? It will take trial and error to figure out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, CherryB, Cherish, Charm, Cricket, Conan, Cosette, Chaplain & Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

I don't agree that he should not be able to initiate play. Where did you read that?

I do think that it sounds like he needs more socialization and confidence building. You didn't mention, has he ever been to socialization classes?

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: (Dearest Babinka 06/09/14 at the Rainbow Bridge) Peppino, Tiny Tina, Momma Nellie & Mister Sqeaky

I would try a little bit of rescue remedy for him. By the way you got my attention about the drop camera, please tell me more I need to do this. I have the I phone as well
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

First, stop reading the Caesar Milan books. All that pack leader stuff is nonsense. Go and find a good trainer that utilizes positive training methods. Try to find one that is APDT certified. And you most likely won't find that at Petco or PetSmart. Get him and you going to training together. It will help you to learn how to train him, socialize him and strengthen your dog/owner bond. Good luck!

And Lola at the Bridge
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia and Milo (Jasmine, our beautiful tuxedo cat, at the rainbow bridge) Lucy and Winston
Heart

Crap, I just downloaded a couple of Cesar Millan's book... Oh well, they are entertaining if nothing else. I've noticed he talks only about very large dogs...never addresses the smaller lapdogs very much.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anne
Dog's Name: Alvar & Rem

If you haven't already, I'd find a good trainer and do a private lesson and group classes. Training is great for building confidence and strengthening your relationship with your dog.

Alvar & Rem on Instagram
Alvar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray, Hope & Fifi in Heaven

MiMi barks to initiate play, to get my attention, to get the attention of anybody who comes to visit. For a while it was cute. It is a yap that can make your ears bleed. Lately she has been doing it every time she wants a cookie. Three days ago she started arfing at me to my wits end. Finally, I lost it at screamed at her to shut up. I screamed louder than her arfing. Well, my poor baby looked like she had been totally stricken. But, guess what? The horrible high pitched arfing stopped. Three days and no beasty arfing. I felt so bad, because she looked like I had smacked her in the face. But it worked. That ear splitting arfing is in the past.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Beatriz
Dog's Name: The Maltese Gang - Dominic, Benjamin, Elena & Penelope.

Sylie, those are the moments I wish you had it on video. Lol. But hey, it worked! And made my smile.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (@Rainbow Bridge), Pork Chop, and Emmie
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hi Karen

This remind me so much of Biscuit! We too didn't train him right at the beginning and both Mommy and Daddy spoiled him silly. We didn't socialize him much at all so he shy away from socializing with other dogs, actually I think Biscuit doesn't think he's a dog! LOL.... He also have serious separation anxiety if we leave him alone by himself just for mearly minutes. He Barks and Growls, and when we come home finally he whines too!

Bless you for trying to find answers as it show how much you love Angelo! I think you have receive some sound advice there on finding a private trainer! Goodluck and keep us posted on any new development!

By the way! Angelo looks adorable and cute! Please post more pics of Angelo!

Biscuit (@Rainbow Bridge), Pork Chop, and Emmie

Vinh & Ann
New Orleans, Louisiana
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement