new flea/tick/heartworm medication advertised? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jerry
Dog's Name: Louie

And of course it seems there are no natural predators for fleas and ticks. I've done research and some sites talk about things you can add to their food that make them not taste good or smell good to pests but other sites say they don't work. Why is it something so small is so hard to kill?

At the Bridge...
Smokey my Shepard/Husky mix
Brutus and Trooper, Doberman's
Tera, Great Dane
Ralph, Mixed assortment of furry beasts
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Slick and Mr. Foo, cat brothers
Chubby my big fat gray cat with tighty whitey's
Skinny butt, mixed breed female cat
rag-a-muffin, wild haired mixed breed cat
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: (Dearest Babinka 06/09/14 at the Rainbow Bridge) Peppino, Tiny Tina, Momma Nellie & Mister Sqeaky

This is where I am so lost as well!!! I want to use something that is effective but natural and wont screw with our dogs health!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

If you don't want to make your own mixture, you can always try this :

AROMA PAWS: Natural Bug Repellant Shampoo, Spray and Soy Candle
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

I looked on the website above and one of the ingredients is macadamia oil. I don't know how safe that is. I'm looking for something natural also

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Iubire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

You can try the Diatomaceous Earth ( food grade only!). Here's a link for some info: Diatomaceous Earth Kill Fleas/Ticks|Diatomaceous Earth For Pets

In fact I have to get some myself. I used it last year and it did seem to do the trick. We have too much property to do the whole yard but can 'dust' the area around the immediate patio and along the 'dog-run' . I've never put it directly on the dogs but know many who have without a problem.

Ticks are horrible here this year. Yesterday, taking the dogs for their walk... just going across lawn to the blacktop drive , then back across when we got back, I do inspections before coming in the house. Quincy had none BUT Naddie had 9!! yes 9!! ticks on her!!! Now Naddie had been out to do potty a bit earlier and may have picked up one or two that I missed at that time. None were attached but I was shocked to see so many on her!

Makes me somad that we can't enjoy the lovely ourdoor-life without having to worry about these little beasties! In our area they are at high-rate of carrying not only Lyme but ehrichilosis, babesosis and now another yet 'un-named' bacteria!

I have the 'recipe' given here for a natural repellant but still haven't gotten the rose-geranium oils. It's on order.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jerry
Dog's Name: Louie

I have no idea what the level of ticks carrying lyme or other things in this area is. I do know we have a lot of deer and other wildlife all around us.

I can tell you a very easy way to see if you have any fleas that made it inside your house. This is something I did a few years back when we had fleas that got on one of my indoor/outdoor cats (he's now at the bridge) I learned this trick online. Put some warm water in a shallow pan with a couple drops of dish washing soap on the floor in the middle of the room and put a small desk light over it shining down into the pan. If you have an aquarium air pump put that by the pan because both the light and vibrations attract the fleas. It works without the pump if you don't have one. The next morning look in the pan and if there are fleas you'll see little black dots in the water. I did this along with other treatments, flea baths and it really helped. It took about two weeks of doing this before I got to the point where I wasn't finding any more fleas in the pan but I left it out for a few more days just to make sure. The first few mornings I was finding lots of the little blood suckers in the pan. The dish soap breaks the surface tension of the water, without it the fleas won't drown. I had been trying to battle them for weeks before learning about this with no luck. The fleas had gotten so bad we had flea bites on our legs but once the pan of water was in place it made a huge difference. Even after it seemed like we got rid of them I would put out the pan the same way about once a week just to see if I caught any more. It costs nothing to do this and it sure does help. The fleas are attracted to the heat from the light and jump towards it and land in the water.

At the Bridge...
Smokey my Shepard/Husky mix
Brutus and Trooper, Doberman's
Tera, Great Dane
Ralph, Mixed assortment of furry beasts
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Slick and Mr. Foo, cat brothers
Chubby my big fat gray cat with tighty whitey's
Skinny butt, mixed breed female cat
rag-a-muffin, wild haired mixed breed cat
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote