Follow-up to Quincy's illness - vaccine maker offering to give us money. Thoughts? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, it's a nice little offer for sure. It makes me very suspicious that they have some sort of knowledge that their vaccine has caused problems for other dogs. In truth, there is no way that you or anyone else could prove beyond a shadow that this was the cause. And all of the recent research does point to a genetic defect that makes some dogs vunerable to this problem. And the court doesn't recognize dogs as it does humans when it comes to damages. Dogs are considered property, so it fairly well limits the amount of any settlement you would ever recieve in court. So, it really seems they would really like to shut you up to be blunt. I can't answer for you. I know first hand how expensive the vet bills are for GME (just finally paid off a credit card I was using for Lola who died over a year ago!). For me though, I think I would want to be able to say my peace and educate any and everyone that would listen to me!

And Lola at the Bridge
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with Shelly. I don't believe that I would take the money and think this could be dealt with in a way that could bring this out in the open and save the lives of many fluffs. It is very odd they would be doing this.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maureen
Dog's Name: Cherry Lola, (Bonnies Angels) Penny Lane, (Spunsilk)

$1,500 is pretty much chump change to the big companies to minimize possible bad publicity. That's my take on it. So really I think it is your decision as to whether you would prefer the money or the ability to talk about the possible connection with others. If it had been 15K then that would have been a different scenario all together.

silverhaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

May Prayer Help You In the right direction.
Ill Be Praying for you.
Nickee in Pa*
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

I find this very odd as well.
I lost my little Bunny to GME shortly after a vaccination too. Perhaps the problem is much more widespread that anyone is aware of and it just isn't public information yet?
My other thought is that perhaps they are trying to maintain a good relationship with your vet, since vets are the ones "distributing" their product.
In either event, offering to give you money for silence sure makes it seem like they are acknowledging that their vaccine is in some part responsible.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Dog's Name: Woodrow, Winston & Whitmore. Quincy in Heaven (9/1/10 to 4/21/13)

thanks for the input. It's a balancing act in terms of not accusing the vaccine of being the actual cause (as there is no concrete scientific proof of that in Quincy's case) but still being able to share our experience and let others decide for themselves how to care for their dogs. I know one thing for sure, our approach to vaccines is going to be completely different going forward with Woodrow or any dog in our family.

My gut tells me Quincy was predisposed to this disease and it took some trigger, like a vaccine, to bring it to the surface. But was it a specific vaccine, the fact that he was given multiple vaccines at once, the fact that this was his Xth round of vaccines? Without scientific proof, it's all speculation. But at the same time, there is SOME connection between the vaccines and Quincy showing symptoms of this disease. He started having small focal seizures two days after getting his vaccines and had NEVER had any seizures prior to that.
AaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Link to GME and vaccines?

How to Make Rabies Vaccination Safer for Dogs | Truth4Dogs

If I were a vet and I kinda realized that sometimes vaccines led to things like GME, I would think that would put me in a very sticky situation. I am not claiming your vet knows anything like that, but if a vet did, or was even suspicious of it-I don't think they could really say so until it had been proven-and that might be really difficult in just one case. And pharmaceutical companies-that's where the money is these days and they are VERY good at cleaning up after themselves for the most part.

I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but it is a possibility.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose & Lily, Teddy & Eva are (At Rainbow Bridge)

As I recall, Quincy's illness came on right after he was vaccinated..(?) Autoimmune disease, including encephalitis,(while rare) can be one of the side effects of vaccination...I have a Maltese who almost died from being vaccinated..also right after the vaccine, she developed inflammatory bowel disease, allergies, and has not been "right" since. (her immune system is compromised) She was fine before she was vaccinated. Maltese are one of the toy breeds most prone to vaccine reactions which is why we like to separate vaccines and not give the shots all at once..most vets should be aware of this, but sadly, some are not. I wish vaccines were safer. Even if Quincy had a predisposition to GME, he may have been healthy his whole life had he not had the vaccine that caused the reaction...the vaccines are to get the body to produce an immune response.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Dog's Name: Woodrow, Winston & Whitmore. Quincy in Heaven (9/1/10 to 4/21/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I find this very odd as well.
I lost my little Bunny to GME shortly after a vaccination too. Perhaps the problem is much more widespread that anyone is aware of and it just isn't public information yet?
My other thought is that perhaps they are trying to maintain a good relationship with your vet, since vets are the ones "distributing" their product.
In either event, offering to give you money for silence sure makes it seem like they are acknowledging that their vaccine is in some part responsible.
Good point, this could be more about buying good PR with our vet than with us.

They are most certainly buying something, I don't think for one second they are doing this completely out of charity. If they gave us money and did not ask us to sign anything, then it might be one thing (although I could never see a company doing that under such circumstances).

This might better explain the $1500 amount. It's enough to make you really consider it, unlike a $200 offer or something like that. It makes you think if they know what the "magic number" is in terms of what people are most likely to accept. For a lot of people, $1500 is 1/2 a month's gross income (or more).
AaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
My gut tells me Quincy was predisposed to this disease and it took some trigger, like a vaccine, to bring it to the surface. But was it a specific vaccine, the fact that he was given multiple vaccines at once, the fact that this was his Xth round of vaccines? Without scientific proof, it's all speculation. But at the same time, there is SOME connection between the vaccines and Quincy showing symptoms of this disease. He started having small focal seizures two days after getting his vaccines and had NEVER had any seizures prior to that.
But even if we don't know that it is a specific vaccine, or the size of the dose for our little guys, or the xth time of vaccination, the fact that your Quincy, and my Bunny, and so many others all developed GME shortly after vaccination is information that should be out there. Eventually the link will be figured out, but for now, by sharing our stories, hopefully it makes other owners more cautious about vaccinations and spurs some change. I think that change is going to have to come through owners' demands, not through vets or drug companies who profit from vaccines.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement