Nutrical: Bad Advice - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I never had it in the house nor used it either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Really need to pin this topic. it happens pretty often here.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Thanks Carina. Great post.

I have raised four Maltese (from varying ages of puppyhood)
and have used Nutrical ONCE.
It's an emergency item, good to have on hand, all though one may never use it.
Similar to a fire extinguisher or an Epi-pen (Epinephrine for severe allergy)

(It was Tucker who needed it once, as a youngster, low sugar episode,
started rubbing some Nutrical on the gums followed by placing wet food into his mouth.
He was a bit chilled in his crate.
And ever since then I leave food in his crate over night.)
This is contrary to some beliefs that say withhold food before bed,
but with him I provide food to him 24/7.
Water is always avail to everyone.
I don't leave food out for my dogs but they all get one or two cookies at bedtime. I don't like them going to bed on an empty stomach and I've never had episodes of them vomiting bile early in the morning. I think especially with small dogs it is wise to let them eat something at bedtime.

As for Nutrical, I think it's wise to have it on hand if necessary but I keep throwing away unopened expired tubes of it as I've thankfully never had to use it. In a pinch one can always use corn syrup or honey as a substitute for Nutrical.

If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place. - Margaret Mead
MaryH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Is nutrical ever used in adult Maltese? Or only pups.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
Smile I just found this old thread

I Just found this thread & had to comment because the breeder I got my dog from had me feeding Baby Nutrical 24/7 when we brought him home for the first few weeks. They said it was to keep his blood sugar from dropping or he could go into shock. He was a tiny boy & wasn't a good eater. I was new to having such a small breed dog & trusted that they new what they were talking about so I did it. I had no idea it was bad for him. They told me to give him Nutracal every two hours or so, I even got up several times during each night to feed it to him per their instructions were to do that...

I told them he wasn't eating much real food at all & they said "that's ok he's getting the Nutracal". I cringe thinking about it now! Soooo much sugar for the first few weeks! After realized this stuff was mostly sugar, in order to try to get him to eat real food I began feeding my puppy his dog food off of my fingers & he started to eat more & more regular food after that & I stopped the Nutracal completely. He was a very insecure nervous puppy & I think feeding him from my fingers while he was cuddled up in my lap made him feel secure enough to eat. After a while after he had become a better eater as a puppy it was difficult at first to break him of the habbit of wanting to sit in my lap & eat from my fingers, but eventually he did graduate to using his bowl.Baby is still not a 'great' eater but is much better than when he was a puppy. He is on high quality Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw food now and eats normally from his bowl.

Last edited by LOVE_BABY; 06-17-2015 at 03:21 PM.
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

Thanks for the reminder Carina, this one is very important and a lot of people just aren't aware.

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jane
Dog's Name: Carley Rose, and sweet dreams: Sparkle, Snowflake, Puppy Dolly

Thanks Carina!!

Follow Carley on Facebook: Carley Rose the maltese
or Instagram: janehdog
puppydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray, Hope & Fifi in Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE_BABY View Post
I Just found this thread & had to comment because the breeder I got my dog from had me feeding Baby Nutrical 24/7 when we brought him home for the first few weeks. They said it was to keep his blood sugar from dropping or he could go into shock. He was a tiny boy & wasn't a good eater. I was new to having such a small breed dog & trusted that they new what they were talking about so I did it. I had no idea it was bad for him. They told me to give him Nutracal every two hours or so, I even got up several times during each night to feed it to him per their instructions were to do that...

I told them he wasn't eating much real food at all & they said "that's ok he's getting the Nutracal". I cringe thinking about it now! Soooo much sugar for the first few weeks! After realized this stuff was mostly sugar, in order to try to get him to eat real food I began feeding my puppy his dog food off of my fingers & he started to eat more & more regular food after that & I stopped the Nutracal completely. He was a very insecure nervous puppy & I think feeding him from my fingers while he was cuddled up in my lap made him feel secure enough to eat. After a while after he had become a better eater as a puppy it was difficult at first to break him of the habbit of wanting to sit in my lap & eat from my fingers, but eventually he did graduate to using his bowl.Baby is still not a 'great' eater but is much better than when he was a puppy. He is on high quality Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw food now and eats normally from his bowl.
Didn't you say that Baby had bad tear staining as a little puppy? There are (from what I remember reading) two different kinds of tear stains. One is an over abundance of yeast. Yeast grows fast in a body with high sugar levels.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
Smile Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Didn't you say that Baby had bad tear staining as a little puppy? There are (from what I remember reading) two different kinds of tear stains. One is an over abundance of yeast. Yeast grows fast in a body with high sugar levels.
Thats a good point Sylvia, I never thought of that! The Nutra cal had probably made his staining worse, it was terrible when he was a puppy a dark color the color of dried blood.... Made people afraid to touch him everyone would ask about the staining. Now that his face is clear people can't keep thier hands off of him. Nowadays Baby is on the Stella & chewy's freeze dried raw, but he still occasionally gets treats of banana, cantaloupe, raspberries, strawberries now & then. Stella & chewy's has a bit of fruit in it too.

Fruit has 'sugar' even though it's natural. I wonder if the fruit could be contributing to the stains? Baby still even now will get terrible staining if I cut out the Tylan powder. One day I hope to find out the true cause of Baby's staining, whether it's yeast or something else, & find a permanent solution for it that doesn't involve antibiotics.... I feel guilty every day for giving them to him. Someone else had mentioned that 'narrow or clogged tear ducts' could also be the problem. Is that what you had read? My vet say's it's bad to leave Baby with having the stains. Anyway, thanks for bringing that to my attention about the yeast feeding on the sugar!
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ah it's new thing to me.. I never thought this way before. In fact my information was completely opposite of these. Thank God I've not acted upon that advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement