Kitzel--growth ?? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Hi Sandi!
Iím not sure if you remember when Ling Ling had a rare growth that grew like a horn, slow growing but was a cancerous growth. Fortunately, when they took a biopsy, the margins were wide enough that she didnít need treatment.
I attached a bunch of pictures of what hers looked like. This was the day I was bathing her and I picked off the hard horn thing growing, so itís angry looking but you can get an idea of what it looked like to compare to Kitzelís.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitzel--growth ??-b9a59880-7a91-471f-b07e-dcfebb2f6a35.jpg   Kitzel--growth ??-56344050-1180-453b-b367-dcc95c99a4db.jpg   Kitzel--growth ??-33d45173-c84a-4d97-9f53-bea55b4d8421.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Cassie BN,RI, RN, CGCA Bogie forever in my heart 7-20-04 to 7-3-19
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

Bogie had a number of growths that looked like Kitzel's. One on his head grew and ruptured. The vet said these growths are common as dogs age but usually aren't a problem.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Hi Sandi!
Iím not sure if you remember when Ling Ling had a rare growth that grew like a horn, slow growing but was a cancerous growth. Fortunately, when they took a biopsy, the margins were wide enough that she didnít need treatment.
I attached a bunch of pictures of what hers looked like. This was the day I was bathing her and I picked off the hard horn thing growing, so itís angry looking but you can get an idea of what it looked like to compare to Kitzelís.
Joanne, I had forgotten about that---Kitzel's would be defined as slow growing as well---and it looked exactly like your photos early on--now it has turned darker. Where was her's located on the body. Do you remember what kind it was & it sounds like you removed it? I am confused about a biopsy.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakb2 View Post
Bogie had a number of growths that looked like Kitzel's. One on his head grew and ruptured. The vet said these growths are common as dogs age but usually aren't a problem.
I think that is what Elizabeth was talking about--- sebaceous adenoma. I will be very happy if that is what it is! Kitzel only has one.

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 12-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I just heard back from Kitzel's vet (sent her a picture last night) & she has recommended "we remove it with a local anesthesia and the cautery." JoAnne is this how they did yours?
Was it sent away for a biopsy or biopsied in house? If possible can you tell me the name of Ling-Lings cancer type---I want the vet to look at the possibility it may be the same. Any further info appreciated.

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I just heard back from Kitzel's vet (sent her a picture last night) & she has recommended "we remove it with a local anesthesia and the cautery." JoAnne is this how they did yours?
Was it sent away for a biopsy or biopsied in house? If possible can you tell me the name of Ling-Lings cancer type---I want the vet to look at the possibility it may be the same. Any further info appreciated.
They sedated Ling Ling and sent out biopsy. I do not remember what it was called~will try to look up her records, ok.
Back ground on that growth. Started like a lump under skin for several months. When it started to grow outward, it was her skin color for about a month or so, and then the horn appeared. Those pictures were after a bath, when I picked off the tip but it was deep in color before the picking.
As long as they biopsy wide margins..there was no need for further treatment. If left, it would have continued to grow in size and much bigger surgery.
I hope it’s not that. If so, it’s a good time to remove before the roots of the growth continue to grow under the skin.
Hers was located on her back end, top of leg.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Joanne, it sounds all too familiar. Did you do it at your vets or a speciality hospital?

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 12-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Joanne, it sounds all too familiar. Did you do it at your vets or a speciality hospital?
I went to emergency vet because it wouldnít stop bleeding.
This is what it was

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._a_terrier_dog

But her cells came back malignant in biopsy per pathology report, which is why they cut wide margins...just in case. If they didnít, we were together referred to oncology for treatment and more surgery.
They said it was rare...maybe for our breed because there is lots of info on it.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Here is another article on what Ling had
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050395/
Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Joanne, that last (above) article was retracted (when I went to read it) for plagiarism I think.
I am still waiting for vet to call me w/a plan.

"Wag more Bark less"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement