Sugarplum’s progress - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sugarplum’s progress

Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update on Sugarplum and her adjustment to life out in the world. She is doing exceptionally well, it seems. I have read and researched puppy mill rehab, and it sounds like she is adjusting faster than average. For those of you who haven’t read my previous posts about her, I’ll give you a brief rundown: she is an estimated five year old Maltese who was saved from being euthanized after a puppy mill no longer had use for her 😡. She was spayed and otherwise physically healthy, except that she has some dental problems (and her breath stinks to high heaven). I had her examined by my veterinarian. Her hair was also heavily matted and she had big tearstains along with some discoloration to her legs, feet and mouth. But mentally healthy is a whole different story. She had been caged most of her life, she isn’t housebroken and is poorly socialized with humans. She doesn’t know how to walk on a leash, and she’s scared of outdoors and walking on grass. I adopted her on 12/17/19, and when I first brought her home, she would run in very small circles and circles; most likely the size of her cage, and when she wasn’t doing that, she would sit under an extra dining chair in the corner of my dining room. I’m pad training her, so I would have to chase her in order to put her in her pen with the pad. (And only about half the time I caught her.) So she’s made quite a few messes. A couple of times, I had caught her eating her own 💩🤢🤮 before I had the chance to clean it up; this is actually a very common issue with puppy mill dogs, but fortunately I haven’t seen her do that in at least a week.
Now, she knows her name, she can climb stairs, she explores my condo much more (but still sometimes sits under the dining room chair, that’s her safe zone or happy place) and she is pottying in her pads a LITTLE more frequently, but that I will remain an ongoing issue which will take time, lots of it. Two very significant things have occurred over the past two days: yesterday morning I very slowly approached her, speaking softly and sweetly to her and not only did she NOT run, but she also let me pet her head first! (Whenever attempting to pet her I always had to pet her back first as she hasn’t liked her face touched). But the most surprising thing occurred earlier today: my boyfriend was over, and he went outdoors to get something from his truck, leaving the condo door open but the storm door closed. When he was approaching the door, not only did she not run but her face and ears actually perked up; she was wonderIng who was coming and what was going on out there!!! And she’s also not too afraid of my boyfriend either. I’ve read that puppy mill dogs sometimes don’t warm up to men as easily as women.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna

Everything sounds like it's coming along nicely! I had also adopted a puppy mill rescue when it was raided and shut down. He was a mess, slept for the better part of the first two weeks, everything took a long time with him. I was shocked though when he figured out he needed to go out the doggie door to do his business! (it was like a light bulb went on inside his head!)
Anyway, I had him for over 11 years and he never did let anyone else touch him, but he loved me with all of his little heart .

Good luck with your little one, she'll do fine in time.

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I am so happy w/you for this progress! I do believe that "love covers a multitude of sins." You must have a special touch! Wishing you continued joy together!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement