Bile Acid Test - Page 12 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #111 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Lacy 6 & Cricket 5 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteseluv View Post
Yes, thank you for posting this information. Do not waste your money on idexx snap...Get a regular serum bile acid test (pre-prandial and post-prandial). The dog is fasted overnight for 12 hours, taken in for a blood draw. They feed the dog, then 2 hrs later take another blood draw.
As far as liver shunts and MVD goes. Most dogs who have liver shunt are diagnosed by the age of 1, but I have seen dogs much older than that be diagnosed, from 3-7 yrs old.
When they have MVD, many times, symptoms go unnoticed, so the dog may not be diagnosed until 2,3, or even much older than that...
Numbers above normal range but below 100, typically point more towards liver shunt.
Numbers above 100, typically point more towards MVD.
There are always exceptions to these "generalizations." I know of a yorkie whose numbers were under 100 and had a liver shunt, and I know several dogs, including my own, who have had number beyond 300 that have MVD.
MVD and liver shunts are usually congenital, but it is possible for a dog to have an "acquired" shunt later in life also.
About 15% of dogs who have liver shunt ligation surgery develop acquired shunts as well...
I adopted a little girl in Sept and had Bile Acid test done. Most numbers was within range. Alt was 86 reference range is 8-75......GGT 11 ref range is 0-2......Glu 185 ref range is 77-150. vet wants me to have ultrasound...Has anyone had these test?
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #112 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Lacy 6 & Cricket 5 months

I adopted a little girl in Sept and had Bile Acid test done. Most numbers was within range. Alt was 86 reference range is 8-75......GGT 11 ref range is 0-2......Glu 185 ref range is 77-150. vet wants me to have ultrasound...Has anyone had these test?
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #113 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

If she is otherwise healthy, I'd wait and retest in 4-6 weeks.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #114 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mary

What were the bile acid test results? The results you posted would have been from a blood panel and none of those results seem so remarkable as to warrant an ultrasound. Did you have a bile acid test done? A paired sample ... meaning a blood draw, feed a meal, wait 2 hours, and then a second blood draw? If you had that done you will get two results, one from each blood draw.

If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place. - Margaret Mead
MaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #115 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Hope this is okay I post this here... I know this is an ongoing post, but hasn't been responded to in a year....

In Grace's case - all the vets believe her liver issues are from her vaccine injury.

They are hoping her liver heals itself......

So does repeating the BAT in her case seem worthwhile?

We've done 2 now, waiting on her 3rd (done today)..... her 2nd was better than the 1st. But still high (need to get copies of results so I can post them).....hoping the 3rd comes back better.

In a case where the liver damage was *caused* by something like a vaccine mistake - would the BAT ever be normal?

Or is it just a waste of time and since Grace has liver issues she will always have liver issues?

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #116 (permalink)

Unfortunately, we had the same issue with our maltese. The vet believes that they are born with the liver shunt....it just inevitably gets worse with time. The good news is that I really managed to keep her heath under control with a lot of hard work, she lived to be almost 13. You must NOT feed the dog anything with any protein in it!!! The only acceptable dog food is Science Diet L/D - for Liver Disease. Absolutely no table food ever or dog treats with protein in it. We gave her crackers as a treat. You also cannot give any medications that are not absolutely necessary - they compromise the liver too. Also exposure to chemicals: lawn, cleaning, etc. adds to liver damage. You must be very viligant. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!
nycmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #117 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmermaid View Post
You must NOT feed the dog anything with any protein in it!!! The only acceptable dog food is Science Diet L/D - for Liver Disease. Absolutely no table food ever or dog treats with protein in it. We gave her crackers as a treat.
Protein is essential to all cells. You have to have protein so that their bodies can work, heal, regenerate any damage.... Protein is essential.

Protein needs limited. And the best form of protein for "liver dogs" is vegetarian. You do feed lower protein, but it is important to feed some protein otherwise the dog will go into HE (Hepatic Encephalopathy).

Grace eats a very clean and simple home cooked diet. She is given plenty of bright colorful veggies that will give her good vitamins and antioxidants. She is fed vegetarian protein (dairy, eggs, tofu, legumes). Occasionally she has a small amount of white fish. But always in a mix of the other proteins.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #118 (permalink)

Name: A.B.
Dog's Name: Rossi, Piper and Scout

Tori,

I'm curious to find out more about Gracie's vaccine injury. Can you give more info on that?

We just had Scouts BAT and the vet said her numbers are very high. Although she has no symptoms, they suspect a shunt. But she hasn't yet had any ultra sounds/MRI or CT to back up the diagnosis. All this happened recently, as she was about to be spayed and we got the pre-surgery blood results.

She got very sick after her Lepto vaccine. Is there a coincidence?
rossipiperscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement