Anesthesia - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dr.jaimie Send a message via Yahoo to dr.jaimie

[B]Anesthesia

there are different phases of anesthesia. there is a premedication, and induction medication, and a maintenance gas used for the whole procedure.

premeds goals are to relax the pet with a tranquilizer and begin pain control before the procedure is even started. they also reduce the amount of induction medications needed which may be harsher for your pet. there are a vast number of types of premeds so i will not go into detail.

induction medications allow your pet to completely relax and allow the veterinarian to intubate your pet. common medications are Ketamine/valium combination and propofol. ket/val should not be used in animals with kidney or heart problems and in animals prone to having seizures. propofol should not be used in animals with trouble breathing unless there are far worse risks with other medications.

maintenance gas anesthesia may be either isoflurane or sevoflurane. both are very safe. it was once thought that sevo was a superior gas but now it is known to be equally as safe as isoflurane. iso is cheaper and far more common. there are other gases out there but these are the two that can be trusted. my personal preference is isoflurane b/c sevo can lower the pets temperature during recovery from anesthesia and can be dangerous if the patient isnt watched carefully. but with proper care both are a good choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Jaime, thank you so much for providing all of us with this information. It gives us an opportunity of asking some very important questions prior to our dogs going under. Personally this couldn't be more timely. Both of the T's are scheduled for a dental in a couple of weeks. Thank you!

Deb, Toto & Tuffy
totallytotontuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jeanne
Dog's Name: Mariah Lyn....Skylar Sue...4/10/2002- 2/21/2011

Skylar Sue had to undergo anesthesia last month and I think I was more worried about that than I was the surgery....reading this ahead of time would have been beneficial...thank you for posting...

....Jeanne and Mariah Sugar Lyn....
gigigirlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you. Gigi is being spayed tomorrow and my Dr. was wanting to do all of the above. I agreed to all of it but was having second thoughts about some of it. Now I feel better. I was wondering if it was a money thing or really necessary. I see it is necessary to assure her fast recovery. Thank you very much!!!
Gigis_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Kutsmail1 Send a message via MSN to Kutsmail1 Send a message via Yahoo to Kutsmail1

Thanks so much for this post. Zippy is being spayed this Thursday. These are things that have changed since my days of working in a veterinary clinic. Also, I noticed that the clinic asks me if I want a pain injection to be given prior to going home. That surprises me as things like spaying almost make me hurt thinking about it!
In your experience, personal or professional, does one pain injection prior to leaving the clinic take care of that kind of pain?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for posting - this is a topic that always concerns us.
3malteseboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dr.jaimie Send a message via Yahoo to dr.jaimie

Quote:
Thanks so much for this post. Zippy is being spayed this Thursday. These are things that have changed since my days of working in a veterinary clinic. Also, I noticed that the clinic asks me if I want a pain injection to be given prior to going home. That surprises me as things like spaying almost make me hurt thinking about it!
In your experience, personal or professional, does one pain injection prior to leaving the clinic take care of that kind of pain?[/B]

we dont make it an option..and we give pain meds for 5 days after sugery
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

we dont make it an option..and we give pain meds for 5 days after sugery
[/QUOTE]

My dog is being neutered in a couple weeks, would the same pain treatment be recommended for neutering males? (5days after surgery)

Roz Porter
Biscuit's Best Friend
rozporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten

This is great information --thanks so much for helping all of us with our babies.

What about the tube size so no trachea issues? Is a cat tube best or a 2 or 3 tube -- i am just hearing these kinds of concerns in researching for my demi's dental?

Is Rymadyl safe to give as anti-inflammatory -if not what is best for them as well as pain meds?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thumbs up

what is Pentothal?? what type of info do you have on it?

Also... what are your options for anesthesia when your toy dog has an MRI??