Rosemary and seizures - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

I wanted to bring something to attention that had been brought up by another not long ago and was somewhat overlooked.
I think it was dwerten who mentioned Rosemary poisoning.
I had been caring for my older daughter's maltese, who, in the past six months had gradually been having little "spells" eventually progressing to grande mal seizures. It was horrid and the vet could find no reason, thus wanting to put her on phenobarbitol for epilepsy. I was so astounded as the dog had been perfectly healthy and now was at death's door with no energy and seizing several times a day (at the worst). When I read that article I remembered my daughter had put her on Eukanuba due to being on the go and unable to make it to the store that sells Canidae. As I recalled it was SHORTLY after that the "spells" began and escalated. I decided to check out the ingredients and sure enough there was the Rosemary. We stopped the feedings of it and within a week or so the seizures were all but gone, with another two weeks finding her seizure free. Her energy level returned and she was fine. I checked with the vet and she had not heard of Rosemary causing this, although that didn't mean it wasn't so. (I commend her for being honest). I found other articles on the net regarding the same. My guess is Rosemary may not cause it in all dogs as not all have a sensitivity to it and small dogs may need less of it to induce such symptoms. Rosemary and its extract are used as preservatives in some dog foods and snacks.
Another friend of mine recently had a maltese that had a seizure. I asked if she had given her anything new to eat. She found the new snack she was giving contained Rosemary. I believe it was Newman's. Her bloodwork came back fine, just as my daughter's dog. She threw the snacks away and the dog has not had another seizure since.
I just wanted to put this out there for reference, in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christie Knieriem
Dog's Name: Dozer

Wow, I had not heard about this. Thank you for putting this up.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Harley & Dakota

Thanks Brit - always good to know this stuff! Appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.

I'm glad your daughters little one is alright! How scary!!

Harley & Dakotas Mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Brit,

Thank you so much for making us aware of this information!

ginny & zoe & bella
Zoe and Bella's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Oh my goodness! Brit, you are absolutely right! The internet is full of information about rosemary causing seizures!

Thanks for the warning!

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: *Tammy*
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Benjamin Angelo & Marcris Sweet Dreams Emma Anjelica

Thank you Brit! These things are so important to know....and I'm so happy your daughter's pup is going to be ok!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: k/c Mom

Oh, gosh! I didn't know this. I'm so glad your daughter's Malt is OK now! I just checked my Castor & Pollux Organix food and thankfully it doesn't have Rosemary...

k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for posting your experience with rosemary, Brit. I have been very interested in this and haven't found a lot of information. The canine epilepsy site seems to indicate that the herb rosemary is promising in treating epilepsy, while the extract or oil from rosemary is the harmful ingredient. I noticed that Eukanuba contains rosemary extract.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpet...#anchor31243852

tamizami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

QUOTE (tamizami @ Nov 15 2008, 09:24 PM)
Quote:
Thanks for posting your experience with rosemary, Brit. I have been very interested in this and haven't found a lot of information. The canine epilepsy site seems to indicate that the herb rosemary is promising in treating epilepsy, while the extract or oil from rosemary is the harmful ingredient. I noticed that Eukanuba contains rosemary extract.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpet...#anchor31243852[/B]

Yes, it's the extract that's usually found in the dog foods. I should have made that more clear. However, I certainly wouldn't want to give my dog Rosemary in any form at this point. The extract was found in Eukanuba and Newman's treats.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: CeeCee (Jacob Maltese) Rain (Bonnie's Angel)

That is important information to know. I use to give my dog newman's treats but she didn't like it and I threw them away.

Are you talking about Toy? .......or do you have more than one daughter? I just fell in love with that picture of Toy looking up and into the camera. What beautiful bright eyes and such an angelic face!!!!