Separation Anxiety - can't fix - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy66 View Post
The soft sided crate sounds like a neat idea but I see this puppy jumping up and rolling it over and over like a hamster wheel, I have thought of using these to train her in as I don't see how she could hurt herself like she did before but she would hamster ball that thing all over the room.

Maddy, I will try some of that crate training you mentioned, I just have the problem that she goes crazy the second I put her in before the door gets closed. Maybe I need to get her calm before closing the door that I think about it. For that pen, do you have any issues with it falling over from then jumping against it or jumping up and leaning against it? Also how long would you leave her in there?

Thanks for all the info, these are my first Maltese dogs and having all the responsibility to take care of them, so I am learning all about them.
Again...it's all about teaching her to be confident in herself, per my trainer. Even if she's freaking out when you put her in, don't make a big deal. Remember, a minute at a time. Put her in, walk out the door and return in a minute, wait till she's calm and quiet, no eye contact, no speaking and then let her out, increasing the time every day. I moved the training along by doing it several times a day.
She really needs to trust in herself and you that you will return and she will be fine by herself. My trainer used to tell me a puppy at 10-11 months could easily stay in a crate up to 6 hours. I personally used the pen instead of the crate for that length of time.
Also consider the iris pen in place of the crate. There are absolutely no issues with the pen tipping, falling or hurting themselves. I have put all 3 of my girls in it with the 6 panels, if I had to leave and I had someone coming in to work on my house, again, never an issue. It's big enough for puppy pads, bed, toys and water.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Patricia
Dog's Name: Luna

Quote:
We used puppy pads but now we are taking those up and getting her to go outside. She is really good except for at night when we can't watch her every second. I don't know of a indoor potty system, may have to google that if you dont mean puppy pads.
No, not puppy pads. We work full time so we don't have anyone to take Luna outside during the day.

This is what we use: https://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Ba...potty+for+dogs

mylittleluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Stephen
Dog's Name: Annabelle and Stella

I will try it out this week and report back. I hope to see some change in her.

Maybe a bit off topic but how can I get her to tell me its time to go out? I have been giving her treats when she goes outside but she never shows any sign of needing to go out, she just goes. Its like she does not understand that going outside and peeing gets a treat even when we do it every day. If she can tell us, we would not need to crate her.
fuzzy66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Maybe a bit off topic but how can I get her to tell me its time to go out? I have been giving her treats when she goes outside but she never shows any sign of needing to go out, she just goes. Its like she does not understand that going outside and peeing gets a treat even when we do it every day. If she can tell us, we would not need to crate her.
I think the others here may have a good advice for that... I'm like your girlfriend, I spoiled Luna too much.

But in her case, she doesn't bark, but she sits in front of the door until I notice she wants to go out.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Emilie
Dog's Name: Sandwiches (RIP) and Showbiz

Re: training her to tell you she needs to go - most puppies will have a tell. If you watch her like a hawk you can see her demeanor change - maybe she starts circling, sniffing, looks up to the side in a weird way, something different. It can be very subtle. But right then, before she pees, is when you grab her and run her outside/put her on the pee pad. It happens very fast.

We originally pad trained our dog, and later changed to taking him outside. Mostly the training was just about taking him out - a lot. We live in a city and the curb smells are powerful - he knew exactly where to go immediately, the first time. We gave him a ton of praise and treats, and at the same time stopped treating for the "business" done inside on the pad. But we did always keep a pad folded up under the bookcase near our door, just in case the weather was too bad to go out. He already knew what the pad was for and would go over to it and paw at it, or fuss at us and then look at it. That's how we knew he wanted to go potty, and could then quickly take him out. (Although sometimes he would also just do this for treats, when he didn't really have to go.)

If you get your training with the crate to a good place and are ready to train her for something else, you can train a dog to ring a bell by the door to go outside (just google it - it's not something I've done). It would be similar to our pad-by-the-door thing, but easier to hear.
Emilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lainie
Dog's Name: Whisper (Whispy)

Since we travel a lot, I have Whisper trained for going outside and for using wee-wee pads inside. I have a folding dog play pen similar to this one on Amazon -- Parkland Pet Portable Foldable Playpen Exercise Kennel Dogs Cats Indoor/outdoor Removable Mesh Shade Cover. I leave it open and put a wee-wee pad inside.

This folds flat and I can fit it into my luggage. Then at a hotel or visiting someone's home, I just quickly open it up and Whisper knows he can use it. We've been having days of heavy rains and winds. I admit, I've been happy to have him use the wee-wee pad system rather than my walking him outside.

Whisper is was a rescue. Dumped when he was a couple of weeks old so he spent a great deal of time crated in vet's hospital since he was very sick at first. Then the foster mom got him used to the play yard. That said he really didn't want to stay in the crate at night when I first got him. But I put the crate beside my bed and laid my hand on it so he could smell me close by. That said, it didn't take long before we let him sleep with us, which he obviously prefers. We have a hassock at the foot of our bed so he can jump up and down onto the bed using it. If he has to go potty during the night, he jumps off and goes to the play area in the next room that has a wee-wee pad. He pretty much went during the night till he was about 18 months.

I'd suggest keeping you hand near him when he is in the crate. Though if he has severe separation anxiety that still might not work. So sorry.

Lainie
Happinesstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have some good news, we got the play pen that Maddy mentioned and started using that as a "crate" at night on Friday. She whined for about an hour and stopped, we did the ol, cry your self to sleep method. She did that a few times that night and again the next few nights but on Monday, I left her in there while we went to work instead of the bathroom and she was relaxed all day in there. She is use to us going to work, even being in a new place she settled down. That night she did not make a sound! It was like heaven. Not a noise from her till about 5:30 in the morning and she had to go. She was going crazy, barking, jumping, scratching, whining but at least she let us know that she had to go and did not go in the "crate".

We are going to keep this up for a few months, it just stinks she lives 80% of her day in that play plen when we are at work and at night but at least she has room to move around in.

It does not fix the separation anxiety but at least she seems to be getting use to this arrangement and maybe in a few years she will grow out of it or I just jinxed my self and tonight we are back to square one!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:

We are going to keep this up for a few months, it just stinks she lives 80% of her day in that play plen when we are at work and at night but at least she has room to move around in.
That is good. Hopefully, she'll get better and you will be able to roam free when you go to work. At first, we only let Luna in a small area, and when she managed that, we gave her free roam of the house.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

I might of been right and spoken too soon. Last night she woke up and whined at 4am, took her out and she went but would not go back to sleep. She was awake and kept whining, scratching, barking trying to get out. We eventually caved and let her out in hopes she would go to sleep.. but nope, she wanted to get into bed and we ignored her. It did not work. for over an hour she wanted to get in by whining.

It seems its not a perfect fix and will need more work.

Any thoughts on getting her to hold it through the night? Barking and whining to let us know she has to pee/poo is good I don't want to discourage it but I know she can hold it a few more hours. She goes over 8 when we are gone to work and has not had a issue in over a month.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ginny
Dog's Name: Ty,Zoey,Cosette and Sophie (at the Rainbow Bridge)

Have you tried treat stuffed Kong’s? Stuff a small Kong with her favorite treat, let her sniff it, put it in the crate. Let her go into to get the marvelous toy. Leave the door open as she enjoys the treat. After a few successful tries, close the door for longer periods. Always leave a treat stuffed Kong’s in her crate when you leave her. She will learn that the crate is a fun place.