Unwanted barking, does it really work? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
We never have him off a leash outside so we can't say. He does aggressively growl sometimes when he sees people outside.

Thanks,
I have the same exact thing going on here with Rocky. I need to sign him up for obedience classes right away. My neighbors probably don't like him now. =0(

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Leila (of Sands Maltese)
Send a message via Skype™ to pinkpixie1588

Dianne, I'm not sure what sorts of facilities are around you for training, but I go to this place where they had puppy classes for Leila. The trainer taught loose leash walking, positive greeting behaviors, and other puppy manners basics (which it sounds like Rocky needs). If you can find a nice, calm puppy class like the one we took (NOT the sort where the dogs run wild the whole time), I would definitely consider that over an obedience class, to start. I think the obedience class would probably focus more on commands, which are all well and good but if you don't even have the basics down, that's going to be the most important place to start. Just my 2 cents

pinkpixie1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Puppy classes should be for puppies under 16 weeks of age. After that a basic obedience class is more appropriate.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyMc65 View Post
I would recommend finding a local trainer that uses positive reinforcement and start working on this asap. You can find some qualified trainers at APDT or CCPDT.

Saying "no" and tugging on his leash is not going to help at all. That will only make him that much more reactive. You will need to do some behavior modification and teach him the RIGHT thing to do. The best way to learn how to do this and do it effectively is to have a trainer work with you and your dog.
Thanks, I checked out APDT and got two trainers calling me that are so close by! They even come to the house. I have to see what they charge. Do you know the average rates? I don't have any idea.

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

Thank you!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Rates vary by where you live. If you get a couple rates and they are similar, its a good bet they are within the norm for your area.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Julee
Dog's Name: Poppy, Taz & Cita (a white shepherd mix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Rates vary by where you live. If you get a couple rates and they are similar, its a good bet they are within the norm for your area.
JMM, if you call local trainers that come to your house, what questions should you ask them?

HUGz! Jules

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Cheryl Zuccaro
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
JMM, if you call local trainers that come to your house, what questions should you ask them?

HUGz! Jules
How to Choose a Dog Trainer

When someone contacts me, one thing that shows me the owners are serious is their inquiries about the type of cases I see, how I treat them, and if they can talk to my clients. When I taught group classes people were always invited to watch. I haven't done group classes in a while so I find inviting someone to watch me train one of my dogs in a class is another good way to demonstrate my methods and expertise. I think "openness" is important in selecting a trainer.
The people who ask price and how long this will take first tend to be the people I will end up wasting my time with. Personally, I'd rather not waste my time than get paid to be frustrated.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #29 (permalink)

My problem is that Fred is NOT a barker--instead, when I walk him and he sees another dog, he wants to go over and starts this horrific whine, kind of crying--it sounds like he is hurt--he will pull on his harness and keep this noise up--I just quietly say no, and keep on walking--but he will not calm down until I am past the other dog or person. He does not appear to be frightened--just keeps this noise up until I go over to the other dog--(which I rarely do-as the other dog is put off by the noise and I am afraid of the other dog biting him )He is not nervous in his "space" or with anyone who comes over. I have hesitated taking him to our nice park where there is a walking path because of this. When he sees another PERSON, after he gets to them he will want to be loved and is not aggressive at all. Jackie--any advice?
fredsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsmama View Post
My problem is that Fred is NOT a barker--instead, when I walk him and he sees another dog, he wants to go over and starts this horrific whine, kind of crying--it sounds like he is hurt--he will pull on his harness and keep this noise up--I just quietly say no, and keep on walking--but he will not calm down until I am past the other dog or person. He does not appear to be frightened--just keeps this noise up until I go over to the other dog--(which I rarely do-as the other dog is put off by the noise and I am afraid of the other dog biting him )He is not nervous in his "space" or with anyone who comes over. I have hesitated taking him to our nice park where there is a walking path because of this. When he sees another PERSON, after he gets to them he will want to be loved and is not aggressive at all. Jackie--any advice?
Its hard to say without seeing him. The whine could be anxiety in general, appeasement to the other dog (I'm excited to see you but I promise I'm the submissive one), or simply excitement. His body language would reveal the answer and your plan of attack highly depends on the reason behind his behavior. You deal with excitement much differently than you do a dog with puppy-ish social skills.
Has he ever been off leash with other dogs? If so how does he react?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement