Korean Dog Meat Trade Rescue needs Surgery - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Sue, maybe I am not the only one wondering why AMA is reaching out to Korea to save pups? I am not opposed to it---more curious when we have so many pups stateside that need medical care? How did all of this start?

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviannah's Mom View Post
I donated! What a doll she is, thank you Susan for always helping spread the word!
Thank you so much, Denise. Yes she is just the sweetest thing. Surgery is coming up on Saturday. So glad to see people rallying around her.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Sue, maybe I am not the only one wondering why AMA is reaching out to Korea to save pups? I am not opposed to it---more curious when we have so many pups stateside that need medical care? How did all of this start?
Sue can answer for AMAR but Northcentral has taken a number of dogs from Korea as well; ours have come from a person in South Korea who rescues the dogs there and then reaches out to stateside rescues to get the dogs out of the country and to safety. If these dogs remain in South Korea they will most likely be killed in the slaughter houses.

I can’t speak for AMAR but I know that Mary Palmer from NMR never turns down a fluff in need, regardless of the circumstances.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Marie - I agree. Just heartbreaking and there are some links or stories I just can't open because I can't bear to see or read about it. Too much to bear but we do what we can to help in rescue.
We are using Giving Grid (that's the link I gave in my post and clicking on that takes people to that site) which is the same sort of thing as GoFundMe but even better they are a crowd sourcing organization that has embraced getting help for animals and in particular urgent care for them. They've been wonderful to work with...I beta tested a campaign with them this past year and actually dealt with the head of the company who was terrific and when I was doing Candi's campaign I reached out to him and got an immediate response. The good news is that we're only about $1500 away from our goal through that campaign, and it started yesterday morning.
So great minds think alike. You are always so wonderful to pets and people in need.

I even find the title of this post sickening, the words "K-D-M" and I just skimmed over the words, but I decided to re-read the title and opened it, I got brave. I will donate Sue, what a sweet little doll. I hope all goes well and she has a wonderful new home with all the tlc she deserves.

I just cannot read stuff on animals being harmed. I just feel I can only take so much, and even less lately, probably because of losing Dad and such a difficult year with taking care of mom and dad and siblings not getting along or just in small doses.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
Sue can answer for AMAR but Northcentral has taken a number of dogs from Korea as well; ours have come from a person in South Korea who rescues the dogs there and then reaches out to stateside rescues to get the dogs out of the country and to safety. If these dogs remain in South Korea they will most likely be killed in the slaughter houses.

I canít speak for AMAR but I know that Mary Palmer from NMR never turns down a fluff in need, regardless of the circumstances.
Sandi -- same for us as for NCMR. We started last year when we were contacted about two Maltese in S. Korea who were saved by a rescue there from the dog meat market. Our coordinator Peggy in VA is the one who was contacted (she never met a dog she didn't want to help) and the dogs were coming into Dulles Airport. To just think about these sweet dogs being used this way pulled on our heart strings and we took them in. They are so loving and sweet. I think we've taken in 9 in the past year. As Maggie said, when you're in rescue it's very hard to knowingly send a dog to it's death, so we do what we can for Maltese in need wherever they are. Just because they're not in America doesn't mean they don't deserve to live. There are many rescues in the states who step up to help US dogs...the ACC in NY went from a huge kill rate to a 93% save rate with many rescue organizations contacted and taking dogs. Our big problem is having enough people to foster and if someone wants to foster a dog from Korea, that's just fine with us. We love them all.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglily View Post
I even find the title of this post sickening, the words "K-D-M" and I just skimmed over the words, but I decided to re-read the title and opened it, I got brave. I will donate Sue, what a sweet little doll. I hope all goes well and she has a wonderful new home with all the tlc she deserves.

I just cannot read stuff on animals being harmed. I just feel I can only take so much, and even less lately, probably because of losing Dad and such a difficult year with taking care of mom and dad and siblings not getting along or just in small doses.
Brenda - I feel the same way. There have been and are so many posts I can't read or photos I can't look at. But on the other hand, people have to know about things to be part of the change to make a difference. So sometimes I just make myself face things in hopes that someday what we're showing won't take place and need to be shown. Our mission in rescue is to save dogs lives and we don't care about geography. We just want them safe and able to be loved like our dogs are. Thank you for donating.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

As I said Sue, I am not opposed to these rescues---just curious about how it was initiated! Having lived in numerous countries I would have loved to have saved many pups, but had no idea about how to do that---so am interested from that standpoint.
I want to save them all---big, little, hairy, furry---but like others I can't look at some of the ads---if I do, I can't sleep & because I don't sleep well anyway, it is an issue I have to confront by not looking. I know all too well how awful some pups live. I would LOVE to foster but my two are not keen on even "babysitting" other pups---most especially Kitzel. I hope one day to be able to do that, but we don't have any rescues coming our way thusfar so it is ok. When the time is right we will be at the front of the line.

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post

I can’t speak for AMAR but I know that Mary Palmer from NMR never turns down a fluff in need, regardless of the circumstances.
Maggie, can you please post the NCMR donation link?

Last edited by Snowball Pie's Mommi; 03-01-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Brenda - I feel the same way. There have been and are so many posts I can't read or photos I can't look at. But on the other hand, people have to know about things to be part of the change to make a difference. So sometimes I just make myself face things in hopes that someday what we're showing won't take place and need to be shown. Our mission in rescue is to save dogs lives and we don't care about geography. We just want them safe and able to be loved like our dogs are. Thank you for donating.
I understand Sue, and that's why I'm glad I decided to open the post and read. And it was not all bad, in fact it was more than good that this pup was rescued and saved. I know sometimes I will make myself do this and sometimes not, it will just depend on the moment I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Maggie, can you please post the NCMR donation link?
Gladly!

https://malteserescue.homestead.com/DonationOnline.html
Advertisement