Korean Dog Meat Trade Rescue needs Surgery - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler
Default Korean Dog Meat Trade Rescue needs Surgery

I know how big a heart everyone here has for Maltese. Well this one pulled at my heartstrings. Candi was rescued from a South Korean Dog Meat farm a few weeks ago.Yes they use these small dogs to makes soups or elixirs. A local rescue got her and flew her to DC where American Maltese Association Rescue picked her and another Maltese up. She's estimated to be between 2 and 3 years old. Our foster mom took her to the vet who listened to her heart and sent her to a cardiologist. Candi has a PDA, a congenital heart defect that will kill her if she doesn't get lifesaving surgery. She's scheduled for this surgery on Saturday. We're trying to raise the funds for her and we have another dog who has come to us (completely unrelated) who may also have the same heart issue. We're hoping people will consider donating to these medical bills which are rather staggering. No amount is too little; whatever you can spare is appreciated. Here's a link to all the info about her as well as videos of this dear girl. https://www.givinggrid.com/wscbej/
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Dog Meat Trade Rescue needs Surgery-fullsizeoutput_3394.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey

Donated! Thank you, Sue.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
Donated! Thank you, Sue.
Thank you so much, Elisabeth. We spend so much money on spoiling our sweethearts that I hoped SM friends can spare a little for Candi. She's such a pistol.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey

She is too cute for words! Loved her video clips.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

She is adorable. The dog meat trade needs to be shut down. Cultural relativism only goes so far in the 21st century. The bile bear trade needs to be shut down. Parks exploitation of whales and dolphins needs to be shut down. There was a story of a couple who got a pot belly pig from a rescue as a pet, but decided to slaughter and eat it because it was too much work. Our whole relationship with our fellow animals needs to reevaluted.
wkomorow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
She is adorable. The dog meat trade needs to be shut down. Cultural relativism only goes so far in the 21st century. The bile bear trade needs to be shut down. Parks exploitation of whales and dolphins needs to be shut down. There was a story of a couple who got a pot belly pig from a rescue as a pet, but decided to slaughter and eat it because it was too much work. Our whole relationship with our fellow animals needs to reevaluted.
It's just really sick especially the way the torture the animals to make them tender. The younger generation in South Korea is not the one eating dogs. It's the older generation and their perpetuation of myths about animals being slaughtered to give themselves certain properties that is the core of the problem. Luckily a humane type of organization in S Korea is approaching the farmers and helping them shut down the dog trade and instead helping them start other types of farms on their property growing certain crops, mushrooms, etc so they have that economic sustainability. Proud of the Olympians like Gus bringing this to people's attention.But yes this world has a very long way to go in treating animals of all sorts humanely.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Sadly, it's no secret that even in the United States, cats are killed for food consumption, too. I love Chinese fried rice ... but, after learning how wide spread the problem has been with people thinking they are ordering chicken dishes, but, instead are eating something else ... I no longer order fried rice with meat or poultry. It's sickening to think there are some restaurants that still do this ... until they get caught and are shut down. I still love Chinese fried rice ...but, even though I trust the restaurants I patronize ... I now just stick to vegetable fried rice.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
It's just really sick especially the way the torture the animals to make them tender. The younger generation in South Korea is not the one eating dogs. It's the older generation and their perpetuation of myths about animals being slaughtered to give themselves certain properties that is the core of the problem. Luckily a humane type of organization in S Korea is approaching the farmers and helping them shut down the dog trade and instead helping them start other types of farms on their property growing certain crops, mushrooms, etc so they have that economic sustainability. Proud of the Olympians like Gus bringing this to people's attention.But yes this world has a very long way to go in treating animals of all sorts humanely.
Sue, Candi is adorable.

The torture done to so many innocent animals is sickening. I can no longer look at the pictures of tortured animals on Facebook. I know I am not alone feeling this way. Many of us have asked not to post these kind of pictures on our FB pages. It is not that I don't care. I do look at the pictures of shelter dogs needing homes ... but, to me that is different. I did have to delete another picture last night of a shelter that had a picture of euthanized dogs. It is just too overwhelming to see every day.

Sue, I know Spoiled Maltese has always been generous with donations. But, with the never-ending need for these precious fur babies that need help and medical attention ... I am wondering if AMAR reaches out to GoFund, too. Just thinking of what other avenues there might be to help AMAR even more with much needed funds for rescues. You know I am happy to help whenever I can.

Prayers that Candi's surgery is successful. And, once again, thank you, Sue, for all you do.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Sue, Candi is adorable.

The torture done to so many innocent animals is sickening. I can no longer look at the pictures of tortured animals on Facebook. I know I am not alone feeling this way. Many of us have asked not to post these kind of pictures on our FB pages. It is not that I don't care. I do look at the pictures of shelter dogs needing homes ... but, to me that is different. I did have to delete another picture last night of a shelter that had a picture of euthanized dogs. It is just too overwhelming to see every day.

Sue, I know Spoiled Maltese has always been generous with donations. But, with the never-ending need for these precious fur babies that need help and medical attention ... I am wondering if AMAR reaches out to GoFund, too. Just thinking of what other avenues there might be to help AMAR even more with much needed funds for rescues. You know I am happy to help whenever I can.

Prayers that Candi's surgery is successful. And, once again, thank you, Sue, for all you do.
Marie - I agree. Just heartbreaking and there are some links or stories I just can't open because I can't bear to see or read about it. Too much to bear but we do what we can to help in rescue.
We are using Giving Grid (that's the link I gave in my post and clicking on that takes people to that site) which is the same sort of thing as GoFundMe but even better they are a crowd sourcing organization that has embraced getting help for animals and in particular urgent care for them. They've been wonderful to work with...I beta tested a campaign with them this past year and actually dealt with the head of the company who was terrific and when I was doing Candi's campaign I reached out to him and got an immediate response. The good news is that we're only about $1500 away from our goal through that campaign, and it started yesterday morning.
So great minds think alike. You are always so wonderful to pets and people in need.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Aviannah - We call her Avi or Avia

I donated! What a doll she is, thank you Susan for always helping spread the word!
Aviannah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement