Tips for the first week with a puppy? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ainsley
Dog's Name: Chiffon
Question Tips for the first week with a puppy?

Hi guys!

I'm picking up my girl tonight, I can't wait!! She was born on August 27th, so she's a little over 4 months old! I was wondering if you guys had some advice or do's and don't's for having a new puppy in the home? Anything you wish you would've known or done when you first got your little fluffs?

Thanks everyone!
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I can't wait for details! Where will you collect her? Has she been in the US for a while to acclimate?
We post-poned getting our Lisi for a month or two as Kitzi had double patella surgery at the same time we were supposed to get her the first time. Our breeder took very good care of her. I wish I had not done those both at once! I also wish I had more sleep before she came. She was a hand-full to say the least---an adorable hand full but still a handful!
I am sure you are overly prepared. Just relax & enjoy her. Post lots of pictures too!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the advice, Sandi! Aww omg I bet having to wait for the surgery was stressful.

She's been in the US with the breeder in Florida for about 2 weeks so that's good! It won't be too much of a time change for her. I'm picking her up at the airport, she flew here with a vet technician so I'm sure they're taking good care of her! Thankfully, I only live about 5 minutes from the airport so it will be a quick and easy car ride for her.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Be prepared to be tired!!!!!!! Puppies will wake you up overnight to go to the bathroom and because they're adjusting to a new home and during the day when they're awake they're like "little energizer bunnies"...Ö...they keep going and going and going!!!!!!
I bet you don't sleep much tonight from excitement. Have fun with her and I can't wait to hear all about her.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Haha thanks for the heads up, Kathy! I'm sure I'll definitely need some coffee or tea in the morning to keep up with her! I can't wait to see what her personality is like. She seems very calm and gentle and sweet in the videos I've seen of her, but she def seems to still have that lively puppy energy and seems very curious!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Wilson and Cooper (and Lady Bella at the bridge)

Such an exciting time! My boys were just a tad older when I got them and we got them about a month apart. The first night Wilson howled and it tore my heart apart. It was a sad I miss my family kinda howl. He was in an open crate adjacent to my bed and the bathroom (so he was right beside me) but still not close enough. Truth be told I wish I’d snuggled with him all night to make it easier for him, but yeah, I’m that Mom lol! Other than that, being more consistent with a potty training and feeding schedule right from the start would have helped things a lot. Your pup will guide you, so don’t worry. Can’t wait to hear more!
thesummergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, Summer! Aww the howling, I bet that was so heartbreaking! My old roomie's yorkie boy would do that when she would leave, he still has separation anxiety!

So far, things are going great! Since she's so tiny, I was worried I would be getting a lethargic sick puppy, but she seems to be just the opposite! She's very peppy and playful but also super sweet and cuddly! She's done great with potty training so far, I only have one pad in a tray in her playpen and we've had no accidents so far!

Right now, the biggest thing I'm struggling with is her fur! Lol it's super soft and fluffy and she doesn't seem to have a problem with her body being brushed, but as soon as I get around her face she gets super wiggly. So right now she's got major bedhead going on lol. Any advice on how to get her to stay still so I can get her fur in a ponytail?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Glad to see that things are going so well for you and your little Baby Malt!! And I am sure that we are all anxious to see some pictures. Hope that you will be able to get some rest today after all of the excitement of picking her up and finally getting her home.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Glad it’s going well so far. Post some pics soon! And what did you name her?
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Such a cute pix in your avatar! Congrats!
She will get used to daily grooming as the weeks go on...it takes time for sure.
Will you be training her to go outside to potty or using pads? I have my 3 bell trained but I have one who is limited on going out because she likes to eat poop. That said, if indoor training, I would look into the piddle place potty system. Absolutely no smell, their feet donít stay wet like with the pads.
Would love to see more pix and again...congratulations 💐
Advertisement