Canine Cabin Fever - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl
Default Canine Cabin Fever

We have had an unusually warm winter---but foggy, dark, rainy & just plain dull. I have been feeling a bit of cabin fever myself, so wondered if dogs are prone to this as well when I came across this article:

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2010/03...e-cabin-fever/

I won't be able to travel for a while so please list any ideas you have for getting out w/the dogs during coyote season, bad weather, physical limitations or other inhibitions.
I will start!
1. Take a trip w/the pups to Home Depot to look at spring flowers, or to Pet Smart just to push them around in a cart so they can bark at anything that moves!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Looking at Spring Flowers would by my suggestion Sandi. However, that is pretty early for them to be showing already at the store??? Don't think that there are any at ours yet, and since it is snowing, I am not about to take a ride to find out. Do you have any hobbies or like to read??
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh I have plenty to do, but the pups don't read or have hobbies, and they are the ones that need ideas!

"Wag more Bark less"

Old 01-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

Spring flowers? We are expecting 8+ inches of snow today. It was below 0 yesterday. Casper likes visiting neighbors. Our Home Depot do not allow dogs. I am thinking of taking him to work one day a week. I got permission for him to be in the office, but I have some things I need to put in place before I would bring him. We are thinking of doing a CGC class in the Spring. I wanted to do it in the Fall, but the instructor suggested that would be too soon. Now that I know better his behavior and he is housebroken to peepads, we can do more things. i love visiting neighbors because it gives him a chance to get out.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Casper (KR/AM Ch Great Master of Angela White KR) and (Forever in my heart) Lucky

Sandi have you tried TV nature shows to see if they are interested?
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Oh I wish I could go look at spring flowers. We are having a big snowstorm today. We're supposed to get over 30 cm of snow and it's blowing around like crazy.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I just came back from pushing them both in the doggie stroller for about a mile! I let Kitzi walk the last block so he could do business. It did them good even though the wind was a bit sharp. It would have been more comfortable for me to go to the REC center where we are members, but then I would have to leave the pups at home.
Yes, my flowers have been coming up for a while now, although we keep getting a few freezes in between. The next few nights will be cold. We have had one of the warmest overall winter seasons on record---just dull & gray (we call it "Wiener Wetter.") Too bad I am not more of a shopper as dogs can go in lots of stores here including Home Depot, Lowes, T J Max, Kohls, any pet stores, Tuesday Mornings & on the patio of most places where one would eat out (usually it is too hot for them there). Austin area is generally fairly pet friendly, but certainly not like Europe.
To all of you who are getting cold weather & snow, my condolences! I am starting to think about planting radishes soon! I bought some seeds called "French Dressing" & they look just like the ones we had last May in SW France--- milder than the US version.

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

Sandi we have at least 12 + inches of snow with more to come, very cold here
Lorin and I try and take the girls out a couple times a week, we take them to Ross, TJMAXX, we take them to Kohls, PetCo and our pet boutique
It's important they get out to meet people they get depressed if they don't interact with people

We try and take them out around 10ish so we are home by 1
Geneva loves the stroller, Maddie wants to be carried by daddy, Lorin and I love meeting people and we love watching our girls bring smiles to others, we believe it's a ministry for us
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

You're talking about gardens and I'm looking out my window this morning and we got close to 3 feet of snow in the past 24 hours! The snowbanks at the side of the road are as tall as I am.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paulann
Dog's Name: Abella (6 yrs old)

Cabin Fever here too.......Had to get out!

Trail walking with the grandkids - Beautiful weekend in Northern Calif. The kids helped push Abella in her buggy. No snow in sight - only blue skies, sun & a few cows!

Spring flowers coming soon?
Attached Thumbnails
Canine Cabin Fever-img_0151.jpg