Food we use - new thread - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna

Kibble: After so many recalls, I've recently switched to Fromm's grain free, I have it in two different flavors. The kibble is tiny and they like it...Fromm is a family owned business and it's made in this country in their own factory. ....so I'm hoping we're safe.

Wet food: I am now feeding Dr. Harvey's grain free Oracle. They don't like it as much as the one that you add your own protein to.....but heck, they will in time...if I can afford to keep it up, that is. That stuff is EXPENSIVE!! I just bit the bullet and ordered a 6 lb bag....with shipping it was $117.00. You just add hot water to hydrate, then feed.

I was feeding Archie raw, but I keep forgetting to take it out of the freezer the night before. While he was on it, I did notice a difference in his energy level. It was agreeing with him. We may go back to that, but I really need to settle on foods that I can afford!

for me...well I had cheese and crackers for dinner last night

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose & Lily, Teddy & Eva are (At Rainbow Bridge)

Rose is doing well on Fromm FourStar, the whitefish formula, Eva is doing very well on a homemade liver-friendly diet, and Lily is back on the canned NB venison and sweet potato...I did have her on Pioneer Naturals, but it worsened her allergies ...I am back to looking for a better food for Lily..Pioneer Naturals is a really good food and Lily gained weight on it, but she can't have grains, eggs, dairy, chicken, soy, or beef...so that doesn't leave much..I'm not cooking for all of them, but it would be so nice if at least two of them could eat the same thing..
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
Rose is doing well on Fromm FourStar, the whitefish formula, Eva is doing very well on a homemade liver-friendly diet, and Lily is back on the canned NB venison and sweet potato...I did have her on Pioneer Naturals, but it worsened her allergies ...I am back to looking for a better food for Lily..Pioneer Naturals is a really good food and Lily gained weight on it, but she can't have grains, eggs, dairy, chicken, soy, or beef...so that doesn't leave much..I'm not cooking for all of them, but it would be so nice if at least two of them could eat the same thing..
You poor thing! I feel for for you April, your such a good Mom.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Chrissy and Snuggles eat Fromm Whitefish variety and love it. I have been very fortunate that no matter what I have fed them in the past, they would eat it without any problems.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin), & the original...Zoe in heaven

For all of those feeding kibble, just remember there is a direct correlation of the lack of moisture in dry kibble with UTI's, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, Struvite Crystals and stones. If you prefer to feed a kibble, then maybe think about soaking it in warm water. And it is a myth put out by Milk Bone years and years ago that they need something crunchy for their teeth. For those looking into things to clean the teeth, just be sure to check ingredients. These are the ingredients to CET toothpaste:

C.E.T. Toothpaste: Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

As compared to PetzLife Gel: (you have to scroll way down to see the ingredients)

Peppermint Oral Care Gel | PetzLife Oral Care, Dog Dental Care | PetzLife

And PetzLife has less grain alcohol in it than Leba III and is a much better price.

As for CET chews....for the life of me why vets recommend it is beyond me since it's a rawhide!

For food, just remember that when using some of the really good sites that do reviews and recommendations, often the higher ratings go to the higher protein foods, which we all know isn't what most of our fluffs do the best on. So don't be afraid of the 4 star over the 5 star foods, depending on the reasons they are 4 star over 5 of course.

Here's what mine have been on for over 5 years now. I believe in rotating so we don't build up an allergy to certain foods. Plus we get different things from beef as we do from fish as we do from lamb, etc.... So do our fluffs. And by rotating you increase the odds of truly giving a complete and balanced diet. Say the bag of food you always feed is AAFCO compliant, but on the high end of the compliant range of calcium for example. Over time it can bring your dogs phosphorous level down to where it may fall out of the WNL's range. So by switching it up, the odds are another food may be on the lower end of calcium. Plus different foods have different things in them that are good for them. Just be sure to try and keep the protein and fat percentages within a few percents of each other so you don't have tummy upsets. Also by rotating you are really helping to build a really strong digestive tract. Mine can now jump from an 18% protein food up to a 30% with no issues. And I don't have to worry when someone gives them a treat they aren't used to about them getting upset tummies. But this took time to build up really strong GI systems.

Mine rotate through 6 grain free formulas of Addiction Dehydrated Raw. (Which isn't truly raw since it's been dehydrated. Freeze dried is another story.) So they get Steakhouse Beef & Zucchini, Country Chicken & Apricot, Herbed Lamb & Potato, Figlicious Venison Feast, Outback Kangaroo Feast and Perfect Summer Brushtail. All of those are between 18% - 21% protein (which is even fine for a kidney diet) and are single source proteins with just a handful of ingredients. Great for when you have a fluff that develops an allergy or a food intolerance as it will help to narrow it down. But they aren't by any means a LID. When feeding the Addiction, one meal a day I also add 1/4 patty of Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw (also single source protein foods) to both Jett & Callie's food (Jett is 5 1/2 lbs and Callie is 4 lbs) and Zoe gets 1/2 a patty (she is 9 lbs). Then I also throw into the rotation The Honest Kitchen (also dehydrated so not truly raw) Thrive (Turkey) and Embark (Yes it's another chicken and they already have a chicken food with Addiction. But it has quinoa in it that I like them to have on occasion.) And we also rotate in some of Grandma Lucy's Pureformance (I prefer the chickpeas over white potatoes-Artisan) the Goat and Rabbit formulas. All of these you rehydrate with warm water.

For treats we do Bravo Training Treats and Bonus Bites and Dehydrated strips (like jerky). All free range, no antibiotics or hormones, meat. That's it. No fillers, preservatives, colors, etc... We also do a lot of CocoTherapy's Veggie and Fruit Crunch and their 5 star training treats. Love Dr. Harvey's Sweet Potato Fries!! We do those for bedtime snacks. I never have to worry about them possibly choking on a fry vs. a whole sweet potato chew.

Supplements: We do daily plant based & dairy free Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes, Fish Oil, Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, and for a super antioxidant Bixbi's Immunity Blend. It's a blend of mushrooms. I mix that all up in one of their meals.

Chews: Merrick Corporal Caps, Bravo Dry Roasted Tracheas & Churpi Chews (in limited quantities due to the salt).

For me? Well...I'm kind of like Pat. If I took care of me like I do my fluffs, I'd be Cindy Crawford gorgeous!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rin
Maltese Guru

Name: Corrine Sommer
Dog's Name: LaCie

Speaking of coupons for good pet food, I have had some luck with contacting the pet food makers via there websites and if you include yor mailing address they will send you some coupons.

Please move this if not right for this thread, sorry.

Last edited by Rin; 05-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Pickles and Snickers

We do daily plant based & dairy free Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes

Is there a certain brand???
Pickles' Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin), & the original...Zoe in heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
For all of those feeding kibble, just remember there is a direct correlation of the lack of moisture in dry kibble with UTI's, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, Struvite Crystals and stones. If you prefer to feed a kibble, then maybe think about soaking it in warm water. And it is a myth put out by Milk Bone years and years ago that they need something crunchy for their teeth. For those looking into things to clean the teeth, just be sure to check ingredients. These are the ingredients to CET toothpaste:

C.E.T. Toothpaste: Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

As compared to PetzLife Gel: (you have to scroll way down to see the ingredients)

Peppermint Oral Care Gel | PetzLife Oral Care, Dog Dental Care | PetzLife

And PetzLife has less grain alcohol in it than Leba III and is a much better price.

As for CET chews....for the life of me why vets recommend it is beyond me since it's a rawhide!

For food, just remember that when using some of the really good sites that do reviews and recommendations, often the higher ratings go to the higher protein foods, which we all know isn't what most of our fluffs do the best on. So don't be afraid of the 4 star over the 5 star foods, depending on the reasons they are 4 star over 5 of course.

Here's what mine have been on for over 5 years now. I believe in rotating so we don't build up an allergy to certain foods. Plus we get different things from beef as we do from fish as we do from lamb, etc.... So do our fluffs. And by rotating you increase the odds of truly giving a complete and balanced diet. Say the bag of food you always feed is AAFCO compliant, but on the high end of the compliant range of calcium for example. Over time it can bring your dogs phosphorous level down to where it may fall out of the WNL's range. So by switching it up, the odds are another food may be on the lower end of calcium. Plus different foods have different things in them that are good for them. Just be sure to try and keep the protein and fat percentages within a few percents of each other so you don't have tummy upsets. Also by rotating you are really helping to build a really strong digestive tract. Mine can now jump from an 18% protein food up to a 30% with no issues. And I don't have to worry when someone gives them a treat they aren't used to about them getting upset tummies. But this took time to build up really strong GI systems.

Mine rotate through 6 grain free formulas of Addiction Dehydrated Raw. (Which isn't truly raw since it's been dehydrated. Freeze dried is another story.) So they get Steakhouse Beef & Zucchini, Country Chicken & Apricot, Herbed Lamb & Potato, Figlicious Venison Feast, Outback Kangaroo Feast and Perfect Summer Brushtail. All of those are between 18% - 21% protein (which is even fine for a kidney diet) and are single source proteins with just a handful of ingredients. Great for when you have a fluff that develops an allergy or a food intolerance as it will help to narrow it down. But they aren't by any means a LID. When feeding the Addiction, one meal a day I also add 1/4 patty of Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw (also single source protein foods) to both Jett & Callie's food (Jett is 5 1/2 lbs and Callie is 4 lbs) and Zoe gets 1/2 a patty (she is 9 lbs). Then I also throw into the rotation The Honest Kitchen (also dehydrated so not truly raw) Thrive (Turkey) and Embark (Yes it's another chicken and they already have a chicken food with Addiction. But it has quinoa in it that I like them to have on occasion.) And we also rotate in some of Grandma Lucy's Pureformance (I prefer the chickpeas over white potatoes-Artisan) the Goat and Rabbit formulas. All of these you rehydrate with warm water.

For treats we do Bravo Training Treats and Bonus Bites and Dehydrated strips (like jerky). All free range, no antibiotics or hormones, meat. That's it. No fillers, preservatives, colors, etc... We also do a lot of CocoTherapy's Veggie and Fruit Crunch and their 5 star training treats. Love Dr. Harvey's Sweet Potato Fries!! We do those for bedtime snacks. I never have to worry about them possibly choking on a fry vs. a whole sweet potato chew.

Supplements: We do daily plant based & dairy free Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes, Fish Oil, Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, and for a super antioxidant Bixbi's Immunity Blend. It's a blend of mushrooms. I mix that all up in one of their meals.

Chews: Merrick Corporal Caps, Bravo Dry Roasted Tracheas & Churpi Chews (in limited quantities due to the salt).

For me? Well...I'm kind of like Pat. If I took care of me like I do my fluffs, I'd be Cindy Crawford gorgeous!
Ooops! For chews we also do Elk Antlers. Jeez we have so many I'm forgetting some.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles' Mama View Post
We do daily plant based & dairy free Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes

Is there a certain brand???
Animal Essentials is the one that I know of that is plant based with no dairy. But sometimes a certain dog may need a different probiotic strain. So another one I like is the one by Mercola. But it is not dairy free and therefore not recommended for dogs with IBS or IBD issues.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
For all of those feeding kibble, just remember there is a direct correlation of the lack of moisture in dry kibble with UTI's, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, Struvite Crystals and stones. If you prefer to feed a kibble, then maybe think about soaking it in warm water. And it is a myth put out by Milk Bone years and years ago that they need something crunchy for their teeth.
Crystal is absolutely correct - I add 3 T of hot water to 1/4 cup of kibble and let it soak for about 5 minutes. The water cools to "warm" and moistens the kibble. Not only do they get adequate water this way, the warm water seems to bring out the flavor and aroma of the food and they gobble it right up. I haven't had a picky eater in all the years I've been doing this!
Advertisement