Food...it's driving me crazy! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

Pat I understand your frustration. Maddie is a picky eater, I home cook for her from time to time, I give her Stella and Chewy's but there are days she doesn't eat that. I tried Dr Harvey's when Matilda was alive but found it to be overwhelming at times with fixing protein.

Geneva had a bout with HGE when she was young so her breeder told me to be very careful about changing her food. I have Geneva on Royal Canine, Maltese, bichon. Crazy thing Maddie likes it also. I sprinkle a little Stella and Chewy on the kibble.

I ask my vet because I wanted to change Geneva's food, he told me to stay with the kibble she was on.

Sometimes I think talking with your vet might be the answer

Last edited by Matilda's mommy; 01-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Matilda's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Maggie

Paula, I agree with what you said. Maggie has been on low fat Royal Canin prescription food for sensitive stomachs for most of her life and has thrived on it. I talked to my vet about it and his feeling is that these companies such as Royal Canin or Hills spend millions on research. I know these brands are not generally recommended by sites such as Dog Food Advisor, but I will not change. I'm a believer in if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna

Ok girls,I'm joining you...slowly....

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

I am coming in really late here, but after reading the vet medical journal article and a lot of posts elsewhere, I am in the process of switching one tiny dog from a grain free kibble to a Royal Canin kibble for tiny senior dogs because I read that that company actually conducts feeding tests of its products. I had had one little dog on that same grain free kibble and although her digestion on it was great, she died on the operating table unexpectedly. Her little heart just stopped and they could not get it to start again. I have had quite a few small dogs who did well for years on Eukanuba, including one who lived to over 17. And more recently I have had my dogs on a Hills prescription diet for digestion and for lower fat. Anyway, I felt so bad about the possibility that the grain free diet may have contributed to the little dog's death that I am avoiding that for now and choosing a kibble that is from a manufacturer who already does significant feeding testing of its products. I don't see that anyone has posted a link to the journal article, so I will try.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Here's a link to the article, which I couldn't post via my new tablet.

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.253.11.1390
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I am coming in really late here, but after reading the vet medical journal article and a lot of posts elsewhere, I am in the process of switching one tiny dog from a grain free kibble to a Royal Canin kibble for tiny senior dogs because I read that that company actually conducts feeding tests of its products. I had had one little dog on that same grain free kibble and although her digestion on it was great, she died on the operating table unexpectedly. Her little heart just stopped and they could not get it to start again. I have had quite a few small dogs who did well for years on Eukanuba, including one who lived to over 17. And more recently I have had my dogs on a Hills prescription diet for digestion and for lower fat. Anyway, I felt so bad about the possibility that the grain free diet may have contributed to the little dog's death that I am avoiding that for now and choosing a kibble that is from a manufacturer who already does significant feeding testing of its products. I don't see that anyone has posted a link to the journal article, so I will try.
Hey there!!! I also feel guilty that Archie died of heart problems. And after all of my going crazy (which I did!!) I went (like a sheep) with others on fb to Purina Pro Plan, Sensitive Stomach and Skin. But now I only have one dog on it because Ava, Asia and Abbey are on a perscription food, Royal Canin Hepatic kibble. Well anyway, Chyna's tearing seems to have stopped since she's been on the Pro Plan, that's a good thing. Too soon to tell about Asia though, because she's kind of a tom boy and I'm not positive her muzzle hair is staining, or just discolored because she's got her face into everything! lol!!

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Hoping for the best for your little ones! Mine likes the RC (and so do the others who get a kibble or two as training/bribing treats), so that makes things easier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement