Food...it's driving me crazy! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Abbey, Ava, Asia, and Chyna
Default Food...it's driving me crazy!

Ok, so I've been feeding my dogs Dr. Harvey's for maybe 10 years now.

It's a dehydrated food, you add hot water and hydrate it, add your own protein (and rotate the protein weekly) and your own oil (rotate oil also).

Anyway, I'm getting tired of the work. But what the heck is going on in the dog food world???? Now I'm reading that grain free is bad??? something about the potatoes and beans inhibit the absorption of Taurine?? and Taurine is necessary or the pup may have heart problems? Is this right? I've joined one too many FB pages on dog foods and now I'm completely confused.

I can't believe I actually went to PetSmart yesterday and bought a bag of Purina Pro Plan kibble for Sensitive stomach and skin. Salmon. An experienced show breeder (of chihuahuas) switched to this and said her dogs never looked better!!!!!! PURINA! This just all sounds so wrong somehow...LOL!!! My plan is to eventually stop cooking meat and just mix this kibble with the Dr. Harvey's....well see...

Anyone else here making any changes to their food?

Abby, Ava, Asia, Adele and Chyna
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12, Suki 1/4/14, Ling Ling 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

I wouldn't worry about the taurine, if that's why your changing foods.
Here's an article if you want to read it.
https://drjeandoddspethealthresource...e#.XCkJ9us8KrV
Old 12-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Just keep them on the good food & throw them a sardine once a week! That is my choice. I belong to the FB site (a bit slanted for my open mind) that is causing loud noises about this. I also read Dr. Jean Dodds & other articles to try to keep me in balance. There are no medical studies to my satisfaction yet! Time will tell..

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

If you read the articles about taurine, you'll see that the foods correlating (not causing) to taurine deficiency are all kibble. So, kibble is not something I'd use - grain free or not. I know it's a pain to cook, but my two have never been better than on honest kitchen base mix plus my own cooked protein. I cook a big batch every other week and freeze it in small containers so it's not so time consuming.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
I wouldn't worry about the taurine, if that's why your changing foods.
Here's an article if you want to read it.
https://drjeandoddspethealthresource...e#.XCkJ9us8KrV
Thanks. I started reading the article and got interrupted, will finish it when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Just keep them on the good food & throw them a sardine once a week! That is my choice. I belong to the FB site (a bit slanted for my open mind) that is causing loud noises about this. I also read Dr. Jean Dodds & other articles to try to keep me in balance. There are no medical studies to my satisfaction yet! Time will tell..
I agree that every dog is unique and that I should find the perfect food for each pup. I just was thinking of taking a break from cooking so much of the time, and Abby is starting to not eat it!!! Dr. Harvey's is a good food, and I've tried several other dehydrated foods...they won't touch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
If you read the articles about taurine, you'll see that the foods correlating (not causing) to taurine deficiency are all kibble. So, kibble is not something I'd use - grain free or not. I know it's a pain to cook, but my two have never been better than on honest kitchen base mix plus my own cooked protein. I cook a big batch every other week and freeze it in small containers so it's not so time consuming.
Oh Maggie, I've been making this food for so long, I make large batches and mix it, large batches and keep it separate, large batches and divide into individual baggies. I'm getting tired of it, and Abby isn't eating it anymore.....I'm going to try to just hydrate the food and add kibble to it. ...just to see how they do. i know of a few top show breeders who feed this same kibble and say the dogs look better than ever.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I've been scratching my head over the same thing. I too joined the FB page. The push towards Purina (and some other foods we would never dream of feeding them) just doesn't sit right with me. It's all the foods that we've steered clear of for years. And Nestle Purina is the maker of Beneful which has made so many dogs so sick (one of our family's dogs nearly died)...and many others died? I just can't swallow this. I know that they're a mega-company that has a lot of money and sway and this just seems bizarre to me. Too much of a boon for them.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I've been scratching my head over the same thing. I too joined the FB page. The push towards Purina (and some other foods we would never dream of feeding them) just doesn't sit right with me. It's all the foods that we've steered clear of for years. And Nestle Purina is the maker of Beneful which has made so many dogs so sick (one of our family's dogs nearly died)...and many others died? I just can't swallow this. I know that they're a mega-company that has a lot of money and sway and this just seems bizarre to me. Too much of a boon for them.
...and what makes me even crazier is if you actually ask these "experts" which food they think is the best...they tell you to do your research. OMG, I'm not an expert and I don't want to research!!!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post

Sue, I am suspicious of the whole issue and wonder if your last sentence doesn't say it all? After all, there's no research on whether the food causes heart problems, only anecdotes reported supposedly to the FDA. Who benefits from this? Purina. The FDA "warning" isn't backed by research but is clearly intended to cause alarm.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I thought this post was about all the Christmas foods 'we' have been eating ie the chocolate and nilla biscuits I just ate while wondering what to eat for lunch.
seriously though I feed the pets Rx foods from the vet and they do well, but I wish really they were on a regular food that was good quality...you'd think that was a simple thing to choose off the shelf. There's not much variety here like Dr. Harvey's or Honest kitchen and it would be a fortune to order.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

Pat, I had been cooking like you for years. Dr Harvey’s/Sojos/Honest Kitchen veggie mix mixed with organic chicken or beef. Cooking in batches and rotating.
Max recently was itchy, and the vet suggested trying a novel protein. So we tried Primal raw frozen Venison, and they all loved it. Licked their plates clean. Food is better digested. Bunnie’s fur has gotten fuller.
I am now rotating between Primal and Stella & Chewy’s raw frozen. A few different proteins. It costs about the same as coooking, and I am enjoying the break from all of the work.
I originally started cooking because I wanted to be able to control the qualify of the protein, but Stella & Chewy’s uses organic, grass free so I am hoping the quality is similar to what I would buy.
I really worry about kibble. Not only the quality of the ingredients, but also the effect that the processing has on the nutrition.
Have you tried raw frozen? Maybe worth a try to see how they do and if they like it.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement