Dr. Dodds Updated Liver Diet - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzan
Dog's Name: Keiko & Nikki

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Apr 9 2009, 02:15 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Apr 9 2009, 01:43 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (tamizami @ Apr 9 2009, 12:46 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (princessre @ Apr 8 2009, 02:18 PM)
Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounds totally clueless, but how would one go about cooking this?[/B]
I put this recipe in the Recipe section of SM a year ago when Jean gave us the diet to lower ALT levels. I slice the potatoes and put in a baking dish, clean and layer the fish over the potatoes and bake at about 400F for 20-40 minutes - until the edges of the fish get crispy.

The liver cleansing diet is just the fish, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Once the dog's liver numbers have come down you can add the other ingredients (we rotate different vegetables and use different white fish each time as well). Its all cooked the same, except with carrots I steam them a little first, otherwise they are still too hard after baking.

Once you remove the mixture, put it in a bowl and hand mix it. I do not use canola oil, but rotate olive, salmon and cod liver oil and mix that in. I add a multivitamin powder to each day's meal (we use Animal Essentials Multi vitamin and calcium supplement). You can also add a probiotic if you want.

Hope that helps!
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I might try this for a while, just for a change. Nikki's home made recipe is very similar to this, but I haven't tried it with the cod yet. I would make it like you do, adding Animal Essentials Multi and Calcium, and either olive oil or hemp oil.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you just add more oil if you substitute olive or another oil for canola oil?

I know most recipes specifically state canola oil like this updated liver diet does:

"Please use canola oil as other oils do not contain similar amounts of linoleic acid."
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hemp oil has a good blend of Omega 3-6-9. If I used canola, I'd use organic. I use it only once in a while, as it is very refined, even the organic.
Nikki's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Apr 9 2009, 03:13 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounds totally clueless, but how would one go about cooking this?[/B]
I put this recipe in the Recipe section of SM a year ago when Jean gave us the diet to lower ALT levels. I slice the potatoes and put in a baking dish, clean and layer the fish over the potatoes and bake at about 400F for 20-40 minutes - until the edges of the fish get crispy.

The liver cleansing diet is just the fish, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Once the dog's liver numbers have come down you can add the other ingredients (we rotate different vegetables and use different white fish each time as well). Its all cooked the same, except with carrots I steam them a little first, otherwise they are still too hard after baking.

Once you remove the mixture, put it in a bowl and hand mix it. I do not use canola oil, but rotate olive, salmon and cod liver oil and mix that in. I add a multivitamin powder to each day's meal (we use Animal Essentials Multi vitamin and calcium supplement). You can also add a probiotic if you want.

Hope that helps!
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I might try this for a while, just for a change. Nikki's home made recipe is very similar to this, but I haven't tried it with the cod yet. I would make it like you do, adding Animal Essentials Multi and Calcium, and either olive oil or hemp oil.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know most recipes specifically state canola oil like this updated liver diet does:

"Please use canola oil as other oils do not contain similar amounts of linoleic acid."
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hemp oil has a good blend of Omega 3-6-9. If I used canola, I'd use organic. The regular is genetically modified. I use canola only once in a while, as it is very refined, even the organic. Edited to add: I give Nikki raw (unpasteurized) milk once a week. It has linoleic acid in it.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm not a big fan of canola oil - isn't it a genetically modified plant? Anyway, I like to rotate different oils and forgot to mention hemp, which Suzan taught me.

I also give mine 1/8 teaspoon of raw, organic coconut oil too, a few times a week - they love it, thank you Suzan!

tamizami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (tamizami @ Apr 9 2009, 04:49 PM)
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of canola oil - isn't it a genetically modified plant? Anyway, I like to rotate different oils and forgot to mention hemp, which Suzan taught me.

I also give mine 1/8 teaspoon of raw, organic coconut oil too, a few times a week - they love it, thank you Suzan! [/B]

Oh yes, I forgot about that coconut oil. Nikki loves it, too.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Apr 9 2009, 06:16 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

I also give mine 1/8 teaspoon of raw, organic coconut oil too, a few times a week - they love it, thank you Suzan! [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]

I read that coconut oil was a good choice for dogs with digestive problems (Lady had HGE three times), but am always so hesitant to make substitutions to a recipe. I know most recipes are balanced using the linoleic content of canola oil.

Coconut oil has so many other health benefits, too.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Apr 9 2009, 08:03 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Apr 9 2009, 06:16 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

[/B][/QUOTE]

I read that coconut oil was a good choice for dogs with digestive problems (Lady had HGE three times), but am always so hesitant to make substitutions to a recipe. I know most recipes are balanced using the linoleic content of canola oil.

Coconut oil has so many other health benefits, too.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I used to worry a lot about sticking perfectly to a recipe, but I don't worry so much anymore. But in your case, Lady has more than one health issue, so I understand.

BTW, I don't even add the coconut oil to Nikki's food. I give it to her as a treat. She licks it off a spoon. 1/4 teaspoon every few days. (Or at least when I remember, lol.)
Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten

a nutritionist told me hemp oil and coconut oil are vergy good. I gave dd 1/4 tsp of coconut oil every day for a year but also read it increases red blood cell count and can affect their arteries so i got nervous and now only use as a topical. Dee Dee loves coconut oil. I never used the hemp oil. The nutiva is suppose to be the best hemp oil but the best coconut oil is this one below as it is very pure and i like it much better than nutiva

http://www.qualityfirst.on.ca/CVO.htm

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Apr 9 2009, 03:13 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!
[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hemp oil has a good blend of Omega 3-6-9. If I used canola, I'd use organic. I use it only once in a while, as it is very refined, even the organic.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten

when i did elimination diet with dee dee derm had me use safflower oil instead of canola oil -- what is the difference in those as i never researched that ?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

QUOTE (dwerten @ Apr 9 2009, 11:37 PM)
Quote:
when i did elimination diet with dee dee derm had me use safflower oil instead of canola oil -- what is the difference in those as i never researched that ?[/B]
I've come across recipes that call for safflower oil instead of canola, usually older recipes.

Here's a breakdown of which oils contain what amounts of linoleic acid:

Oils and foods that contain linoleic acid include corn oil (59 %),cottonseed oil (49-58%), soybean oil (51%), safflower oil (78%), poppy seed oil (70%), hemp oil (50-70%), canola oil (21%), walnut oil (51%), grain-fed cow milk, olive oil (10%), palm oil (10%), sunflower oil (68%), lard (10%), egg yolks (16%), spirulina, peanut oil (48%), okra, rice bran oil (39%), wheat germ oil (55%), grape seed oil (73%), macadamia oil (1-3%), pistachio oil (32.7%), sesame oil (45%), cocoa butter (3%), coconut oil (2%), butter (2%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

It looks like coconut oil doesn't contain nearly enough, but hemp oil and safflower oil contain quite a bit.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Coconut oil is not a substitute for the other oils, but a supplement to them. It's the lauric acid in it which has a huge benefit. I use the Nutiva brand because it's organic and I can get it cheap on amazon. I also use Nutiva hemp oil.

Coconut oil facts

I use it as a body moisturizer and in cooking, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement