Home Cookers can you please post what you feed - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten

I was hoping everyone that homecooks could post their diet including all supplements and how they feed daily to help those of us that are strongly considering it with all the food recalls

also please make a note if you dog has any health issues

Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Lacy, Rylie, & London

I feed a combination of Homecooked with Ziwi Peak dehydrated raw. The nutritionist I consulted said that if I feed homecooked along with raw, I won't need to supplement anything. They get a portion of ziwi peak and homecooked at each meal. Our homecooked recipe is very low in fat and moderate protein and ziwi peak is high protein/high fat so the total diet equals out to be moderate-high protein and moderate fat.

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten

thanks so much do any of your dogs have any health issues? I am going to add that as well right now as that will help us too

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 11:23 PM)
Quote:
I feed a combination of Homecooked with Ziwi Peak dehydrated raw. The nutritionist I consulted said that if I feed homecooked along with raw, I won't need to supplement anything. They get a portion of ziwi peak and homecooked at each meal. Our homecooked recipe is very low in fat and moderate protein and ziwi peak is high protein/high fat so the total diet equals out to be moderate-high protein and moderate fat.

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together[/B]

Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 14 2009, 10:26 PM)
Quote:
thanks so much do any of your dogs have any health issues? I am going to add that as well right now as that will help us too

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 11:23 PM)
Quote:

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Rylie has never had any health issues. Lacy didn't either until this year. Last fall she had days about once every two weeks where she wouldn't eat and would throw up or have diarrhea. In January she went in for a checkup and full bloodwork...her bile acids were a little high for pre and post (around 50). She had an ultrasound and then a liver biopsy. She ended up having Hepatic Lipidosis. We also did GI bloodwork and her folate and cobalamine levels were low. We never got a difinitive diagnosis with the GI issues because we would have had to do an intestinal biopsy but our main thought was Inflammatory Bowel Disease....there have been cases where humans have had IBD and fatty liver developed secondarily so it would make sense. Before this she was eating all raw (nature's variety). We then went to strictly homecooked for almost 3 months for her along with tylan, a probiotic and vitamin B injections. She was doing so well and hadn't been sick since the switch so we then added some ziwi peak into her diet. So far so good...no more GI upset and hoping it continues. She gets a couple more vitamin B injections and then in August we will redo bloodwork again to see how everything is looking with her.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

I switch the meat source and veggies around but basically either chicken, beef or turkey (ground or chunks) boiled then I add brown rice, broccoli, carrots, spinach, sometimes snap peas, some times green beans or peas. As I serve the portions I add the bone meal each meal and the Animal Essentials Vitamins one day and the Greens the alternate day. I also add their Omega oils in either sardine, salmon or cod.

Dr. Harvey makes a pre mix just add meat and Grandma Lucy makes a dehydrated complete meal both have everything included. Unfortunately none of mine like them except for Snoopy.
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Lady has liver disease from nine years of phenobarbital for seizures, is diabetic, and had three episodes of HGE in four months about a year ago. It's hard to know what causes HGE, but we think she wasn't digesting her food and bacteria was building up in her digestive tract. Her pancreas is probably not producing digestive enzymes on it's own anymore.

I simply ran out of commercial foods she could eat. I have been homecooking for Lady for almost a year now and the results have been dramatic. She hasn't had any digestive problems since and has finally gained back the weight she lost over the past couple of years.

Here's her recipe:

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 hard boiled egg
1 cup salmon or whitefish (tilapia)
1 large sweet potato
1 T Canola oil
1 tsp bone meal
1 tsp salt substitute

She gets Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics with each meal, AE multivitamin once a day and a 3V cap (fish oil) daily.

She also gets Transfer Factor (colostrum) to boost her immune system, Cosequin, and Marin and Denosyl for liver support.

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

I forgot the probiotics!
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lynne
Dog's Name: Angel, Annie, Speckles
Send a message via AIM to angel's mom Send a message via Yahoo to angel's mom

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jun 14 2009, 11:02 PM)
Quote:
Lady has liver disease from nine years of phenobarbital for seizures, is diabetic, and had three episodes of HGE in four months about a year ago. It's hard to know what causes HGE, but we think she wasn't digesting her food and bacteria was building up in her digestive tract. Her pancreas is probably not producing digestive enzymes on it's own anymore.

I simply ran out of commercial foods she could eat. I have been homecooking for Lady for almost a year now and the results have been dramatic. She hasn't had any digestive problems since and has finally gained back the weight she lost over the past couple of years.

Here's her recipe:

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 hard boiled egg
1 cup salmon or whitefish (tilapia)
1 T Canola oil
1 tsp bone meal
1 tsp salt substitute

She gets Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics with each meal, AE multivitamin once a day and a 3V cap (fish oil) daily.

She also gets Transfer Factor (colostrum) to boost her immune system, Cosequin, and Marin and Denosyl for liver support.[/B]
Marj, how many meals does that make for Lady?

angel's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dr. Harvey's is an easy way to do home cooked expecially if you are new to it and make sure you're dog gets all the vitamins and minerals they need. I've been using it for about 2 months now and the dogs love it. I've noticed better breath, reduced tear stains and better behavior. Dr. Harvey has a diet with or without grain and you can rotate the source of protein and the oils you add. You don't need to supplement the diet but I do add a multi-vitamin, salmon oil, probiotics and glucosamine.

Crystal (Crystal&Zoe) knows a lot more about it - if you have questions she sells it and her dogs eat it as well. - http://stores.pamperedpetboutiquellc.com/StoreFront.bok

Good luck,

Leslie

wooflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 10:23 PM)
Quote:

I forgot to mention that they both get fish oil with their morning meal (I use Eicosaderm) and they get 1/4tsp olive oil with their evening meal.