Who are the real "show breeders"? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, CherryB, Cherish, Charm, Cricket, Conan, Cosette, Chaplain & Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashulia25 View Post
thank you for pinning this, helpful topic, but I am confused about this
it is a red flag when none of the dogs they have bred are shown or finished (or if they are finished they are only finished when someone else bought them and finished them).

(I should concede the point here that I do not yet have a finished dog from my own breeding, but I have only bred one litter and two of the puppies from that litter are currently in the ring and hopefully will both be finished).
So, the litter was from not shown dogs(pets) and now 2 puppies on their way to championship, correct? Are the rest puppies were sold/ gifted as a pet puppies?
Please explain as now I am confused seriously, as before I was told that if I don't show my dog/s then I could not breed them
Thank you
No, that is not correct. Neither of my dogs were bred at all until they finished their championships. Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that I own these dogs, but bought them from reputable breeders who served as my mentors.

I started out with one show dog purchased from an established show breeder. Under the contract from his breeder he was not to be bred until he was finished (I would not have bred him anyway, without the title, but this was the rule a reputable breeder will often stipulate in their contract). When he was finished his breeder took him to one of her girls and proved him. His daughter from that litter was shown and had two majors by the time she was 8 months old. She later went on to get her championship at our national specialty by taking a major for Best of Winners.

I did not breed a litter myself until I finished him and then also finished my girl Cadie who was also purchased from an established show breeder and contractually expected to be finished before breeding. When I bred her Cadie was almost 2 years old (having finished her championship 6 months prior). So both parents were finished before they were bred.

The parents were Ch. Jacob's Beau Cadeau des Anges x Ch. MaltAngel Cascading Starlight.

At the time that I posted this I was working on getting championships on the puppy girls from that litter. Both of them now have their championship. The third, a boy, was never shown, although he certainly was show quality, he is in a loving pet home. He is fixed and will never be bred, but he may enter the ring with a junior handler. And one of the girls is just a few points from getting her Grand Championship.

I have also gotten Rally obedience titles on Mother and daughter.

I agree with whoever told you that you should not be breeding your dogs until you have proven them in the ring.

Last edited by CloudClan; 05-28-2013 at 01:57 AM.
CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Natalya
Dog's Name: Teddy & Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
No, that is not correct. Neither of my dogs were bred at all until they finished their championships....
Thank you so much , I am sorry if I ask something wrong, it is just these words made me confused "I do not yet have a finished dog from my own breeding, but I have only bred one litter"
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, CherryB, Cherish, Charm, Cricket, Conan, Cosette, Chaplain & Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashulia25 View Post
Thank you so much , I am sorry if I ask something wrong, it is just these words made me confused "I do not yet have a finished dog from my own breeding, but I have only bred one litter"
Right... I went back to edit my reply where I think the confusion stems from. I bought these two dogs that were the sire and dam of my first litter from two different established show breeders who served as my mentors. I bought one, showed him, finished him, and then went in search of a female I could also show and finish.

This post is a bit old. But I have now bred three litters myself. And of those three litters all of the parents were finished. In my first litter I went on to finish the two girls and in the second litter a boy is out showing currently, in the third litter, I have a new show prospect girl who turned 6 months today and is going to make her debut soon.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Natalya
Dog's Name: Teddy & Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
Right... I went back to edit my reply where I think the confusion stems from. I bought these two dogs that were the sire and dam of my first litter from two different established show breeders who served as my mentors. I bought one, showed him, finished him, and then went in search of a female I could also show and finish.

This post is a bit old. But I have now bred three litters myself. And of those three litters all of the parents were finished. In my first litter I went on to finish the two girls and in the second litter a boy is out showing currently, in the third litter, I have a new show prospect girl who turned 6 months today and is going to make her debut soon.
Thank you so much Congrats on your little girl
Advertisement